All Terrain Tires - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > All Terrain Tires

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #271
jevink88
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarrior View Post
This thread is really hard to get a concensus out of.

My take so far (from many sources), and is only for a limited grouping of tires.

BF Goodrich is really the way to go if you are not sure and don't have a ton of money, but aren't 'poor' either. the A/T KO have been around forever, and are well loved by many (this is especially true among storm chasers who I find are a great resource). The Mud versions are nearly as great, but really only needed if you are doing a bit of off-roading.

Goodyear Duratecs being the next popular do require more of an investment, and are capable, but also somewhat of an aesthetic choice.

Goodyear Wrangler Authority (Wal-Mart) while having a similar tread warrant to the BF G's don't seem to have the user feedback). They are largely ignored by the off-road community due to the Wal-Mart sourcing. The benefit here, versus other tires is the road hazard warranty being honored anywhere in the US, which is especially good for travelers (this is my thought).

Definity Dakota AT (Pep Boy's) is only slightly popular, and like the Wal-Mart attribute, can be had with a road hazard and locations throughout the country (although much more limited no. of locations). They are probably the cheapest you can get as well (low bid idea comes to mind here).

Firestones still have a stigma, Falken seem to be for those 'in the know' and may be expensive (haven't researched those). Kumho's are not that popular and seem to have a following more with cross segment gearheads (import crowd). I personally won't ever buy them.

This is just some things I've found over the past week of searching, as well as a long time gear head. I could easily be wrong. I wish there was a more organized thread, site, etc. about tires that isn't part of the tirerack.com stuff. Maybe I've just yet to find it....or build it.
Just a quick note.

The BFG AT's are a great overall tire, but one big downfall I've noticed over the years is they kind of suck in snow.

The Wrangler Authority (Wal-Mart) are just wal-mart's version of the Duratrac. The only real difference is who sells them.

As for Falkens, they're actually a cheaper tire in comparison to the other popular choices. (I picked up my 255/65/17 Rocky Mountains from Discount tire for $145/ea)

Unread 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #272
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevink88 View Post
Just a quick note.

The BFG AT's are a great overall tire, but one big downfall I've noticed over the years is they kind of suck in snow.

The Wrangler Authority (Wal-Mart) are just wal-mart's version of the Duratrac. The only real difference is who sells them.

As for Falkens, they're actually a cheaper tire in comparison to the other popular choices. (I picked up my 255/65/17 Rocky Mountains from Discount tire for $145/ea)
The BFG AT's are great looking tires but they're dinosaurs and some complain that they're a bit too noisy.

The Wrangler Authority (Wal-Mart) is a cheaper and lower quality version of the Duratrac, there's a little more to it than who's selling them. Don't believe me, just get an up close look at the tread pattern and blocks, it's not exactly the same. When I researched them heavily it seemed that users were much happier with the Duratracs. I was able to get four new Duratracs on the internet for less than you paid for the Falkens (I haven't researched those). Search around a little and remember that Goodyear sometimes offers the Tread Lightly discount, mine was $100 and I had to pay $20 for the Tread Lightly membership ....so I saved $80. I've forgotten the exact net total but I was well under $600 even with shipping included for the Duratracs (one year ago).

So far I couldn't be happier with the Duratracs, just all around very VERY good. One note of caution for serious off-roaders though, from what I've read they are NOT a good choice for rock crawling and the like due to a somewhat weak 2-ply sidewall. I believe this because they ride very smoothly which is in part due to soft sidewalls I would expect.

One interesting note about my experience with my 31x10.50 Duratracs (call BS if you want to) .....I installed them in November of 2010 with 28 PSI in the fronts and 26 in the rears. Now it's January 15, 2012 and I STILL HAVE NOT PUT AIR IN THEM!!! .....28 PSI in the front (yes, COLD) and 26 PSI in the rear. CRAZY!?!?!?!
05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #273
jevink88
2002 WJ 

Man, you must of gotten a heck of a deal on those Duratracs. When I was looking at them they were almost $850 for the set installed. On a side note, I did some checking and although close in pattern, the Authorities and Duratracs are in fact different.

The Falkens are a 2-ply for the P metric sizes. If you get the LT sizes they come in a 3-ply sidewall. And I will agree that they probably wouldn't do great as a rock crawler tire. I've done some minor mudding and trail riding and did just fine with them.
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #274
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevink88 View Post
Man, you must of gotten a heck of a deal on those Duratracs. When I was looking at them they were almost $850 for the set installed. On a side note, I did some checking and although close in pattern, the Authorities and Duratracs are in fact different.

