33" tire choice as a DD - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 33" tire choice as a DD

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 02-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #31
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguyaz View Post
All I know is I've read multiple review stating the wear on the BFGS is horrible.
/flamesuit on

I decided against them after reading that so many times.
Which BFGs have you heard this about? Personally, I can say I sold a set of ATs that had almost 40K on them and they were in great shape. Don't see why they didn't have an additional 40K or more still in them.

Unread 02-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #32
EddieXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I can personally vouch for duratracs as thats what I run on my DD. I love them. Quiet, Awesome in snow/sleet. No problems in rain...have had only good experiences offroad with them.
EddieXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
computerdeals
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneJob View Post
How did you decide on this '50,000 mile' distance? I'm genuinely curious.
50,000 miles is a number that appears quite frequently in manufacturers warranties. Tires that I am likely to purchase are probably going to be in the neighborhood of $200 each so I am trying to minimize the amount of times that I have to fork out $800 for tires.
computerdeals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #34
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Idk about 50k wear, but another vouch for gy duratracs. I run the 33" for a dd/offroad tire. I had them for over a yr with 3k rotations in between. They even still look new. Great in deep mud, cut through water when rains, and quiet compared to many other aggressive tires. Their just that great.
Unread 02-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #35
Dice48
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Another vote for the Goodyear Duratracs. I just put mine on about a month and a half ago. The road noise is much better. I have battle tested them also and they do great in the mud.
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #36
twocard
2002 WJ 

Grabber AT/2

I have both Goodyear Dura tracs and General Grabber AT/2 . Both are severe weather rated. For a real DD I recommend the Grabber at/2 simply because we are getting much better wear out of them. The Dura tracs are better off road. They are equal on ice and snow on road. Dura tracs look alot gnarlier if that is a issue. Either of these two would work well for you.
Unread 03-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #37
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My BFG ATs are too quiet, I want something I can hear.
tdavid14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #38
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerdeals View Post
I would really appreciate some input on tire choice. I am going with 33x12.5x15
Now as I have previously stated my Jeep will be mainly used as a DD with a small amount of trail use but no rock crawling,

I would rather have a more aggressive looking tire than the Firestone although I realize that aggressive tread and quiet ride don't play well together. I could live with elevated road noise as long as I could get 50k miles usage.
GoodYear Duratracs have an aggressive tread and a smooth quiet ride, and with lots of siping they're great in the rain and snow. and awesome on the trails and in sifty sand. I'm very happy with mine.
003-copy.jpg   003a-touched-croped-avatar.jpg  
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #39
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtrucker View Post
GoodYear Duratracs have an aggressive tread and a smooth quiet ride, and with lots of siping they're great in the rain and snow. and awesome on the trails and in sifty sand. I'm very happy with mine.
In your profile you list the tires as "33x12.50x15 (32x11.5x15) Goodyear Duratracs" What exactly does that mean? Is 32" the actual measurement?
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #40
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver

In your profile you list the tires as "33x12.50x15 (32x11.5x15) Goodyear Duratracs" What exactly does that mean? Is 32" the actual measurement?
If I remember right, mine measured about 32.6 on the floor, but once sitting under the Jeeps weight, they were a hair over 32 even.
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #41
computerdeals
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Decided to go with the Good Year Duratrac's on a set of American Racing Outlaw II wheels, can't wait, lift kit is going in on March 12th
computerdeals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #42
02JEEP
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtrucker View Post
I'm not trying to Hijack but what width are your rims? 8 or 10? Thanks DJ
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #43
4banged
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerdeals
Decided to go with the Good Year Duratrac's on a set of American Racing Outlaw II wheels, can't wait, lift kit is going in on March 12th
You're going to love them. I've been running 31" duratracs for about a year and couldn't be happier. My buddy bought an 01 that had really knobby 32" offroad tires and it was so loud on the road that he went with duratracs...he just called me yesterday after they got installed and he was beside himself with how quiet they are and how much better they behave on the road.
4banged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #44
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Swapped my 235 Dura's to go up to 31" MT/R's last year - I really missed them this winter - they bite like crazy in ice and packed snow and are quieter by design. The one year of wear I put on them barely rounded off the shoulders of the blocks - they looked like a reasonably good wearing compound after 10K miles.

I punctured a sidewall fairly easily within a month of owning the Duratracs - put a branch right thru and put a bunch of shallow slices in the sidewall too - this was on my own property goofing around in some rocks and humps. They are not nearly as tough as the MT/R's and I'd consider them again for a DD, but would not wheel in them again beyond much more than light trails.
Unread 03-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #45
thatoneguyaz
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocard View Post
I have both Goodyear Dura tracs and General Grabber AT/2 . Both are severe weather rated. For a real DD I recommend the Grabber at/2 simply because we are getting much better wear out of them. The Dura tracs are better off road. They are equal on ice and snow on road. Dura tracs look alot gnarlier if that is a issue. Either of these two would work well for you.
Good info
thatoneguyaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.