35" BFG KM2 vs. Goodyear MT/R Kevlar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 35" BFG KM2 vs. Goodyear MT/R Kevlar

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

35" BFG KM2 vs. Goodyear MT/R Kevlar

I'm running BFG AT 35's on a Zj and they work well. Being as I've recently been demoted to running my rock rashed spare, I've decided it's time for new tires. Being that I'm sitting on a 7" lift I have a few concerns: 1. Sidewall flex, 2. Longevity. I know right off hand mud terrains will likely wear faster than ATs, but I'm looking to get a set of MTs that outshine the competition when it comes to mileage too (against other MTs.) As for my driving, I'm mostly on road but try to get off road as often as possible, and likely more frequently once I get new tires. My guess is my wear will be spent at a rate of 85% on road and 15% off road. I know ATs seem better for this type of use, but I'm getting MTs so save trying to sell me on mileage increase with ATs.

Looking at the BFGs, everyone loves them - they're hard to beat considering they're a great tire and the KM2s seem to have improved the sidewall ant tread pattern over the KMs. I've run the older KMs and was very happy in pretty much any condition central TX can throw at them. Only real issue was milage wasn't too good - but I think that goes for all MTs as they make less contact with the road so that results in faster wear than something less aggressive. I'm also concerned with whether the KM2s sidewalls are thicker than the ATs as BFG sidewall always seems to be somewhat flimsy (at least for the old MTs and ATs that I've had.) Is the KM2s sidewall thicker / stiffer?

Goodyears will cost me less right now and I'm willing to experiment with the longevity due to their tread contact pattern. It seems to me they'll be making more contact with the road than the KM2s, which in my view means even if they're using an inferior compound, wear will probably be the same as the BFGs. If their rubber is a good formula, then it has the potential to outlast the BFGs based on contact area. One place where I think these will outshine the BFGs is sidewall puncture resistance. BFGs are always really thin

Given this, what opinions do you all have? I may be willing to spend the extra $150 or so for 4 BFGs, but if people who wheel hard have gotten good performance and traction form the goodyears, then that may be the way to go for me. Once again, still undecided on this so please bring on all the comments.

gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The kevlars kick the km2's *** everywhere, On road or off. If you want a 35" km2, You will have to get a 37" as BFG have never made a true to size tire except for krawlers.

Being the terrain in TX is rocky and sharp ledges the kevlars will last and perform alot better. Good luck either way

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.