35s on 16" wheel causing front end wobble ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 35s on 16" wheel causing front end wobble ?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
colojk
2009 JK Wrangler 

35s on 16" wheel causing front end wobble ?

Has anyone had 35" tire on 16" wheels cause a front end steering wobble? Ive tried tons of fixes. The jeep has dual steering stableizers, a rockkrawler HD drag link , all new tie rod ends , and ever things been torqued to spec. There is NO play in the the front end. The wobble only happens between 20 and 35 mph , and only when the driver side wheel hits a bump. ( something as small as a manhole cover can cause the wobble) . I've tried different tire pressure and the problem is worse with lower pressure but still happens with the pressure up at 55 and even 60 psi. ( tire recommended is 50 psi ). I'm thinking about going to a 18 " wheel and staying with 35" tires. Do you think this will help ? The tire are MT lt315/75r16.

colojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you had an alignment lately. I had death wobble issues when I installed 15x8 steelies from the stock ecco wheels. Couldn't rid my self of it no matter how many times I balanced my tires. When I installed my long arms and and adjusted my caster from 2 degrees to 7.75 degrees my death wobbled disappeared.
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
fatmanontwowhee
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
Have you had an alignment lately. I had death wobble issues when I installed 15x8 steelies from the stock ecco wheels. Couldn't rid my self of it no matter how many times I balanced my tires. When I installed my long arms and and adjusted my caster from 2 degrees to 7.75 degrees my death wobbled disappeared.
Isnt 7.75 degrees out of spec or should I not be thinkin that way. Iam fighting a similar problem, but with 33x12.50 15 Racelines on M/T mtz's. No shake before with the same size.
fatmanontwowhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
colojk
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well I've reballanced the tires and that didn't help.( We've decided that its not the tall sidewall causing the wobble. ) I've also had a gusset welded onto the track bar to eliminate flex. That didn't work either. Right now my castor is at 5.9 . The mech who's helping me is worried that goin with more castor may cause the wobble to happen at high speed where now it only happens ( so far ) at between 20 and 35 MPH. Do you think he is correct in this thinking ?
colojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh man when I read posts like this I don't want to go to 35's, or 33's for that matter. I guess there's no way to predict whether or not it will happen. And once you buy the new tires it's too late.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Check tire contact. Most 35s need to be lower preasure. I run 26-27 psi to get good contact on road. anything over that i get wee bit of pulse at 50 mph not wobble. Castor is a big issue that most lift wont correct with out adjustible arms.

Running 35"s if for looks may be a pain in the ars in the long run. Things will wear out faster, its the way it is. But off road on hard trails it is needed for function not looks.

Going 18"s will make the the rim very big with 35 not much side wall if you play in the rocks much, are these stock rims 7.5? If so you need to air down more to get the right contact or you are running on the center of the tire. 35" need a 8 rim to even be close to happy and no more than a 9. 10s are only for the big boy 40x 14.5's and up. If i was to run say 40"s i would go 17" rim max

I run 15x8s with 35/12.5/15 mtr/Ks on my 012 JKr
Unread 03-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
skywagon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Been running 35s on my RE LA 4&1/2 on my 05 Rubi for three years with no problems, and know several others that do the same. The 16 inch rims and 35s are not causing your problem. I've run mine on the highway at 8, 20-30, and 35 lbs. of air. I like 20 on the highway.
Ron
skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The rim size is not your issue. DW is caused by tire balance, alignment, TREs, or ca bushings (did I forget anything?) Search TJ tech for Death Wobble and read a bunch. You will be able to find the cause. BYW, your steering, when properly done, will not require a single SS, much less a dual setup.

You might start by rotating your tires to see if it has any effect.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
GrizzlyRod

Beefing up the steer components will help. The bigger tires and trails will wear stock parts out a lot faster.
GrizzlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.