Aggressive dd tire options - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Aggressive dd tire options

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #31
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emev0l View Post
Well I sure wouldn't set PSI by the door sticker when I'm running larger tires. Chalk works for me.

Either way, I still haven't found a better mud tire for the street then the KM2, they don't let go around corners, they really dig in under hard breaking, they last forever. There not the best tire for the road, there just the best mud tire for the road. Good prices, light, long lasting, works great for light wheeling, they hold a bead like a champ.

But, there's much better tires off road, Pitbull Rockers, Boggers, all the stickies in the rocks.

The KM2 is just something that can do both well, for a good price, and for a long time.
Larger tires, smaller tires, in reality its weight based on setting pressure. But with SSR's Ive always found that the run proper with 10% less air pressure than your typical MT or AT mainstream tire. Obviously if your running heavyier or lighter than stock pressure needs change.

GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #32
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

hankook dynapro atm
images-3-.jpg  
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #33
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you want a decent tire, AVOID the KM2. It's just an overrated tire.

There are many many many better choices out there.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #34
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
If you want a decent tire, AVOID the KM2. It's just an overrated tire.

There are many many many better choices out there.

That's a very open ended comment, I'm not saying your not right, just give some reasons to back up your statement.

Is there a lighter tire that works better in the mud?

Is there a mud tire that lasts longer on the street?
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #35
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's a very open ended comment, I'm not saying your not right, just give some reasons to back up your statement.
They do not clean out, do not dig, have absolutly no lateral traction, and are helpless when they get wet. They do ride smooth and quiet on the road, but are partly responsible for giving mud tires a bad ruputation in the snow and on wet roads. They are over priced for what you get. I was very disappointed in the milage I was getting considering the rotating and and how carefull I was with them.

They are so bad, that at 3/4 tread my wife wanted me to get new tires. She was uncomfortable in the pass. seat with them. At 1/2 tread I replaced them.

Ive ran MANY tires, and the BFG KM2's are on the bottom of the list as a quality street "MT" tire.

Quote:
Is there a lighter tire that works better in the mud?

Is there a mud tire that lasts longer on the street?
The KM2 DOESN'T work in the mud to begin with, so its not hard to find a better tire for the mud. If the tires weight is so much of a concern you'll sacrifice all other caracteristics and performance, then you're either running too big of a tire for your motor/gear ratio, or your running a tire that is too big for your axle. If your motor, gear ratio, and axle are all adequet then you won't see any/enough benifit from a light weight BFG KM2 to justify the sacrifices in performance that you'll be forced to accept by running a KM2.

Yes, Toyo Open Country MT, Nitto Mud Grappler, Pro Comp xterrain, are among a few.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #36
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

With exception of the MTR, the problem with all the other "mud terrain" branded tires is they aren't really mud terrain. They should really be considered a hybrid rock crawling tire that can handle a bit of mud.

I say with exception of the MTR because it is not branded a mud tire. MTR stands for Maximum Traction Reinforced. It does well enough in mud for my needs and is in my opinion the very best all around tire. Weight and tread life are a bit trivial to me, I'll take the best performance over those other two.

If I was looking for a "mud tire" however, I'd probably be looking for something from Interco.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #37
williambmac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I vote for Cooper Discovery STT, hands down a much better than my old MT/R's.
D
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #38
J3PH3RY_J33P
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac
I vote for Cooper Discovery STT, hands down a much better than my old MT/R's.
D
X2

I have a '95 XJ w/ 349,350 original miles and it always has had a set of Cooper tires on it (4sets & counting) ; thus ,
my choice of 35" tires for my '11 JKU was the Cooper STT 315/75r16s last month and after hard , rocky , muddy wheeling all over Alabama , Tennessee and Kentucky together with an 800mile road trip to the Mississippi River this week in the STTs ( 10-20psi off road / 28-31psi on road {2-4psi increase for any asphalt driving above 75mph equates to approx up-to 2-mpg saved, but also depends on wind strength and direction , tarmac material, oil age and fuel calibre ... : otherwise , day to day two lane work commute of 12.5miles is at 28psi}) yielded utterly acceptable and relatively quiet but very smooth travel. The STT is a massively strong , superb material and designed MT that Cooper designed in a CAD mockup prior to trials and it is not a true 'mud tire' but one they designed for a vehicle that is going to see 60% non - paved or rough driving and 40% asphalt ,
higher speed transport aimed at LTs under 5000lbs. anything over that or capable of loads over that and they designed the AT ST/MAXX for since it is not as luggy and sidewall centric. The Cooper STT on a four door JK is just the right mix of ruggedness ,
aggressive style and flexibility to match up perfectly . Air volume is per the individual but too low and you'll squish yourself around corners ; too much and your teeth will clack together or you'll think the Jeep is gonna break in two. A useful tip? When breaking in a new set of MTs , overfill by 10-20 psi and drive a few miles under 35mph. then , under inflate as low as you can without breaking a bead ( I go to 7-8 psi for my 35" STTs ) and drive same places but slower and try to ease over soft , small berms or parking blocks / curbs / neighbors yards /Honda rice burners / FJ Cruisers / etc (lol) to "flex " the new sidewall and THEN air up to your target psi; this will stretch the new( tight) sidewalks and make the elasticity a bit more ready for what you throw at them . I have 1000 miles on this set of Coopers and just rotated (all 5) them and still show the new tire nibs on each of them. they weigh less than the Toyo's and are more aggressive than the Dynapro MTs while not being as loud -better in real mud than the MTRs and have a significantly stronger sidewall ply than the Duratrac and are cheaper than the Micky T MTZ and FINALLY are made in America and if 5 are aired appropriately & rotated correctly can serve a Jeep JKU for between 40 and 55 thousand miles before replacement considerations are necessary. Need I say anything further ? hope this helped out !
Jeep On !

