33" tire choice as a DD - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 33" tire choice as a DD

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I actually have the Destination A/Ts on my truck and the BFG All Terrain K/Os on my Jeep. I also, previously had the Destinations on my Jeep prior to the BFGs. I love them both so it would be a tough choice for me as well. In my opinion it really comes down to how much time you will spend off road and how important the look is to you. The BFGs look better, are stronger and will do better off-road. The Destinations will provide a better ride, better mileage (slightly maybe) and better on-road bad weather performance.

When I switched from the Destinations to the BFGs, I was going up in size (31s to 33s) and I got a fantastic deal on the BFGs as well. If not for that, it would have been a tough choice for me as well. I must say, though that I like the look of the BFGs better but I thought the Destinations looked good as well.

Not sure if I am really helping you with your choice here but I tried!

ll , [______] ,
l --- l_ -OllllllllO-

( )_) ( )_)--o-)_)

Low Output 4-Cylinder Jeep Club Member#91
IrishRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #17
EugeneTheTJ
YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS...

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
If you don't like BFG, you don't have any other 10.5 choices in the AT world.
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For what its worth, I have NEVER had a tire last anywhere near as long as the stated life. Guess I am just hard on tires.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not much, but check out my build thread;
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=squazz;13612008]so I use my original nuts?[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #19
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ

How many 33x10.5 R15 tires have you seen. I know of 3. BFG is the only A/T.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #20
EugeneTheTJ
YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS...

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
How many 33x10.5 R15 tires have you seen. I know of 3. BFG is the only A/T.
I've seen one or two...I didn't realize you were only talking about 33s though. I reckon I read your sentence out of context
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #21
calrain07
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Duratracs are definitely a wise choice. I've been running mine since 2010 and are still great. I get awesome traction off road and I can put full confidence in them in the hard rain. That plus my ride is pretty comfortable and not to loud. Can't go wrong with them IMHO
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #22
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had a discussion once with a Goodyear rep and he stated that, for any brand, to get the rated/warrantied mileage out of a tire you have to run it to the point of almost having no tread at all. To the manufacturer, what they consider "safe" and what is really safe are two very different things and there are so many loopholes to their warranties that they put ridiculously high mileage ratings/warranties on their tires.
ll , [______] ,
l --- l_ -OllllllllO-

( )_) ( )_)--o-)_)

Unread 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #23
greeninwyo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Running Duratracs on my company truck and really like them. I'm in the gas fields so I see everything, mud, snow, freezing rain, and gravel/shale roads. I have been through BF's AT, MT, trexxus, Cooper ST, STT and Toyos. One of the perks of my job is we can put on any tire we want so I get to test anything I want. I put the STT on my jeep over a year ago and they rock, but a little aggressive for a DD. I have the Duratracs on my 3/4 ton because they are a awsome tire for a DD. I'm not saying the other tires are bad but I've just had real experience with all if them and those are my choices.
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #24
greg_kulosa

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I second the Duratracs. I love mine. Very quiet, good wear, great all terrain street tire. Good traction when aired down with the side lugs. I took mine through the Rubicon last year, and they did well. The side walls are a little thin for hardcore rocks, but the OP said they were not into rocks, so that shouldn't be an issue.
greg_kulosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #25
thatoneguyaz
2004 WJ 

All I know is I've read multiple review stating the wear on the BFGS is horrible.
/flamesuit on

I decided against them after reading that so many times.
thatoneguyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
merkchop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have ridden with people that have the KM2's and they seem to do good on the road and are not noisy. May be more aggressive than you want, but still another choice.
I never had any issues out of any of the BFG AT's that I ran in the past and would not hesitate to run them again if I was going to buy new AT's, the ones I had on my 4 door Explorer had well over 60K miles on them when I sold it and still had around 30% tread left. Not sure how long they would last as I have never worn a set out before selling the vehicle .
merkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #27
mg2380
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemac85 View Post
hopefully it wasn't the same set of tires for all those miles.
Of course it was! What, you canít get 150,000 miles from a set of tires?
mg2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
hockey369
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have only personally run BFG MTs (KM) and now im running Pro-comp MTs. The pro comps are 100x louder then the BFG and are wearing much quicker. I had 60k+ on my BFG MTs and there is still probably 30-40% left, maybe a little more. From talking to other Jeepers, it seems the Duratracs are the best choice for an all around DD, they have the aggressive look, are quiet and seem to last a decent amount of time.
01 TJ Sahara, RE BB w/ Skyjacker Hydro Shocks, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, 33x12.5x15 Pro Comp Mud Terrains on Soft 8s, Rampage Frameless Top, A to Z Rocker Guards, JKS Quicker Disconnects, KC Windshield Long Range Lights, UCF Engine Skid, UCF UHC Transmission Skid
My other toys:
04 Harley V-Rod
99 Yamaha GP1200 (For Sale)
hockey369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #29
Djole

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post
For what its worth, I have NEVER had a tire last anywhere near as long as the stated life. Guess I am just hard on tires.
Honey badger wheeling will kill any tire in no time
Djole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #30
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguyaz View Post
All I know is I've read multiple review stating the wear on the BFGS is horrible.
/flamesuit on

I decided against them after reading that so many times.
I agree to a point but if you rotate them frequently that lessens the problem. I have gotten 30-40K out of a set in the past. There wasn't much left when I was done but they did last!
ll , [______] ,
l --- l_ -OllllllllO-

( )_) ( )_)--o-)_)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.