The Falkens are a 2-ply for the P metric sizes. If you get the LT sizes they come in a 3-ply sidewall. And I will agree that they probably wouldn't do great as a rock crawler tire. I've done some minor mudding and trail riding and did just fine with them.
I believe I got the Duratracs from Treadepot.com for like $100 off ...they were having a sale and I think the shipping was free. I used some online price comparison tool and found them that way. Then when I added the Goodyear/Tread Lightly discount it knocked off another $80. Had them installed at WalMart for about $60 and that included new valve stems and lifetime balancing. Not a problem since and like I said I've never needed to add air, to me that is strange but a good sign of course ...better than the alternative. They are quiet on the road (very mild hum that I find pleasant and cool) and ride very smooth, handling is "ok" which is all you should expect from a tready tire like this, nice and stable at high speed which I didn't expect. Excellent in mud and snow. When they were new I did some extreme 4x4 drifting and donuts in an icy/snowy parking lot and they held up to some abuse (intermittent chunks of ice mixed in the snow) ...so in that respect the sidewalls ovbiously aren't excessively weak in spite of their bad reputation for rock use. I don't do serious rock stuff so I think they'll be fine for my mild offroad use. Tread wear so far is VERY good but I'm only at about 12K, anyway ....looooong way to go.
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #275
jepp
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have Dayton Timberlines 31/10.5/15 LT load range C they work just fine, even tread wear, good traction even in some mud. they are good strong tires and they do ride a little rough, not to loud on the highway. overall I would say they are good tires.
jepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #276
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0660 View Post
so here goes...I have a 2011 wrangler sport...extremely stripped down version. It has 225/75 r16's on it. The plain wheels i dont mind as much....but the tires are laughable. seriously. Anyways...what is the biggest tire i can put on it without lifting, leveling, rubbing, or using spacers. this is my daily driver and not looking to go nuts with it. Thanks for your help. Im sure this question and answer has been posted but i cant seem to find it.
285/75-16 will fit, and will only rub if you go offroad and flex the suspension. However, if you keep the stock wheels you will have to be careful of the rear tires rubbing the sway bar links. So, these are the largest that will fit with no suspension lift.

If you want the largest that will fit with no suspension lift AND stock wheels with no spacers.. then 265/75-16 would be it.

BFG KO is the most over-rated tire on earth, and is stupid expensive. Avoid it. There are lots of much better options now that it's 2012 and they are less expensive. The BFG KO was a great tire.. back in the 1980s.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #277
grunt0341
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Tires

I just put 4 new Firestone Destination A/T on my 02 TJ (31x1050x15). I was floored as to the smooth ride these gave me right away. They are exremely quite and a world of difference cornering. I was constantly turning the stereo up and down while driving. Not with these. They say that these, as well as most tires, will ride a little rougher during break in period which is 500. I'm happy now, can't wait till the 500 miles are done. The tread looks agressive. The come with white lettering. I chose to turn the tires around to have all black. I purchased these at Tire Rack and was suprised that this tire was rated #1 and cost $148.00. I know a lot of people have a certain brand they prefer But I am 100% happy with my choice and the ride so different it's unreal.
Just my 2 cents
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #278
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt0341 View Post
I just put 4 new Firestone Destination A/T on my 02 TJ (31x1050x15). I was floored as to the smooth ride these gave me right away. They are exremely quite and a world of difference cornering. I was constantly turning the stereo up and down while driving. Not with these. They say that these, as well as most tires, will ride a little rougher during break in period which is 500. I'm happy now, can't wait till the 500 miles are done. The tread looks agressive. The come with white lettering. I chose to turn the tires around to have all black. I purchased these at Tire Rack and was suprised that this tire was rated #1 and cost $148.00. I know a lot of people have a certain brand they prefer But I am 100% happy with my choice and the ride so different it's unreal.
Just my 2 cents

Glad you like them. Sounds like my experience with my Duratracs .....that was the most stirking thing to me ...how much the ride quality improved. When I was trying to choose tires I was on the fence with The Destination A/T's ...good to know they would have been a good choice as well.
2005 LJ, NSG-370 6-spd (close-ratio), 3.73's, three tops incl. custom Sunrider-Safari top, 38"x22" hardtop sunroof, OME 2.5", JKS 1.25 BL/1.0 MML, seats 2"^, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Ion 171's (16x8), Alpine CDE135-BT/KTP-445/Polk521Db/650Db, full soft/hard doors, Harley L.Stms, "I swear my Jeep is staying stock"
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #279
deafdog
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt0341 View Post
I just put 4 new Firestone Destination A/T on my 02 TJ (31x1050x15). I was floored as to the smooth ride these gave me right away. They are exremely quite and a world of difference cornering. ..... I am 100% happy with my choice and the ride so different it's unreal.
Just my 2 cents
My thoughts exactly. I was amazed at how well those tires performed on my 2004 Sahara.
deafdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #280
sanshredder
2006 TJ Wrangler 

BFG AT's, you're talking about the TA KO right? I'm looking for something that will last with tread wear. mostly why driving but want to take it on light trails too.
sanshredder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #281
Spook45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Anyone run any Kenda ATs? I can get Kenda 31 10.50s for $145 ea, dont know muc abot them tho.
Spook45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #282
grunt0341
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook45 View Post
Anyone run any Kenda ATs? I can get Kenda 31 10.50s for $145 ea, dont know muc abot them tho.
Thats the same price I paid for the Firestone Destinaton A/T at Tire Rack.
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #283
Spook45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yea I been lookin online at wlamart and sams and they are as cheap for some good name brand tires for comparable prices.
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #284
Spook45
2008 JK Wrangler 

from what ive found online, THe Kenda tries pretty much suck. Saw lots of reviews with the Words FAILURE in them and very low satisfactory ratings. Did find that Kuhmos have very hi ratings for mud, snow and daily driving and people are getting real hi miles out of them. Anyone know anything about Kuhmo? Now for my own quandry, MY JK came stock with 17s on it and the tires are not only high, there is not a big selection. Would it be worth my while to gop down a wheel size and get some cool rims to have better prices and a larger selection of tires to choose from? Just tryin to save a lil money anyone got any ideas?
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #285
NGCSU_Cadet
2003 WJ 

Im new to tire work in general, so could someone explain the meaning of the Size, Height, and Tread Depth. Im looking at a 2012 Jeep wrangler Sport S and the stock tires are like Compact Car tires and I dont want to pay extra for the Power Package. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get good tires and rims that will cost less than $1000?
NGCSU_Cadet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
a/t , all terrain , all-terrain , popular , tires , variations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.