All Terrain Tires - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > All Terrain Tires

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 04-24-2007, 10:11 PM   #91
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

anyone got any other pictures of the Dick Cepek FC2s?

PLEASE??

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #92
Dresnick

Here is what the FC-IIs look like mounted. These are 31X10.5X15 on a CJ with a BDS 2.5" lift. Had MTRs, but I have to do a lot of highway driving this summer and the noise was killing me. Was cautious about switching because I wanted an agressive look. I am really please with the FC-IIs so far. In my opinion, they look just as agressive as the MTR, but not nearly as noisy--they are as quiet as my wife's mini-van tires. Have not done in any offroading, but it will be hard to beat the MTR in that area.
jeep-after-c.jpg  
Dresnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #93
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresnick
Here is what the FC-IIs look like mounted. These are 31X10.5X15 on a CJ with a BDS 2.5" lift. Had MTRs, but I have to do a lot of highway driving this summer and the noise was killing me. Was cautious about switching because I wanted an agressive look. I am really please with the FC-IIs so far. In my opinion, they look just as agressive as the MTR, but not nearly as noisy--they are as quiet as my wife's mini-van tires. Have not done in any offroading, but it will be hard to beat the MTR in that area.
How do they handle in rain/snow (if you get any)/ice?

and if you have any front shots, that'd be wonderful!

Thanks for the pic!

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 05-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #94
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I personally love and highly recommend the Master Craft CT tire for an all terrain tire. It's OK in mud. On all other surfaces it's fantastic and quiet on the road too.

I personally love and highly recommend the Cooper Discoverer ST tire for an all terrain tire. It's OK on ice. On all other surfaces it's fantastic and quiet on the road too. This tire is amazingly good in mud for an all terrain. Probably the best AT in the mud. It's really an all terrain and a mud tire rolled into one, and that was Cooper's design goal.

These are the best tires I've ever owned. My BFG AT was also nice, but poor in mud, and not as good on ice as the Master Craft CT. Both the Master Craft CT and Cooper Discoverer ST are equally as quiet (or loud) on road as my BFG ATs where. All 3 of them are way quieter than the Goodyear Wrangler MTRs my Jeep came with.

Goodyear Wrangler MTRs gave me a head ache after about 20 miles on the freeway. The Master Craft CT, Cooper ST, and BFG AT are pleasant on the road (quiet enough and good handling on wet or dry pavement), and excellent off road, though the BFG AT is challenged (poor) in mud.

Last edited by CB3; 05-03-2007 at 07:37 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #95
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

After thoughts: The Master Craft CT and Cooper Discoverer ST are very well priced and affordable compared to the BFG AT and Goodyear Wrangler MTR.

Yet these mid priced tires out perform those two more expensive ones by a wide margin in my experiences with each of these tires.

None the less, I'd still recommend the BFG AT as a great tire for anything except mud. I wouldn't recommend the Goodyear Wrangler MTRs to anyone but a deaf person. I hate tires that give me a noise induced headache (MTRs). After I get a headache (literally), then I don't care what else the tire might be capable of.
Unread 05-04-2007, 02:50 AM   #96
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you want to increase your tire's puncture resistance and side wall strength to resist a torn sidewall, get a higher load rated tire.

For example, a TJ's weight vehicle normally gets a load rated C tire (1/2 ton), but that has a thin sidewall and weak tread area. That's a passenger car load rating. Very weak against sidewall damage or tread punctures.

Rubicon TJ's, at mine, came with load rated E tires (1 ton truck tire) to resist flat, side wall tears, etc. Load range E tires are TOUGH and darned near bullet proof. However, they make a TJ or LJ ride like a buck board. It's not worth it.

So I prefer a load range D tire (3/4 truck tire) on my LJ. That gives adequate tread and sidewall strength to resist punctures, tearing, and damage, yet still has a decent ride and decent gas mileage.

So when I'm recommending any tire for a Cherokee, TJ, or LJ, it goes without saying that I'm recommending against getting a load range C tire of any brand because that is to weak. A load range D tire is ideal for those wanting a tough tire that rides decent. A load range E is ideal for those wanting the very toughest tire and don't care about a rough ride or gas mileage. So choose what suits your tastes from either the D or the E, but never choose a C. That applies to any brand of tire on a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, TJ, LJ, or the new 2007 Wranglers too.
Unread 05-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #97
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

These are my 3 fav tires. BFG AT is an excellent AT. The Master Craft CT is an excellent more aggressive AT. The Cooper ST is a cross between an AT and an MT (i.e. - it's the most aggressive AT made). Anything more aggressive than a Cooper ST is a mud tire.
Unread 05-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #98
JP7806

