All Terrain Tires - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > All Terrain Tires

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #166
waldoo
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have BFG AT 31" and they are great tires, both on road & offroad.

Going today to get the 32"

waldoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #167
daryng
2002 WJ 

i work in tires for a living so i've seen about every AT tire in the industry at some point in time. you often run into more problems (out of round, seperation, cupping, feathering, flat spots, ...etc...) with an all terrain tire, even worse with mt tires. the key, regardless of what tire you choose is keeping the tires balanced and rotated, not to mention making sure that if you have a bent rim, that it is replaced soon, for it can ruin a tire as well.

in my personal opinion i feel that the best all terrain tire in the industry is the michelin ltx at2. they are a bit pricey, but the get around (for me anyway) very well in mud, snow, ice, rain, and rocks. not to mention that they are whisper quiet on the road and ride extremely smooth. they have a deep tread (14.5/32 to 17/32 depending on size), and cut outs on the edge of the tread pattern for added traction. the pictures on tirerack make it look kind of puney, but go to your local tire shop and take a look at one, they are impressive. i had a set on my previous wj (before it was totalled by hit and run drunk driver), and i absolutely loved them. best tire i had ever ran.

the bridgestone dueller at revo would be a close second, followed by the firestone destination at.

i like bf goodrich, but after installing and doing thousands of rotate and balances on the bfg all terrain. i have noticed that a majority of them are out of round from the factory, or have a shimmy to them when balancing. not to mention, if rotations are not done regularly (every 5k miles or so) they tend to have chord seperations almost as bad as goodyear wrangler. they also usually require more weight to balance.

that is just my opinion from being in the tire industry for several years
daryng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #168
wsuwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryng View Post
in my personal opinion i feel that the best all terrain tire in the industry is the michelin ltx at2. they are a bit pricey, but the get around (for me anyway) very well in mud, snow, ice, rain, and rocks. not to mention that they are whisper quiet on the road and ride extremely smooth. they have a deep tread (14.5/32 to 17/32 depending on size), and cut outs on the edge of the tread pattern for added traction. the pictures on tirerack make it look kind of puney, but go to your local tire shop and take a look at one, they are impressive. i had a set on my previous wj (before it was totalled by hit and run drunk driver), and i absolutely loved them. best tire i had ever ran.
Yes those are quite expensive, about $200 a tire. I do like the tread on them, very agressive looking but the tread blocks arent very large...that is why they are so smooth and quiet on the road. I think they come with a 60k warranty?

I dont see how they would be any good in mud or on rocks...
wsuwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #169
lurkeryj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

thought id give a lil input here. . . i just mounted a set of sport king a/t's on my basically stock cherokee to hold me over til i get a lift and what not. took them through the sand in the pine barrons, the mud pits near my house, and through 10" of snow yesterday. i have to say, im amazed with the traction these tires give. they self clean in the mud excellent, work awesome in the sand, and have amazing grip in the snow. i was able to pull two chevy pick ups out of snow banks in my cherokee with these. so far i am very very pleased. paid around $90 each my cost in a 235/75 15 variety. anyone looking for a good all around all terrain that is nice on the highway, rain, snow, mud, sand, etc. . . definately take a look at these.
http://www.tirew.com/medalist/tires/sportkingat-l.gif
lurkeryj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #170
+Crusader+

Quote:
in my personal opinion i feel that the best all terrain tire in the industry is the michelin ltx at2.
Man 1: "Seems like a fine tire, but where can I get it in a 33x12.50-15?"

Man 2: "Go fish."

Man 1: "Okay then ... well BFG's it is ... Say, do you think the fact you see FAR MORE BFG AT's than the LTX AT2's would have any factor in your 'experiences'?"

Man 2: "Go fish."
Unread 03-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #171
daryng
2002 WJ 

i just say don't knock them till you try them. at the shop i work at, bfg's at's and ltx at2's are around the same price, with the michelin you get longer life, smoother ride, less road noise, equal traction (i've tried both on the same trails with about the same results, i think ltx at2's clean out better in mud). plus the bfg has been on the market for 15 years plus, and the michelin at2 about 3 so of course i've seen more bfgs. i think most people buy the bfg's for their appearance as opposed to their performance. and i'm sure a 33x12.50-15 will be a size offered by michelin this spring.
Unread 03-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #172
+Crusader+

Quote:
i just say don't knock them till you try them. at the shop i work at, bfg's at's and ltx at2's are around the same price, with the michelin you get longer life, smoother ride, less road noise, equal traction (i've tried both on the same trails with about the same results, i think ltx at2's clean out better in mud). plus the bfg has been on the market for 15 years plus, and the michelin at2 about 3 so of course i've seen more bfgs. i think most people buy the bfg's for their appearance as opposed to their performance. and i'm sure a 33x12.50-15 will be a size offered by michelin this spring.
I hope they do come out in that size soon, because I agree they appear to be a great AT tire design? ... Unfortunately I'm going to be buying some KM2's real soon, too soon to wait for the prospect of them getting out anything larger than a 31-incher ... I prefer a little more aggressive tread design as long as the road noise isn't too bad and they wear decent. A good alternative to this one (besides the BFG AT) would be the DC FCII, from rumor.

