35" tires on 15" or 16" wheels and High-Way handling and balancing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 35" tires on 15" or 16" wheels and High-Way handling and balancing

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
weerwolv

1993 YJ Wrangler 

35" tires on 15" or 16" wheels and High-Way handling and balancing

Hi all,

I've read on a few sights that once you go over 33" on tire size its time to look at bigger wheels for 35" tires plus. Main reason being lazy high way speed handling due to large sidewalls and trouble balancing.

Wanted to hear from others that are running 35" tires on 15" wheels how they handle and would you do it again or go to a 315/75R16 for better road manners?

My YJ will spend about 70 percent of the time on the road and 30 percent off road so road handling is important to me.

Open to any feedback from all members.

FYI I currently run 33x10.5x15 Toyo MT tires

Thanks in advance

weerwolv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
weerwolv

1993 YJ Wrangler 

bump.
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

If you run the same Toyo's in the 35" size you will have zero issues with balancing or onroad handling.

I ran the Toyo MT's in the 35x13.50x15 size on 15x10 steel rims and the most any one wheel/tire took was 3oz of weight.
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

You really won't notice a difference between a 15" and 16" wheel. Heck, I seriously doubt you would even notice a difference in a 17"er. If you were driving a serious performance car with a tight suspension you might, but in a lifted Jeep you won't.

Have run 37" on a 15" wheel and currently have 35s on a 15"er and commute a ton. 78 miles a day, was 120 a day until just recently.
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
You really won't notice a difference between a 15" and 16" wheel. Heck, I seriously doubt you would even notice a difference in a 17"er. If you were driving a serious performance car with a tight suspension you might, but in a lifted Jeep you won't.

Have run 37" on a 15" wheel and currently have 35s on a 15"er and commute a ton. 78 miles a day, was 120 a day until just recently.
^^

I run 35 on 15 on a newer Jeep. On road is a bit less stable. But much of that is from needing to run 26psi. Do to a 8" wide rim. as that size rim is better off road than a 10" wide by far.

The main trouble with balancing is getting them to do it right today. Many just slap on the weights first spin call it a day. They should respin it and "tune" it. Larger tires are harder to get right no matter.
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

16s are becoming less popular.

Stick with 15s or go to 17s.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
^^

I run 35 on 15 on a newer Jeep. On road is a bit less stable. But much of that is from needing to run 26psi. Do to a 8" wide rim. as that size rim is better off road than a 10" wide by far.

The main trouble with balancing is getting them to do it right today. Many just slap on the weights first spin call it a day. They should respin it and "tune" it. Larger tires are harder to get right no matter.
Hate to disagree with you but as someone who is running 35s on a 15x8 wheel also I will argue that what you are feeling is because you raised your CG most likely by 4-7 inches and that creates much more roll than before. (+2" for taller tires and +2-5" for lift to make those larger tires fit) Then, add to that the extra 500+ pounds (at that higher CG) of aftermarket stuff like armor, winch, tools,... so you have significantly raised your CG AND had more weight as well. Granted, the sidewalls are softer, but it is the lever type action caused by the higher CG and extra weight you are feeling. Now, if you were in a sports car cornering, then yes, i would agree with you but we are far from that. It's the crack the whip effect you get in a lifted/modded Jeep.

BTW, i have the doors and top off my JKU and let me tell you, by doing that, and taking trail tools out, my JKU corners like a Lotus now. All that weight makes a massive difference.

As for balancing issues, I have had no problems with 15s, 16s, or 17s at all. Just make sure they do it right and take it back if you think it's out. The only times I have had balancing issues is either from bashing the weights while rock crawling or from tires chunking.

Unread 05-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
weerwolv

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all. Going 35 on 15. Just wish I could get an 11.5 or even 10.5 wide tire in this size. Big on the narrow width tire but once you go over 33 inch you seem to have to go wide.
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weerwolv View Post
Thanks all. Going 35 on 15. Just wish I could get an 11.5 or even 10.5 wide tire in this size. Big on the narrow width tire but once you go over 33 inch you seem to have to go wide.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p.../35-x-10-50-15

Two 35x10.50x15's
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
Hate to disagree with you but as someone who is running 35s on a 15x8 wheel also I will argue that what you are feeling is because you raised your CG most likely by 4-7 inches and that creates much more roll than before. (+2" for taller tires and +2-5" for lift to make those larger tires fit) Then, add to that the extra 500+ pounds (at that higher CG) of aftermarket stuff like armor, winch, tools,... so you have significantly raised your CG AND had more weight as well. Granted, the sidewalls are softer, but it is the lever type action caused by the higher CG and extra weight you are feeling. Now, if you were in a sports car cornering, then yes, i would agree with you but we are far from that. It's the crack the whip effect you get in a lifted/modded Jeep.

BTW, i have the doors and top off my JKU and let me tell you, by doing that, and taking trail tools out, my JKU corners like a Lotus now. All that weight makes a massive difference.

As for balancing issues, I have had no problems with 15s, 16s, or 17s at all. Just make sure they do it right and take it back if you think it's out. The only times I have had balancing issues is either from bashing the weights while rock crawling or from tires chunking.

Its a bit less stable then you bring up a track car? CG is about thesame if not better . The jeep is six inches widder than stock and ony5 taller(total L+T.
the less stability is from running 26/27 psi on the road
If you think its a Lotus
Not my first rodeo.

I run doorless top less 99% of time. Irun the Jeep on mostly 4up rated trails AZ . Its not a mall crawler
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc

Its a bit less stable then you bring up a track car? CG is about thesame if not better . The jeep is six inches widder than stock and ony5 taller(total L+T.
the less stability is from running 26/27 psi on the road
If you think its a Lotus
Not my first rodeo.

I run doorless top less 99% of time. Irun the Jeep on mostly 4up rated trails AZ . Its not a mall crawler
If you believe the CG on a stock Jeep is about the same as a lifted Jeep on 35s with winch, armor,... you really do not understand CG. If you put your doors and top on you should be able to comprehend where I am coming from, regardless of the types of trails you claim to run.

Btw, I'm glad you know what you were trying to say about the Lotus but you failed to complete your sentence so I have no idea what your point is. If I think it's a Lotus what? Btw, I don't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.