33X10.5 Metric Conversion? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 33X10.5 Metric Conversion?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 05-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Bethlehem
1998 TJ Wrangler 

33X10.5 Metric Conversion?

For the love of God will someone please just tell me what the metric size is for a 33 X 10.5 X 15" tire?

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I've spent enough hours with conversion calculators and doing searches. I just want to buy some damn tires and every website except for one uses the metric sizing.

Insert default response here... "Do a search. This has been asked many times before."

Outlaw I wheels w/3.75" Backspacing
Bethlehem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Metric sizes are most often used for R16 and R17 tires.

I've never seen a 33 X 10.5 R15 listed metrically, and I've looked at a lot of tire charts and websites.

However, I might be able to help you anyway. The 33 X 9.5 R15 is the awesomest size for a daily driver XJ, IMO. The 33 X 10.5 R15 is the awesomest size for a daily driver TJ/LJ, IMO.

There are only a few brands available in those sizes. Since your interested in 33 X 10.5 R15, I'll give you the list of who makes that size (a short list because few tire models made in that size).

Toyo MT is the best daily driver MT and the best daily driver hybrid (near hybrid anyway) in that size, IMO. If you'd use it on winter roads, then have your tire store add extra sipes to the center treads.

BFG MT KM2 is loved by some. I'm not that familiar with it. It's made in that size.

BFG AT is the best daily driver AT in that size, IMO.

Bridgestone also makes a great AT in that size, but the BFG AT is better, IMO.

That's all there is to choose from in that size for a sensible DD tire.

Simex and Interco make some super aggressive, super narly MT in that size, but they aren't suitable for DD street use.

So there is the entire list of tires in that size, and with all due modesty, I am an expert on what tires are available in that size because it's my favorite size.

Sorry there aren't more choices in what I think is the greatest DD size for a TJ/LJ for all purpose, all terrain, all climate use, but life isn't fair.

On the bright side, it makes your choices simple because you have few choices.

=====

P.S. - since I see you live in Midwest, I assume you also have mud and winter conditions seasonally, and very little sand or rocks? The Dean SXT and BFG AT in 33 X 9.5 R15 would give you the best winter performance because of being very narrow. However, the Dean SXT wouldn't be all that good in mud due to being ovely narrow and sinking to much, IMO based on IME. No BFG AT of any width is good in mud. However, both those tires in 9.5 are the best there is on winter roads from a year round use DD tire. i.e. - they'd be better on winter roads than a 10.5" wide tire, but less good in mud. The 9.5 are poor in sand, but you probably don't have any sand.

Point being, if you want the best winter tire (that's a year-round use DD tire), get the Dean SXT or BFG AT in 33 X 9.5 R15. If you have your tire store add extra sipes to the center treads of the SXT, it'd be even better on winter roads. The SXT would also have some mud ability due to its semi-aggressive treads, despite being very narrow and sinking a lot. Neither tire in that size would be good in sand, but who cares if you don't have any?

If you want the most versatile size tire that can do it all reasonably well (though not specialized to anything), then get the 33 X 10.5 R15. That's why I got it, and I'm happy with the size. Except that I have it in the BFG AT and while its very good on road, sand, and winter conditions, it's poor in the mud. Next time I'm going to get the Toyo MT and have extra sipes added to its center treads to improve its winter abilities. I think that a Toyo MT 33 X 10.5 R15 with extra sipes added to center treads is the most versatile tire there is for the widest variety of conditions that a DD TJ/LJ encounters.

Last edited by CB3; 11-15-2009 at 08:31 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Bethlehem
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, thanks for the info! So I guess if a website doesn't show them in inches they must not have them.

I was just about to pull the plug on some 33X10.5 BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A-KM . I can only find one place that has them listed in that size but I wanted to shop around online.

I don't know much about tires, obviously, so your input is very valuable. I just talked myself out of the 33X12.5 because I read they aren't as good in snow, as you confirmed. And yes, here in the midwest there's a lot of snow, ice, rain and mud. I don't see much sand or rock around here. This is also my daily driver.
Outlaw I wheels w/3.75" Backspacing
Bethlehem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, websites aren't always complete and correct. For example, the http://www.deantires.com website does NOT show that the SXT is available in 33 X 9.5 R15, but I know it is. One of my local tire stores has that tire in stock in 33 X 9.5 R15 and 33 X 12.5 R15, and the tire store (Schwab) says that the 33 X 9.5 R15 SXT is still being made by Dean. So why isn't that size on their website? I have no idea why, but it is made and available.

Websites can have incomplete or incorrect information. After all, they're just something typed by someone.

Last edited by CB3; 11-15-2009 at 08:32 PM..
Unread 05-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You said, "snow, ice, rain and mud"

Here's my opinion regarding 33" tires, which is the size I know most about since I'm setup for that size and prefer 32 and 33 for a DD (especially in narrower sizes). Note that I'm choosing tires only from among the 33 X 9.5 R15 and 33 X 10.5 R15 sizes because those two are the most appropriate sizes for the OP, IMO.

Snow (variety of types, dry deep loose, hard packed, and wet snow): I think Dean SXT in 33 X 9.5 R15 with extra sipes added to center treads (extra sipes added by tire store) and BFG AT are the best for a variety of snow conditions. I think the Toyo MT 33 X 10.5 with extra sipes added to center treads and BFG AT in 33 X 10.5 R15 are the second best. The Bridgestone AT 33 X 10.5 R15 is 3rd best, IMO.

