Airing Down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Airing Down

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
beaureed445
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Airing Down

I'm running 33x12.50 KM2's on 15x10 wheels. Going to play offroad this weekend, and will probably need to air down. How far can I safely go, without worrying about busting a bead? I would assume that I can't get down as far as if I had 15x8 wheels.

beaureed445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

De-beading varies greatly depending on the terrain. a long slide down a muddy off camber hillside, pushing mud up the sidewall will debead almost any tire with 12 psi or less.

Straight ahead on rocky terrain one should be safe down to the 10-12 range.

If you lower your road psi from 32 to 16 you will double the surface area of the tire on the trail. That is usually enough for most guys.

Also, learn how to re-bead the tire on the trail. Good info can be found by searching this forum or post a question as a separate topic and you'll get a lot of info.

I think the wheel width means nada compared to the tire pressure as a factor in de-beading. Think about it. With the tire off the rim you can compress the sidewall with your fingers. Does it matter that the rim is compressing it another inch when a 10 inch rim is compared to an 8?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.