7" or 8" rim width for 10.5" wide tires??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 7" or 8" rim width for 10.5" wide tires???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
DezJeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

7" or 8" rim width for 10.5" wide tires???

Looking to purchase some 33"x10.5" tires. Want to know what size rim width would be better suited for those tires. 7" or 8" wide rim?

DezJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

8", that way when you go to a 12.5" tire with 35's it will still be perfect. 7" wide is a little thin when you go that big. but thats just my opinion. But I'm biased...I'm running an 8" rim on a 31x10.5 tire.

If you've ever been in that traffic, you would have ground down the steering wheel with a death grip too. "Just ****ing GOOOOOO!!!!"[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Luuca;15713642]I pitty anyone who tries to reach into that netting unaware.[/QUOTE]
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezJeep View Post
Looking to purchase some 33"x10.5" tires. Want to know what size rim width would be better suited for those tires. 7" or 8" wide rim?
If you plan on doing any wheeling I would go with the 7".

Unread 05-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I like the look of 8 inch for 31s, 32s and 33s. You can air down fine with the 8 inch if you need to.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

[I know, old thread, but...] I've always heard the general rule is tire width = 1.5x wheel width. That would mean 8" on a 12.5" tire and 7" on a 10.5 tire.

I'm paranoid about beads popping, so for the past dozen+ years I've used 12.5" tires on a 7" wheel. I don't recommend that necessarily, but it works for me. I can go down to 6PSI without bead concerns and at 25PSI I get nice even wear on the highway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.