31's or 32's for a 2" BB??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 31's or 32's for a 2" BB???

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-13-2004, 02:17 PM   #1
cravnpup

31's or 32's for a 2" BB???

Well, the fiance and I went down to the local off-road shop after she decided she wanted to do something about the wimpy appearance of her TJ... She's a teacher so she's on a budget, and they suggested the 2" Budget Boost for her as a good starting point. They also suggested only going to a 31" tire if we were going to do any sort of off-roading (which we do regularly). The only thing is that she's worried that she's going to shell out $650+ for tires and end up wishing she went with the 32's. This will be her daily driver and weekend off-roader so we'll probably end up with an All-Terrain tire. What size do you all think is best for what we want to do??? BTW, some of the off-road trails we frequent require some decent articulation (her stock TJ can't make it up some sections)..

2002 TJ-X (hers) - 4.0, 5 speed, 3.73's (open), 2" BB with 32" BFG AT's on AR23's, Turbo City intake, 180* t-stat with highflow housing, and a Magnaflow 14" catback with straight pipe (can you say loud?)..
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

31" tires fit perfectly fine on a completely stock TJ...

with a 2" BB, I'd definitely go with the 32" tires...and I really like the Yokohamas we just purchased...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
cravnpup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon
31" tires fit perfectly fine on a completely stock TJ...

with a 2" BB, I'd definitely go with the 32" tires...and I really like the Yokohamas we just purchased...

Greg
Funny, the Geolanders are 2nd on her list... So they wont tear her fenders off even with front disco's??

2002 TJ-X (hers) - 4.0, 5 speed, 3.73's (open), 2" BB with 32" BFG AT's on AR23's, Turbo City intake, 180* t-stat with highflow housing, and a Magnaflow 14" catback with straight pipe (can you say loud?)..
Unread 04-13-2004, 02:39 PM   #4
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravnpup
Funny, the Geolanders are 2nd on her list... So they wont tear her fenders off even with front disco's??
haven't off-road tested them...only put 'em on last weekend (OK, I know that's not a good excuse)...

but, with everybody flexin' their TJ's on 31" tires with stock suspension, I can't imagine the 32" tires would be a problem with the RE BB installed...

Greg
Unread 04-13-2004, 02:45 PM   #5
cravnpup

Gotchya.. So how's it look?? Any tight parking lot rubbing??

Unread 04-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #6
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Gotchya.. So how's it look?? Any tight parking lot rubbing??
looks great...

had to put spacers on the stock Canyons as preventative maintenance...to prevent rubbing or hitting the upper spring perches...

no rubbing anywhere so far...

I'll get pics up as soon as it quits raining around here...

Greg
Unread 04-13-2004, 02:50 PM   #7
cravnpup

Great. What size spacers, and where to buy??

Unread 04-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #8
cravnpup

BTW, they'll be going on the stock 15x7 ECCO's...
Unread 04-13-2004, 04:26 PM   #9
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
BTW, they'll be going on the stock 15x7 ECCO's...
you won't want to put too wide a tire on 7" rims...but I would think 11.50's would be OK...

I bought my spacers here:

http://www.weirdharoldscoolparts.com/new%20page0.htm

$43.50/each (shipped, including lugs)...as opposed to the $125/pair + shipping for the Spidertraxx, or $60-$65 each from Performance Wheel...

I went with the 1.25" spacers...somebody else here purchased 2" spacers (but I haven't seen the pics)...

they make them up to 4"

Greg
Unread 04-13-2004, 05:44 PM   #10
mykl2001TJ

Gears

Hey guys, this is exactly what I am wanted to run on my TJ (4L). My only question is am I going to wish I's swapped the gears if I go with 32s?? If I know I'm going to have to shell out for a ring and pinion job, I might as well start looking at bigger lifts and tires. What do you think??
mykl2001TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2004, 06:08 PM   #11
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl2001TJ
Hey guys, this is exactly what I am wanted to run on my TJ (4L). My only question is am I going to wish I's swapped the gears if I go with 32s?? If I know I'm going to have to shell out for a ring and pinion job, I might as well start looking at bigger lifts and tires. What do you think??
I "think" I'd like to know what you're currently running...

If you've got the 3.73's, I'd just stick with 'em if you're just going with 31" or 32"...if you've got the 3.07's, you'll probably want to upgrade...

Greg
Unread 04-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #12
mykl2001TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon
I "think" I'd like to know what you're currently running...

If you've got the 3.73's, I'd just stick with 'em if you're just going with 31" or 32"...if you've got the 3.07's, you'll probably want to upgrade...

Greg
Yeah, I guess that would help, huh? I've got the 3.73's with the D44 rear end. I see you've got a 2001 with the 4L and 32'' tires. Did you switch out the gearing? Are you happy? I talked to a guy the other day when I was admiring his jeep in the parking lot. He had a 4'' lift and 33'' tires. It looked awesome, but he said it drove like hell and he was on his way to get the gears replaced. This is my daily driver so I don't want it to be sluggish but I do want to push it to 32s if I think I can make it (and I don't have the extra $1,200 for ring and pinion job, especially after I spend some dough on new tires). Thanks for the help!
Unread 04-13-2004, 06:21 PM   #13
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

I've got the '01 5-speed running 3.73 gears and 33's...and the '99 auto running 3.73 gears and 32's...

both suit my wife and me just fine...

I'm sure if I was doing 95% interstate I'd want to change them...or if I was doing competitive off-roading I'd want to change them...

Greg
Unread 04-13-2004, 07:41 PM   #14
cravnpup

If you're at or near sea-level you can probably go with up to 33's on the stock 3.73's... Where we live (6000 ft), it's going to be tough to deal with even 32's on the stock 3.73's...

Unread 04-14-2004, 03:39 PM   #15
mykl2001TJ

Quote:
If you're at or near sea-level you can probably go with up to 33's on the stock 3.73's... Where we live (6000 ft), it's going to be tough to deal with even 32's on the stock 3.73's...
Thanks for the help and advice. I think I'm gonna go with the 2'' BB and the 32s. It's nice to have a plan (and it doesn't hurt to get some encouragement before you drop the money on "goodies") I appreciate it.

Mike

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.