33s or 35s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 33s or 35s

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
MYKelodeon
2009 JK Wrangler 

33s or 35s

I am looking at getting some bigger all terrains for my JK.

is there a big difference between a 33 and a 35 as far as what it will do to my MPG? I have been told that there isn't a big difference in MPG lose going from 33s to 35s.

Let me know

thanks

MYKelodeon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You'll notice it. But you don't buy a jeep for mpg. If you want it back, you need to regear.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
jaidmaster
2012 JK Wrangler 

Have a '12 auto and went from stock 32" KMs to 35x12.50R17 MTRs and lost a few tenths after calibrating for the tires. Better than I expected.
jaidmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidmaster View Post
Have a '12 auto and went from stock 32" KMs to 35x12.50R17 MTRs and lost a few tenths after calibrating for the tires. Better than I expected.
not the same thing. you can not compare a 012+ to anything older.

012+ 3:73 stock gears are marginal, 4:11 is better at 35" in the autos they can handle more tire now than the sticks. at the same gearing.

011- autos need more gear than the manual and at 35" the auto's need 5:13

notice the full step ratio change from the two years of jeeps. why is the new auto has about one step deeper 1st gear and can handle 425 foot pounds of torque about 2x more than the older auto.

if you have 3:21 gears in it going 35" is going to get into new carriers and gears. no matter what year.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You will take a hit either way, Id rather have the 35" tires than 33's. In the end you will have to regear for either, Better off making it worth your while on 35's. To each their own
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
KTM31

Ya you will notice slightly less MPGs. I changed from 33 pro comps. To 35" general grabbers. On my 08 4 door. Actually rides better but gonna re-gear soon.

FightOn! KTM
KTM31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

35" tires would cause a huge drop in gas mileage before regearing.

After regearing you'd get some of your mpg back, but certainly not all. It'd still hurt at gas pump.

If it's not a DD, and you can afford regearing, then 35 would be good off road and OK on road, if you aren't going on road trips. But wouldn't you like to go on road trips without getting raped at the gas pump?

If it's a DD, then 32s or 33s (narrower the better) will give decent gas mileage.

It's difficult to enjoy a Jeep when gas mileage bends you over to much. Anyone who says otherwise isn't DDing it, or they don't care about wasting money over and over. If you make your Jeep guzzle to much gas, you won't be able to drive it as much.
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
It'd be a huge drop in gas mileage before regearing.

After regearing you'd get some of your mpg back, but certainly not all. It'd still hurt at gas pump.

If it's not a DD, and you can afford regearing, then 35 would be good off road and OK on road, if you aren't going on road trips. But wouldn't you like to go on road trips without getting raped at the gas pump?

If it's a DD, then 32s or 33s (narrower the better) will give decent gas mileage.

It's difficult to enjoy a Jeep when gas mileage bends you over to much. Anyone who says otherwise isn't DDing it, or they don't care about wasting money over and over. If you make your Jeep guzzle to much gas, you won't be able to drive it as much.

The hit from 33" to 35" would be minimal stock gears or not.

I DD mine and drive just as much at $4 a gallon as I did $2 a gallon. I didn't buy it for mpg, I bought it so no matter what, I can make it home. If I have to drive through, Over or under, I still have a better shot than most.

I want my jeep to perform and built it to do so. Im not going to cut corners because gas is high right now. Its not difficult for me to enjoy my jeep at a 100+ round trip DD.

Money is money, They print more everyday and you can obtain more everyday. If its too much money for you, Maybe buy a lifted golf cart or a side x side. In the mean time, Ill be DD on 35" tires as you claim people are liars.
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
The hit from 33" to 35" would be minimal stock gears or not.

I DD mine and drive just as much at $4 a gallon as I did $2 a gallon. I didn't buy it for mpg, I bought it so no matter what, I can make it home. If I have to drive through, Over or under, I still have a better shot than most.

I want my jeep to perform and built it to do so. Im not going to cut corners because gas is high right now. Its not difficult for me to enjoy my jeep at a 100+ round trip DD.

Money is money, They print more everyday and you can obtain more everyday. If its too much money for you, Maybe buy a lifted golf cart or a side x side. In the mean time, Ill be DD on 35" tires as you claim people are liars.
You can't make it home on 33s? I call BS on that.

Your "print more money every day" rant is an attitude than could lead to poverty.

I suggest the OP read Kiowa's rant carefully and consider what he's saying. He's saying who cares how much extra money you spend on 35s and extra gas because money doesn't matter cause you can always get more. That line of thinking can get expensive. It's also him admitting that 35s will cost you a lot more in tires and gas. Just like I said. He really validated what I said and proved my point. 35s will cost you a lot more $ in tires and gas (not to mention parts wear).

OP, do whatever you prefer. Just do it knowing the advantages and disadvantages while making an informed decision. It does make a difference.
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

P.S. - I never called anyone liar. We just had differing opinions is all.

Kiowa is the person who used the word "liar" in his rant post where he said I'm calling others liars.

Nope. I never called anyone a liar. I think some people have mistaken opinions, just as they think I am mistaken, but I never called anyone a liar, I didn't rant at anyone, and I wasn't unpleasant to anyone before Kiowa directed a rant at me.

Even in my response to his rant I was mostly polite, though it's impossible to be totally polite when addressing a rant.
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
You can't make it home on 33s? I call BS on that.

Your "print more money every day" rant is a laughable insight into your mentality. That attitude will serve you well in life (if poverty is your goal).

I suggest the OP read Kiowa's rant carefully and consider what he's saying. He's saying who cares how much extra money you spend on 35s and extra gas because money doesn't matter cause you can always get more. That's nuts. It's also him admitting that 35s will cost you a lot more in tires and gas. Just like I said. He really validated what I said and proved my point. 35s will cost you a lot more $ in tires and gas (not to mention parts wear).

OP, do whatever you prefer. Just do it knowing the advantages and disadvantages while making an informed decision. It does make a difference.

A rant? Are you off your F'N med's?

Of course a tire that is 2" taller will cost more money, What clued you to that fact? The 33" vs 35"? Im well aware that the price is lower across the board on that one as well as the smaller you go the cheaper, Maybe 235's will get the job done, Super light.

But I have never had any more wear on 33's vs 35's and ive ran both many times for many years. If you buy the correct parts and keep up on maintenance, Wear and tear is to a minimum. Even more so if your jeep is a DD 90% of the time.

Poverty? lol All my toys are paid for as well as my house. The difference in gas will be a few dollars difference at the pump. You make it sound like its throwing an anchor out over two inches.
Plus you can always work more, Get a second job, Go back to school etc to obtain more $$. Sorry if your limited vision didn't put thought into that. Or if living beyond your means you can scale back and own a vehicle you can afford to modify.

You lay in on thick if you're not calling people liars that say they DD a rig like that and have no problems. Many people run that size no problem daily.
To each their own, I built my jeep for off road and DD and has served me well for many years and I don't see it failing anytime soon.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I moderated (toned down) my last post because tires and forums are not worth getting upset over and hostility isn't good for anyone.

We have a difference of opinion. That's all.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The 35s will suck gas considerably more than 33s. On my TJ dropping from 35s to 33s (PO had the 35 DC Crushers) got back about 1.5 MPG and noticeably better handling, ride, braking and power. I have a speedo corrector installed. The 33s are BFG ATs, 15X12.5.

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.