via iPhone JeepForum (so I'm sorry about the spelling & grammar mistakes!)
Unread 05-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #39
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Anyone have any thoughts on the Cooper ST Maxx? It seems like an awesome tire and is built on the same carcass as the STT but costs about the same, yet I don't think it's actually a mud terrain. Seems to me to be kind of Cooper's answer to the Duratrac - a really aggressive all terrain. However, it's sure to be a lot tougher in the sidewall than a Duratrac. Those are two tires I'm trying to decide between. I wish I knew how much the ST Maxx weighed since I know the Duratrac is very light in a C rating and might help with gas mileage compared to other options I've been looking at (like the Cooper ATP and BFG KM2), which are mostly E rated. I also wish I knew how much stiffer the ride would be with the ST Maxx since it only comes in an E rating (at least in my size - 265/70/17). If I knew the ride wouldn't be noticeably stiff (especially with Bilsteins about to go on) and the gas mileage wouldn't be noticeably worse compared to the Dura, I'd probably give the ST Maxx a try. But while the Dura is known to have weak sidewalls, it's relatively light and I know a C rated tire won't ride harshly with my WJ Grand Cherokee.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #40
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So what makes the Duratracs side walls so weak. Mine are 3-ply sidewalls. I bought them wondering how tough they are going to be and this thread is the first one I've seen that seems to have them labeled as weak. I really haven't heard of any problems, can anyone post up a link or two that shows some of the failures that you guys are talking about.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #41
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have personally seen five ripped Duratrac sidewalls. Three on one Jeep (I think something sharp like a T-bar was in some water and she got caught on it), and two on two different Jeeps at different times from sharp granite edges. All of the ripped ones were aggressively aired down.

However, I wouldn't say they're too weak for off road use. I would say they're a great DD tire and if you're doing stuff that requires a tougher tire than a Duratrac maybe you would be served better by a more open tire in the first place with more aggressive tread.

Airing way down seemed to be the other key factor in the ones I saw ripped.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #42
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would prefer Duratrac for DD that sometimes does moderate or harder wheeling. Why? Because Duratrac is better on road than an MT, and good enough off road. Duratrac is a good Hybrid.

If you want more knob than that, look at Trxus MT, Mastercraft CT, and Toyo MT. There are many others with more knob than Duratrac, but more knob won't be as good when DDing on road.

The Mastercraft CT is another good Hybrid. Tougher sidewalls than Duratrac, but ride not as soft as Duratrac. Off road traction is comparable (or slightly better) to Duratrac.

IMO
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:32 AM   #43
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Have you considered the dynapro mt? Plenty of people I know run them dd. seem to last fairly well. My old boss still has his from when I left that company almost three years ago
image-1024011029.jpg  
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #44
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Couple months ago I settled on Mastercraft Courser CT.
Good highway manners, can't hear them over wind noise, don't pick up gravel on forest service roads and pulled the CJ thru 50' of 8" sloppy mud with a solid bottom in 2wd.
Thick sidewalls.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #45
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbtgait View Post
Couple months ago I settled on Mastercraft Courser CT.
Good highway manners, can't hear them over wind noise, don't pick up gravel on forest service roads and pulled the CJ thru 50' of 8" sloppy mud with a solid bottom in 2wd.
Thick sidewalls.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
I knew CT were at least decent in mud, but I had no idea they were that good.

I can see why they are popular with loggers on their pick up trucks. They are a good price too. So that helps.

At this point, you know more about that tire than I do. Now I'm learning from you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.