Airsoft bb's for balancing..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Airsoft bb's for balancing.....

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
GregStephens2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Airsoft bb's for balancing.....

((I am reposting this as I posted it in the TJ tech as well))

.....I know some have good luck doing this and some do not.
I know there are some older threads on this topic and I didn't want to bump them too discuss this topic and ask my questions.

So here's my experience thus far, I am running bias ply tsl sx's.((36 x 12.5 x 15)) I love these tires off road and got tired of trying to have them correctly balanced for on road driving.
What I ran into was once the tires heated up and were above 50 to 55 (range based on air pressure) they would vibe and ride rough as hell.
I have paid for spin balances and road force balances, numerous times trying to eliminate this issue. With no change at all.
So I finally decided to break down the bead locks, strip the lead weights and try the airsoft bb's.
All I can say is wow! What a drastic ride enhancement, I can now run down the highway at 65 to 75 with no vibes at all.
I do still have a small steering wheel tick between 50 and 55 which comes and goes and dissipates with a little more speed. And with multiple starts and stops from 0 to 60 resulting
in the tick about 50% of the time. Even when the tick is experienced if the same speed is maintained it works it's self out and goes away.

So that brings me to my questions for those using internal dynamic balancing media.

Should I add a little more weight? Say 2 ounces to the 10 I started with?
Or is this normal and just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance!

Unread 07-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a full pint glass in each of my 35 13.5 15 Krawlers on Allied Beadlocks. I still get a shimmy on long turns on the Hwy, and before everything gets settled. I ran less in the KM1s (3/4 of a pint glass) I had before this and they actually balanced better than with the full glass of pellets.

Not sure if it is related or the Krawlers are just that much more difficult to balance. Either way it beats the hell out of paying someone to balance them any other way IMHO.

Hope this helps
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
GregStephens2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply, I added 2 additional ounces to the front and am pretty happy with it. But being I tinker and can't leave well enough alone.
I added 2 additional ounces to the rear tires as well and that was a mistake.
The rears were riding smooth with 10 ounces and now develop a hop at about 45 to 50.
So I'll be breaking them down and starting over asap.
I also made the mistake of rotating them onto the front, bad idea.

My thoughts are if the wheel tire combo has a lateral imbalance the extra weight exaggerates it.
I am going to start out at 8 ounces and see how the rears do and go from there.
I am sort of kicking around the idea of also rotating the rear tires 90 degrees on the wheels to see how that works but will
wait until after the decrease in weight and a test drive.
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStephens2 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I added 2 additional ounces to the front and am pretty happy with it. But being I tinker and can't leave well enough alone.
I added 2 additional ounces to the rear tires as well and that was a mistake.
The rears were riding smooth with 10 ounces and now develop a hop at about 45 to 50.
So I'll be breaking them down and starting over asap.
I also made the mistake of rotating them onto the front, bad idea.

My thoughts are if the wheel tire combo has a lateral imbalance the extra weight exaggerates it.
I am going to start out at 8 ounces and see how the rears do and go from there.
I am sort of kicking around the idea of also rotating the rear tires 90 degrees on the wheels to see how that works but will
wait until after the decrease in weight and a test drive.
Cool. That was my thoughts as well, I just don't want to break down the beadlocks to take out pellets. I also had a tire shop do their best and then added the pellets last time.
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
I have a full pint glass in each of my 35 13.5 15 Krawlers on Allied Beadlocks. I still get a shimmy on long turns on the Hwy, and before everything gets settled. I ran less in the KM1s (3/4 of a pint glass) I had before this and they actually balanced better than with the full glass of pellets.

Not sure if it is related or the Krawlers are just that much more difficult to balance. Either way it beats the hell out of paying someone to balance them any other way IMHO.

Hope this helps
Mine does the same thing with pretty much the same exact setup. Vibrations get pretty bad around 65+mph. I tend not to go past 65.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
GregStephens2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well I broke down the beadlocks and started out all four at 8 ounces.
I got to thinking that the mass of the airsoft bb's compared to dynabeads due to the weight difference, had to be creating issues.
So I went with the max in the range listed for my tire size on the equal chart.
All in all I am pretty happy with it.
I had the rubi up to 75 today I still get a small tick in the steering wheel around 50 but its spotty and never sticks around for more than a couple minutes.
If I maintain the same speed, if I am accelerating I don't even notice it.
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
GregStephens2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
Mine does the same thing with pretty much the same exact setup. Vibrations get pretty bad around 65+mph. I tend not to go past 65.
Not sure if this will help you guys or not but.......

I had and the shop I frequent had been rotating my tsl SX's front to back and keeping the rotation the same.
For what ever reason I had always though that bias tires had to be kept on the passenger or drivers side so the rotation was not reversed.
I ran out today to a buddies garage to use his set up to rotate tires and dick around with the jeep. He suggested I rotate them in the normal X pattern.
Which I did as I trust him, and my SW tick is gone and the tires are riding glass smooth.
The only thing I can come up with is the outer lugs had been worn more to the rear of the lug and some how this was creating a lateral shimmer which was F'ing with the tires.
This may be a known issue for some of you so please take it easy on me.
I was honestly amazed that simply reversing the rotation would fix the tick in the SW and the weirdness above 75 mph so I am stoked.

Swampers sound nice at 80! Especially when they are riding like BFG radials.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.