Which 37x12.50's For Daily Driver and Rock Crawling? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Which 37x12.50's For Daily Driver and Rock Crawling?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 03-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
ryancalhoon
2009 JK Wrangler 

Which 37x12.50's For Daily Driver and Rock Crawling?

I have an '09 JK Rubicon 4 door with 4.5" long arm lift and wanting to get some new 37x12.50's. I am looking for tires that are high mileage/long life expectancy, quiet (this Jeep is my daily driver), will drive great/smooth on the pavement, great for playing on the rocks and rock/dirt trails, with tough sidewalls that I won't have to worry about puncturing or tearing. I don't do much in the mud at all. It would be a bonus if they did good aired down offroad in the snow in the winter time, but not necessary as I could get a different set of wider and softer tires for the winter. What should I get? Thanks!

ryancalhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:52 AM   #2
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Goodyear kevlars are a great all around choice. The toyo m/t seem to go the distance with great traction. Nitto mud or trail grapplers, Heavy but, from I read worth it. Really comes down to what you want to run and tread pattern you like. I wouldn't even consider the overrated, Undersized km2 for anything.
Best all around DD tire with great traction off, Get kevlars. Good luck either way
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
ryancalhoon
2009 JK Wrangler 

When you say Kevlars, is that the Goodyear MTR?
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, Im too lazy to type it all out lol. I have called them kevlars since they came out to distinguish the two, But now not as needed but stuck. Oddly im running the original mt/r now with tons of tread.
Its about your best bet if you want a tough sidewall all condition tire that does good on road as well. Any more, Seems like they balance out fine and if so, Was their only downfall.
Unread 03-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
ryancalhoon
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ok thanks. I have some 37x13.5 Toyos on there now that are siped, so I was thinking about something different that I wouldn't have siped, and going a little narrower, like 12.5 wide for the rocks and trails. The MTR's were at the top of my list. I've also had buddies recommend Iroc's. How do those compare? And then also 'newer' BFG's - which must be the KM2's that you suggest staying away from?
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just my opinion on them, They are a joke a fall real short of a good a/t. If I was going to buy 37's from BFG it would be krawlers. They do well in mud and not bad in snow plus are a true 37". The km2 lacks everywhere.

The Irok I have never personally ran, But was co rider with them on a rig. You really cant compare a SS irok even radial to a mt/r. The swamper will win hands down off road in the deep snow and mud, Rock being the only place they would be comparable.
I can say they melt off quicker than any SS tire, But are a lot softer than a lot on the market. Unless you have the money or a DD commute of 5 miles round trip, Don't expect much. Plus balancing a irok that chunks off road can be a PITA.

If DD and rocks are in the cards, Go MT/R. They will do well in deep snow aired down, But there is always better. In the end you have to pick what you like, Its you're money man, Plus you have to look at them. Try them, Not like they wont wear off eventually lol or you can sell them.
I took a shot with them, Bitter/sweet taste about them, But will recommend them because my incident has not been reported in a long time.
Unread 03-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
ryancalhoon
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice. I'll look in to the MT/R's then.
Unread 03-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
ryancalhoon
2009 JK Wrangler 

So where's the best/cheapest place to order (4) 37x12.50x17 MTR's? Our local Les Schwab wants $2000 for the 4. Looks like I can get them for $1625 with free shipping from Custom Wheel Outlet on Ebay. Is there a cheaper place to order from? Thanks!
Unread 03-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalhoon View Post
So where's the best/cheapest place to order (4) 37x12.50x17 MTR's? Our local Les Schwab wants $2000 for the 4. Looks like I can get them for $1625 with free shipping from Custom Wheel Outlet on Ebay. Is there a cheaper place to order from? Thanks!
Tire Rack looks like $1590 shipped after rebate.
Unread 03-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
ryancalhoon
2009 JK Wrangler 

Argh! I was just getting ready to order the MTR's and then found out that they've apparently changed the tread design. Looks like there is 1 tread pattern on 1 half of the tire and a completely different tread pattern on the other half! Looks pretty strange! LOL. Looked into the Goodyear Duratrac but they only go as big as a 35. Local places around here are recommending the BFG KM2 or Toyo. They said they didn't see a 37" BFG Krawler available, just a 39". Hmmm.
Unread 03-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Argh! I was just getting ready to order the MTR's and then found out that they've apparently changed the tread design. Looks like there is 1 tread pattern on 1 half of the tire and a completely different tread pattern on the other half! Looks pretty strange!
The asymmetric tread pattern on the MTRs works very well. Oh, and it must have been awhile since you looked since this change was made 5+ years ago.
Unread 03-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #12
ryancalhoon
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ya I've only had one set of MTR's, and that was the ones that came stock on my old '03 Rubicon. I haven't seen the 'newer' ones in person, just a pic online. Do you they look weird?
Unread 03-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Look at the falken at if you want good wear and good in the rocks.
Unread 03-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ya I've only had one set of MTR's, and that was the ones that came stock on my old '03 Rubicon. I haven't seen the 'newer' ones in person, just a pic online. Do you they look weird?
The tread is asymmetric so they do look different than "normal" tires. Some have an issue with it. Personally on my third set.
Unread 03-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
ryancalhoon
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
The tread is asymmetric so they do look different than "normal" tires. Some have an issue with it. Personally on my third set.
So are they pretty quiet on the road (for a large tire), drive smooth, wear well, and good in the rocks and trails? And are they fairly accurate on their measurements - is a 37x12.50 actually going to measure around 37" tall?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.