Ice (colder dry ice is easy, but warmer wet ice near melting point is very slick): I think Dean SXT in 33 X 9.5 R15 with extra sipes added to center treads, BFG AT in 33 X 9.5 R15 and 33 X 10.5 R15, and Bridgestone AT 33 X 10.5 R15 are all tied for best. I think the Toyo MT 33 X 10.5 with extra sipes addes to center treads is OK.

Rain: All those brands I mentioned are excellent choices, but the Dean SXT and BFG AT 33 X 9.5 R15 are the best. BFG AT, Bridgestone AT, and Toyo MT in 33 X 10.5 R15 are good (second best) choices. IMO.

Mud: The Dean SXT 33 X 9.5 R15 is a bit narrow for mud and you'd sink excessively with a TJ or LJ, but the tread is reasonably good for mud. So over all, I think the 9.5 SXT would be OK in mud, but not great. The BFG AT and Bridgestone AT are both poor in mud (in any size). The Toyo MT 33 X 10.5 R15 is good in mud, especially for an MT that is also good on road and winter (with extra sipes).
So why aren't I a big fan of the BFG MT KM2? Well, simply this: I have doubts about it's winter abilities. It lacks sipes, and its center treads size and layout does not seem to me to be very well suited to adding sipes because I think the center treads would chip/chunk. Also, the KM2 has been receiving mixed reviews regarding its winter abilities with some saying its bad and some saying good. So who knows? I suspect its bad for winter due to a combination of no sipes and widely spaced lugs, which would be very slick on ice and packed snow, IMO. But the jury is still out on this tire for winter since it's very new. Each of the other tires I like and mentioned above has very good winter reviews online, and from local people and friends of mine, and I've personally used the BFG AT in both 9.5 and 10.5.
Bottom line for you OP, IMO, is that a 33 X 9.5 would be best for your winter needs (thanks to lack of flotation helping), but would struggle in the mud (due to lack of floation hindering). The 33 X 9.5 is the ideal DD and winter tire, but its not veru good in mud and is poor in sand, IME. The 33 X 10.5 is the best all purpose, all terrain, all around size I've ever owned. I've owned 9.5 (to narrow for me), then 11.5 (to wide for me), then 10.5 (ideal size for all purpose use, IME).

Your best all around performer from among the above tires, IMO, would be a Toyo MT 33 X 10.5 R15 with extra sipes added to center treads, or the Dean SXT 33 X 9.5 R15 with extra sipes added to center treads. Between those two bests (IMO), the Toyo MT 33 X 10.5 would be better in mud, while the Dean SXT 33 X 9.5 would be the better in winter. The SXT 9.5 would also be a bit better on wet highways, but it wouldn't make a lot of difference in that area since the Toyo MT 33 X 10.5 is a good size with good tread. The SXT 33 X 9.5 would give slightly better gas mileage and acceleration (slimmer = less weight), but the Toyo MT 33 X 10.5 should be pretty good at those things.

I suggest those two tires (SXT and Toyo MT) because you want DD onroad, winter road, and mud abilities and both those tires are good at all those things.

If you only wanted DD onroad and winter road (not mud), then I'd recommend the BFG AT in either size (33 X 9.5 or 10.5 R15).
The Bridgestone AT 33 X 10.5 R15 would also do that for you, but I think the BFG AT is better.

You could get BFG MT KM2 33 X 10.5 R15, but I don't think your winter performance would be as good as the other choices I mentioned.

Last edited by CB3; 05-11-2009 at 03:26 PM..
Unread 05-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey CB3, maybe that should be broken into a chart somehow. lol
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy1977 View Post
Hey CB3, maybe that should be broken into a chart somehow. lol
How about some pretty colors and indented paragraphs for organization, flash and bling?
Unread 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I should add that if the OP would consider a 32" tire, the Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip 32 X 10.5 R15 has an excellent tread and compound that is reputed and reviewed to be excellent on all terrains and all climates. Street, winter, mud, sand, rocks it does it all. The only downside is it's a 32" tire. Although that's actually an upside if you aren't regeared.

The PJ tire in size 31 X 10.5 R15 is actually a 32" tire.

One of my neighbors has that tire on his Ford Bronco II and he thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced cheese. He uses it year round on all terrains (lots of winter, lots of mud, sand, rocks, and DD on highway).

The only downside I've ever heard regarding this tire is that it doesn't last long on full size high horsepower SUVs and trucks (hopped up 3/4 ton and 1 ton). However, it lasts fine on half ton trucks, according to my neighbor and his little Bronco. Also, I've never read any complaints on Internet about tire life on a 1/2" ton truck. The only tire life complaints I ever read were in regeard to full size 3/4 and 1 ton rigs with lots of torque and horsepower and a lead footed driver.

So I think this would be a dandy tire for a Jeep guy, if he wants a 32" hybrid tire that functions well on all terrains.
Unread 05-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
03silversport
2003 TJ Wrangler 

33x10.50r15 = 265/85/r15
03silversport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
NVR_LEVN
2007 WK 

per Simex Tires

33x10.5x15 is 280/85/15

there are no metric tires available that i've seen in 275/85/15 or 265/85/15 (or obviously 280)
NVR_LEVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #11
Whobeme
2010 JK Wrangler 

What about BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 tires in the 33x10.5x15 size? They are rated fairly good on TireRack.

Whobeme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.