Anyway, I currently run a newer set of Michelin tires on my Chrysler 300C (Primacy4 something?), and they have been !great! so far in all on-road weather conditions and trips from Seattle to Portland on I-5 (some wide-open road along that route too, if ya catch my drift).

However, my wife just replaced a pair of Michelins on her Firebird that had real good traction for the first 25% of the tread life. The last 40% they were marginal from dead stop acceleration in the rain, and the car is only a 6-cylinder, at most. So, we re-shoed her pony with those Michelins still having 35% tread depth left. We went with some BFG Traction TA's ... Great tire so far, but time will tell ultimately? The Michelins that came off of the Firequail had about 50K miles on them and were the best tire Michelin was offering in our size, some 4-5 years ago ... the design name escapes me? Anyhow, they were a great tire for the first leg of their life, but they just progressively got worse.

The BFGs I've owned in the past (cars & trucks) have always performed a little better than our experience with our first set of Michelins, but with them being related companies, it really doesn't matter now.

My comment regarding your experience was just stating that if BFG ATs sell 30 to 1 against anything Michelin is making, then the cases of fouled tires will not favor the BFG ... naturally. I wasn't trying to take a swipe at you or your experiences.
Unread 03-04-2009, 06:02 AM   #173
daryng
2002 WJ 

oh i know man it's cool, i have no beef with bfg tires as a whole. the most popular tire we sell is the bfg long trail for trucks, and the touring t/a pro for cars. they are a really solid tire that holds up well in all seasons (seem to be the best tire i've seen for gravel) and are probably the best bang for your buck as far as mileage, ride comfort, and excellent winter traction. michelin owns bfg, so i know that michelin would never let an sub standard product out on the market.

don't get me wrong i don't dislike the bfg all terrain and the mt. my dad ran the mt's on our farm trucks when i was young and he sweared by them. in my opinion i just think that the michelin is a better value for the true on/off road driver.
Unread 03-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #174
LazersGoPEWPEW
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I've been trying to figure out which tire to get between the BFG A/T and the Michelin AT/2.

I used the Michelin A/T on my Bronco and really thought it was a great tire and I liked that tread pattern more.

Does anyone think the A/T2 is better than the original?

Tire size in 30x9.50

Not sure if Michelin even makes them in that size.
LazersGoPEWPEW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #175
CoolContractor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Michelin AT2 is E rated. Doesn't it ride a little hard?
Unread 03-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #176
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ya know, Michelin owns BFG, Sport King and Mud King, etc.

Just like Cooper owns D!ck Cepek, Mickey Thompson, Mastercraft, etc.

So aside from tread design, how much difference is there really between Michelin and BFG? Is it the same carcass and tread compound or similar? I wonder. I suspect that Michelin and BFG are more similar than most folks realize.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #177
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I talked to my local tire store about the Sport King vs BFG AT. The guy said that the Sport King can perform approximately as good as the BFG AT on all terrains, but the SK costs less while the BFG lasts longer. Also, I observe that the BFG has a nice "rim protector" rubber sidewall ridge to (try and) keep wheel from rubbing rocks. I like that protector ridge. Also, the BFG has much better side biter treads for when aired way down.

The main perks of the BFG over the SK is the BFG is offered in many more sizes, including two of my favorites, the 33 X 9.5 R15 and 33 X 10.5 R15. The other main perks are the sidewall rubber ridge to protect the rim and better side biters for when aired down.

However, if the SK is available in a size you want, and you aren't going to be near rocks or tree stumps and therefore don't need the rim protector sidewall ridge, and you aren't going to need to air way down offroad, and you don't mind getting less miles from SK in exchange for a lower purchase price, then the SK is great.

I'm not being sarcastic there. I'm serious. I don't think the SK having a shorter mileage life is a concern because it costs less to buy in the first place. It's less features for airing way down offroad is not a concern for those who don't need to do that.

For onroad winter conditions, and moderate offroad wheeling, the SK would be great (as good as BFG I think) and the SK is a great buy. For more severe use offroad (involving sidewalls rubbing obstacles and extreme airing down), the BFG is the better choice.

IMO

What I'd be interested in looking at, is how does the Sport King compare to the General Grabber AT2? (or whatever that General AT is called) Because that would be an apples to apples comparison of good ATs sold for good prices. Like comparing two brands of hamburgers (MD vs BK for example). The BFG is steak. You can't fairly compare a nice hamburger to a nice steak, except to discuss need vs price.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #178
CoolContractor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone or any magazine done a recent unbiased comparo on these tires?
Unread 04-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #179
1997ddzj
2002 WJ 

chalk another up for bfg a/t. i bought 4 of them off a friend. 2 of which were in good shape and the other 2 were pretty bald. so i bought 2 brand new ones so id have 4 good tires and used one of the balder ones as a full size spare. come out to the jeep one day and had a flat. no biggie, changed it and was on my way. well i had to recovery my buddy tonight and thanx to my open diffs the 2 baldest tires were doing the pulling. throwing MUD, not dirt, MUD!!!! granted it wasnt the worst mud on the planet, but im impressed on how easy i towed a 4000 lbs SUV out of a rocker deep slop hole
1997ddzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #180
mochodurazo

hi there new in the forum but with expirience in others, this is grat forum

what about general grabber at2, does any one have an a opinion of them?
mochodurazo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
a/t , all terrain , all-terrain , popular , tires , variations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.