32x11.50r15 really that odd of a size? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 32x11.50r15 really that odd of a size?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

32x11.50r15 really that odd of a size?

I'm currently looking to buy my tj some new shoes. I've successfully worn out my Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ plus tires. (Finally) Some of the wost tires I have ever owned, they have bounced like crazy, they have terrible lateral run-out that my aftermarket steering dampener cant hold down. On a good side they have performed well off road and have worn fairly well.

Here is the deal. I can't seem to find but a few tires that fit my needs in my size. I need a fairly aggressive tire. I usually run AT's due to my many miles on the pavement. But it sometimes causes me problems when i get off the pavement on the weekends into the rough stuff.

I've been eyeballing a set of Goodyear MTR's with Kevlar, due to my buddy putting a set on his jeep and I love them. My concern is with my many highway miles i don't know if they will last, and with the high price tag @#$!.

Back to the point what is everyone running on their riggs. Surely i'm not the only one who uses my jeep like this. So thanks in advance for your info.

Unread 08-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
redo4x
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have that size in maxxis bighorns on my jeep and they do great. My spare is a bridgestone dueler mt and they are also good mt's.
redo4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

How do they wear on the pavement?
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin321 View Post
I'm currently looking to buy my tj some new shoes. I've successfully worn out my Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ plus tires. (Finally) Some of the wost tires I have ever owned, they have bounced like crazy, they have terrible lateral run-out that my aftermarket steering dampener cant hold down. On a good side they have performed well off road and have worn fairly well.
Apparently you didn't keep the front end aligned,tire pressure at the correct psi and rotate them.Steering stabilizer has nothing to do with it.I always buy Mickey Thompson MTZ's (more aggressive)and you can easily get 40,000 miles out of them with no problems.Mine rode great in all sizes(31",33",35").
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
redo4x
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The bighorns wear great on the pavement and do well offroad. They were on my jeep when I bought it (dealer installed). I would consider them again.
redo4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm rocking Maxxis Bighorns right now. 32x11.5s, love them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

32x11.5x15 is what i will be putting on mine soon, 2 nearby shops have them available regularly.

I know a few who use the MTZ's and have no issues with roam or early wear. The Goodyear MTR without kevlar lasted about average, the kevlar supposedly lasts better but I can't find anyone wearing em.

Slightly less aggressive is the (ever popular) BF Goodrich All terrains. The KM2 (if you can get it) is a bit more aggressive than the regular KO and have had a few people say they hold up about average on street wear.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Apparently you didn't keep the front end aligned,tire pressure at the correct psi and rotate them.Steering stabilizer has nothing to do with it.I always buy Mickey Thompson MTZ's (more aggressive)and you can easily get 40,000 miles out of them with no problems.Mine rode great in all sizes(31",33",35").
Don't be so quick to make assumptions. I had problems from the tires from the day I had them installed. Micky Thompson wouldn't help me at all I called 4 diff times. I had the front end aligned and all five rebalanced the day they were installed (I bought them from 4WD.com). I then had them rotated on the rims and rebalanced from two other places within two weeks of initial install. I even had the alignment rechecked just to make sure. I always kept an even 30 psi in all 5. I finally took it to a shop and the guy showed me what the issue was. He took me in the shop with the jeep on a rack and the tires mounted. Spun the tires and you could literally see the lateral run-out (Google it if you don't know what that is). So not being able to afford a new set. I opted for an heavier steering stabilizer just so i could wear them out without wearing out the front of my jeep. It corrected the wobble almost 85%. I agree the tires have lasted for a long time and they have worn really well. But I have been unable to get them to balance and the steering wobble is irritating at least.
Unread 08-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

What kind of millage could i expect from the bighorns?
Unread 08-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
squarelight94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yay! a thread about 32's!

I ride on 32's also. BFG MT's.

After reading and seeing proof that 33's would be as big as one should go with stock axles, I went with 32's more or less to give me piece of mind that maybe that will lower the chance of anything breaking...maybe I'm kidding myself but at least I'm able to trick myself.

IMO, 32's look just as good as 33's, proportion wise. But in my experience they are a bee-hotch to find anywhere except for brand new. I needed to match 1 for my spare...never saw any on CL, eBay or anything. Here in the bay area, I'd say they're rare.

Another problem is with my rear tube bumper. The spare rests right on top, if I had 33's it would be pretty hard to close the tailgate and the rear glass hatch would hit the top of the tire.
squarelight94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I ran on 32x11.5" Kumho KL71 M/T's for about two years. They worked great in every condition I could find including the rocks. Put probably 45k miles on 6 tires, couldn't rotate because they were directional unfortunately. I ran them down to 12 psi on regular steel wheels and never burped air or got a flat offroad. Those things flexed like crazy at low psi. I actually had a stick or something go into the sidewall and come back out and still ran it that way for another year without issue. Pretty cheap too at around $150/tire

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...r=15&x=80&y=13
Unread 08-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have 32x11.5 Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar. Nice size as they're easy on my stock 3.73 gears plus I hang the spare on the tailgate. I have about 3.5" of lift.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
wildkarde
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Maxxis Bighorns Vs Duratrac

I had a set of 265/75/16 Bighorns on my Silverado for 4 years. I got around 40k out of them before I replaced them with Duratracs in the same size a couple of weeks ago. They had another 5-10k in them when I sold them. They wore great as long as you stayed on top of rotation's

No complaints about them, they were great in everything. My Finace got a new job and now drives 140 +/- a day which is why I went with the less aggresive duratrac this time around and why I changed tires before they were really bald. Didn't want to take any chances with her driving home at 1am in a snow storm this winter so new tires were in order and I found a deal i couldn't pass up on the Duratracs. She had been driving to the new job on the Bighorns for almost a year at this point,

She loved the Bighorns in the winter and said she had never felt so safe in winter storms. But also said she really likes the new Duratracs.

As for Duratracs. I now have them on my 03 Silverado and my 02 TJ and I love them. Very good ride, seem to track slightly better than the Bighorns. So far the Duratracs have taken me everywhere I could go with the Bighorns.
With that said I am not a hardcore offroader but they have done great in rock, gravel and some minor mud (maybe 4"-6") and have no doubt at all that they will be as good if not better than the bighorns in snow.

I think I can sum this all up, nothing wrong with Bighorns but the Duratracs are a bit more practical for my situation.
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
JBD

If it was me I'd go with the Goodyear MTRs. Everything I've read about them has been positive
JBD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
Shinta
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
I have 32x11.5 Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar. Nice size as they're easy on my stock 3.73 gears plus I hang the spare on the tailgate. I have about 3.5" of lift.

How do those sound on the road, are they noise or can you still have a conversation with out yelling?

i have a soft top so everything is kinda loud anyway.
Shinta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
goodyear , mtr , tires. tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.