Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

94 Jeep Cherokee Sport, stock rims winter tires Is smaller then stock an issue?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  unabashedpraise 
#1 ·
I believe the 94 Stock rims call for 215/75/r15s I came across a KILLER deal on some Blizzacs but they are 205/65/r15 is there any reason why I shouldn't go a size smaller? I know it's pretty common to go bigger (right now I have 235/75/r15s) but I've never wanted to go smaller before. I also understand smaller winter tires may help get more traction as you have more weight over a smaller surface area.... your thoughts would be great. I don't know much about winter tires, more of a slick guy.

#2 ·
Well, your speedo will be way off, and you'll loose ground clearance. Those tires are only about 25 inches tall, compared to about 29" for the 235's. This means when you are doing 55 mph your speedo will read about 63 mph (assuming it's correct with the current size tire).

They'll look goofy, but should perform well on snow covered roads. Once the snow gets real deep you'll probably notice the 2" of lost ground clearance.

#4 ·
They're actually about 2 sizes down from the 215's: 205 & 65. Both numbers will affect tire diameter.

Fran

#7 ·
I think what they are trying to say is that there is no good reason to not buy them with the exception of lower ground clearance and the increased chance of popping a smaller tire on a curb. Otherwise you may get scoffed at, but a good deal is a good deal, unless it turns out you didn't like them because people were making fun of you.

Oh yeah, watch that speedo.

All, my, friends, own a low rider.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.