Guys, I have the stock wheels and tires 225/75R15 in my Wrangler X. For now I want to keep the stock wheels but want to upgrade to better tires for good performance off road and decent handling for a daily driver. What would you recommend? What is the widest tire you think will fit my stock rims?
JP7806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #99
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP7806
Guys, I have the stock wheels and tires 225/75R15 in my Wrangler X. For now I want to keep the stock wheels but want to upgrade to better tires for good performance off road and decent handling for a daily driver. What would you recommend? What is the widest tire you think will fit my stock rims?
the largest size i would run is a 30x10.50r15 stock.

however, I would throw on a BB for a couple hundred and at least run a 31 - 32, especially if you're going to be buying tires anyway. It would be worth the wait if you want to go bigger.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:34 PM   #100
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd also include the Dick Cepek Fun Country as an all time great AT tire, along with the others I like.

Here's the AT tires I like in order from least to most aggressive tread: BFG AT, Dick Cepek Fun Country, Master Craft CT, Cooper Discoverer ST.

I think those are the all time greatest AT tires ever made, and currently made. Which one is best depends on how aggressive you want to go, and how good you want to do on mud vs ice.

The BFG AT, Dick Cepek Fun Country, Master Craft CT are excellent on street, and the Cooper ST is good enough on street.

Last edited by CB3; 05-08-2007 at 10:38 PM..
Unread 05-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #101
goldrush
do it on a dogsled

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I have to add the Goodyear Silentarmors to the AT roster

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...72#post3688872
#200 v.2 black jeep club
goldrush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #102
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrush
I have to add the Goodyear Silentarmors to the AT roster

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...72#post3688872
They don't look aggressive enough for off-road to me. Certainly not for mud.
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #103
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3
They don't look aggressive enough for off-road to me. Certainly not for mud.
Much better voids in the silent armor than BFG A/T.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #104
n467us
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairy
These tires seem to be left out.... I will give a full report in the future when they are installed... Goodyear Silent Armors. 33x12.5x15

So, where is this report on the GY's
Yellow Jeep Club #007 "All God's creatures have their place, right next to the sweet taters and purple hull peas!"
n467us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #105
n467us
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Review of GY Silent Armor

OK, so I went out and dropped $909 (lifetime rotation and balance w/road hazzard. The base price of the tire was $168ea) on a set of GY Wrangler Silent Armors' in 285/75R16 (got tired of the roaring Pro Comp Mud Terrains, besides I am not big into the cleanup after mudding ).

I had a great time during the severe weather in the Texas Hill Country this past weekend. I was able to test the Jeep and tires on a lot of surfaces. Most of them were very, very wet.

1. Road noise/handling-What noise? I was totally surprised to find that at 36psi this tire was as quiet as the hiway tires on my 1500 Ram. It handled well and at no time did I ever loose traction on take off or during some pretty hard braking. Cornering on dry and wet roads were fantastic.

2. Off road(graded road-heavy rain and high water)-I managed to get into various terrain situations at and near Belton Lake and Stillhouse Hollow Lake. Water crossing was good on the Jeep and tires. And several places had swift moving water no more that 3' deep. Most of it was 1-2 feet deep (Yes pictures were taken but for some reason not recorded to the disc) on the various graded county and Corps of Engineer park roads traction and control were very good.

3. Off road(mud and river right of ways)- I found only one place to try the Jeep and tires out on a combination of incline and standing mud/water. In both 4L and 4H the Jeep preformed very well. The tires did work well, but these are NOT mud tires. I selected my routes carefully. Had I gotten stuck, I would have been there for some time. The tires did crawl through some deep ruts filled w/water. But this was not East Texas gumbo. Had it been I would have avoided it. I avoided spinning the tires and after complete track (about three miles) was satisfied with their performance. No problems, and it was raining so hard one couldn't see 10' in front of the Jeep. Because of the rain there was no way to test river crossings.

4. Recovery(grassy parking lot)- As you can expect, with all this rain there were several chances to see how the Jeep/tires would act in recovery mode. In one park area I found three Dodge Ram 4x4's that were stuck. One was stuck from trying to get one other out and the third was stuck trying to go around the first two. With the help of a couple of tow straps I set the Jeep up on the graded road and pulled all three free of the muck.
Payment-cold beer

So you guessed it, I am pleased with these tires. I would never go off into a mud bog with them unless (still have the Pro Comps in the garage in case I wanna go play in the mud) I had a winch, but they seemed to work out very well for me.
Hope this review helps someone. The GY Silent Armor Wranglers good on the Jeep as well.
Yellow Jeep Club #007 "All God's creatures have their place, right next to the sweet taters and purple hull peas!"
n467us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
a/t , all terrain , all-terrain , popular , tires , variations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.