31X9.50x15 Tire Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 31X9.50x15 Tire Question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
FossilJunkie

31X9.50x15 Tire Question

OK, I'll start out by saying I'm Sorry to everyone that I'm sure has answered this question before, but I just got my 2006 TJ and want to get the biggest tire under it without any issues. Interco makes the TSL in a radial with a size of 31x9.50x15, and I was wondering if you would have any issues running those tires with no lift. I've searched the forum and found tons of discussion on the 32x9.50x15 bias ply TSL's, but nothing on the radial 31's. Also, I was wondering if anyone else had run these tires on the street and how the performed and lasted. Any help would be appreciated, and again, sorry to bring this issue up again!

-Landon

FossilJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

31 x 9.50 will fit just fine.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
nicolas-eric
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i bought my new TJ this spring with 32x11.5x15 tires and stock suspension. on the road it was ok, but off the road the tires rubbed on the smallest hill. but with a cheap budget boost you can drive 32s also off the road. if you want to use the stock rims you have to install some 0.75" wheel spacers...otherwise you will get problems with the steering.

here΄s a pic of my stock TJ with 32s with stock suspension:
http://nicolas-eric.de/photos/viewer...e=2&imgid=2041

and here the same with 2" lift:
http://nicolas-eric.de/photos/viewer...e=2&imgid=2084

with 31x9.5 (why not 10.5?)x15 and without lift you will not have problems. but don΄t think about using disconnect off the road - then your tires can damage your fender flares. a friend did that with 31x10.5x15 AND a 2" lift...

nicolas
12.000 lbs Winch • Synthetic Winch Line • 4x 130W Hellas • 4x 200W Hellas @ Lightbar • E-Fan
Jeep TJ Runicon Pics www.timbercrawler.de
nicolas-eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
black05tj

I was actually thinking about that same tire as I've never been impressed with any Goodyear tire I've encountered so far. There are many posts about 31X10.5 fitting a stock TJ without problems. My question regarding this particular tire would be how much advantage/disadvantage would the extra inch of width be? Personally, I was considering the 31X9.5 since mine is a DD, and I figured the narrower tire would offer less rolling resistance and would be better in rain/snow than the wider tread. I don't plan on doing any rock crawling with it, mainly dirt/mud.

Also, any rubs that occur, would it be mainly due to the width of the tire or the height of the tire?
Unread 07-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by black05tj
...Also, any rubs that occur, would it be mainly due to the width of the tire or the height of the tire?
With 31 x 9.50 tires, rubbing would be due to the tire height. 9.50 wide tires are available as a factory option on the TJ, so they fit absolutely fine in that respect.

With 31 x 10.50 tires, they'll rub due to both the height and width. The width problem can be easily solved by adding a few washers under the steering stops. This will have a minimal impact on the turning radius.

ANd I'm assuming you'll disconnect your front swaybar. If you leave it connected, 31" tires will not rub.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
FossilJunkie

That's kind of my reasoning behind the 31x9.50 is that it is my DD. Narrower tire = less rolling resistance = better MPG. The other reason was that I'm partial to the old military jeeps that used to run a narrow tire and I absolutely loved the stance and look of them. The last reason is that all mighty $$. I don't have the time or money to invest in lifts right now, so I want to get the best bang for my buck with the fewest problems. Thank you all for your thoughts and comments!

-Landon
FossilJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.