JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/)
-   -   Airsoft bb's to balance tires..... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/airsoft-bbs-balance-tires-1545597/)

GregStephens2 07-06-2013 09:29 AM

Airsoft bb's to balance tires.....

.....I know some have good luck doing this and some do not.
I know there are some older threads on this topic and I didn't want to bump them too discuss this topic and ask my questions.

So here's my experience thus far, I am running bias ply tsl sx's.((36 x 12.5 x 15)) I love these tires off road and got tired of trying to have them correctly balanced for on road driving.
What I ran into was once the tires heated up and were above 50 to 55 (range based on air pressure) they would vibe and ride rough as hell.
I have paid for spin balances and road force balances, numerous times trying to eliminate this issue. With no change at all.
So I finally decided to break down the bead locks, strip the lead weights and try the airsoft bb's.
All I can say is wow! What a drastic ride enhancement, I can now run down the highway at 65 to 75 with no vibes at all.
I do still have a small steering wheel tick between 50 and 55 which comes and goes and dissipates with a little more speed. And with multiple starts and stops from 0 to 60 resulting
in the tick about 50% of the time. Even when the tick is experienced if the same speed is maintained it works it's self out and goes away.

So that brings me to my questions for those using internal dynamic balancing media.

Should I add a little more weight? Say 2 ounces to the 10 I started with?
Or is this normal and just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

Nadamamasboy 07-06-2013 09:32 AM

Interesting. I'm running Dynabeads but think I may need a little more than the 8 oz I'm currently running. Do the Airsoft bb's last very long?

CharlieHo 07-06-2013 09:35 AM

I've got 7oz of BBs in my 33x12.50 TSLs with good results.

A friend put 20oz in his 36" SXs with GREAT results.

Next time, if ever, I break my tires own, I will add more BBs, but, I'm not complaining now.

GregStephens2 07-06-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadamamasboy (Post 15646549)
Interesting. I'm running Dynabeads but think I may need a little more than the 8 oz I'm currently running. Do the Airsoft bb's last very long?

From what I have found on the net, they last as long. If you buy the high quality heavy weight bb's, that are NOT biodegradable.

What is your reason for thinking you need more weight?
What type of tires are you running?

:cheers2:

GregStephens2 07-06-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieHo (Post 15646562)
I've got 7oz of BBs in my 33x12.50 TSLs with good results.

A friend put 20oz in his 36" SXs with GREAT results.

Next time, if ever, I break my tires own, I will add more BBs, but, I'm not complaining now.

Thanks for the reply bro, with the tick in the sw I described above I am really thinking its something that could be fixed with a little more weight.

As I stated above I am really liking this method for this set of tires. They now are riding just as nice as the a/t radials I have ran. Short of the tick in the SW.

JEK3 07-06-2013 09:59 AM

Are you sure your tick in the steering is not another issue unrelated to your tires?

I've been contemplating doing this, at least keeping it in the back of my head for when I get bigger tires.

GregStephens2 07-06-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEK3 (Post 15646639)
Are you sure your tick in the steering is not another issue unrelated to your tires?

I've been contemplating doing this, at least keeping it in the back of my head for when I get bigger tires.

Yes, no tick prior to stripping the weights and adding the bb's. :thumbsup:

Nadamamasboy 07-10-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregStephens2 (Post 15646566)
From what I have found on the net, they last as long. If you buy the high quality heavy weight bb's, that are NOT biodegradable.

What is your reason for thinking you need more weight?
What type of tires are you running?

:cheers2:

I'm running the recommended 8oz in my 35" Fun Countrys but I'm still getting a shake around 50 mph; and the amount of shake changes when I do a rotation.

Pillswoj 07-10-2013 06:14 AM

I never got rid of the slight shimmy I had around 50 mph. Tried more weight and it didn't help. I went back to conventional balancing.

JBTJ 07-10-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregStephens2 (Post 15646535)
.....I know some have good luck doing this and some do not.
I know there are some older threads on this topic and I didn't want to bump them too discuss this topic and ask my questions.

So here's my experience thus far, I am running bias ply tsl sx's.((36 x 12.5 x 15)) I love these tires off road and got tired of trying to have them correctly balanced for on road driving.
What I ran into was once the tires heated up and were above 50 to 55 (range based on air pressure) they would vibe and ride rough as hell.
I have paid for spin balances and road force balances, numerous times trying to eliminate this issue. With no change at all.
So I finally decided to break down the bead locks, strip the lead weights and try the airsoft bb's.
All I can say is wow! What a drastic ride enhancement, I can now run down the highway at 65 to 75 with no vibes at all.
I do still have a small steering wheel tick between 50 and 55 which comes and goes and dissipates with a little more speed. And with multiple starts and stops from 0 to 60 resulting
in the tick about 50% of the time. Even when the tick is experienced if the same speed is maintained it works it's self out and goes away.

So that brings me to my questions for those using internal dynamic balancing media.

Should I add a little more weight? Say 2 ounces to the 10 I started with?
Or is this normal and just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

Am I reading this right? This is PSI in your tires?

Gordon-0 07-10-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBTJ

Am I reading this right? This is PSI in your tires?

No. That's his speed range where the problem exists.

bmosing 07-10-2013 07:26 AM

I may consider doing this. I am currently running the dynabeads in my 35x12.50 pitbull rockers on 15" diy weld-on beadlocks. I know.... not the most road-worthy combination. This wheel/tire combination is very heavy, not to mention the added outer wheel weight of the welded inner ring and bolt on outer ring. I get wobbles around 55mph so I may consider trying the BB's. If I could do it over, I would go with lighter aluminum beadlocks with a smaller outer ring. Here's a pic for reference

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/...psc5d90c85.jpg

JBTJ 07-10-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon-0 (Post 15661319)
No. That's his speed range where the problem exists.

Ah, good.

JKBender 07-10-2013 07:27 AM

In my opinion the slight vibration may be normal (given that it works itself out). The concept of the beads is that they move around due to vibration until the tire is worked into balance. It sounds like that is happening for you.

That said, I used to run the Swamper Bias Ply tires on my TJ until the lugs started separating from the tire when getting up to 60+ MPH. I called Interco and they told me that the bias ply tires should not be run over 55 for very long (example told to me was no more than 5 minutes). They said that the heat generated at those speeds is what cause my separation issue. So first I would caution you not to run the tires at those speeds and two propose that the issue might be related to the tire itself and the beads are compensating for the issue. I will add that my conversation with Interco was about 8 years ago, so this might not be the case anymore.

GregStephens2 07-10-2013 03:47 PM

Thanks for the input guys.
I went through the process of adding an additional 2 ounces to the 10 I started with to the front tires, and rear for good measure.
((you CAN add too much weight)) IMO!
Short of the long story is I am down to 8 ounces per tire and VERY happy with the ride.
My conclusion is with the air soft bb's the mass/amount of bb's per weight messes with the tires if they have the slightest lateral imbalance.
((my thought is the added mass exaggerates the lateral imbalance and creates a wobble))
As I added weight my tick, in the steering wheel turned into a wobble. Not full blown DW but still worse than what I was willing to deal with.
So I when with the high side from the equal chart I found on line for my tire size. and today I was running 65+ or so with no issues.
I still get a slight tick in the sw around 50ish but is minor and quickly dissipates with a little skinny pedal.

The time now is 06:42 PM.