265/70-17 ATs Confusion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 265/70-17 ATs Confusion

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

265/70-17 ATs Confusion

Hi Guys,
Shopping for ATs is confusing. I love my DC FC-II 285s load range D on my TJ. They work perfect for highway and Big Bear wheeling, and Im hoping for anything else I tackle in SoCa.

I needed a "commuter" for 2 hour trips to work and grad school. My skidded and bumpered out TJ was $150 week in gas, and my 87 GMC shortbed was worse, so I had to part with my pickup. I got a 98 4runner (first non USA vehicle ever), 2.5" lift, 17" tundra rims, 265/7-17 BFG ATs load range C. I have a 5 speed, rear electric locker, and 4:30 gearing. I guess I will stick with 265/70-17 unless there is a little wider version, or I could squeeze 285s but will need wheel spacers. Well, this 265/70-17 tire size for ATs seems like most are P rated, or E rated! I do not need a 10 ply E rated tire for a small SUV, but P rated do not have strong sidewalls and I do not want to air down, rock climb, and puncture tires.

I like the new BFG Rugged Terrains look like a "neat" decent highway tire with enough tread for mild wheeling, but they are P rated....I could get BFG ATs again, but wanted to try something different for heck of it. I have plenty of tread on the BFG ATs but I can see dry rot, so not sure how old they are despite lots of good tread. I do not want to rock climb with them based on some threads of off road sites of it not being wise to wheel older tires if they show any dry cracks.

I have looked at Cooper S/T (comes in C I think but never saw anyone using them) and ST MAX (only in E I think), Hankook ATMs, Falken Wildpeaks, DC FC-IIs, General Grabber AT, BFG AT and Rugged Terrains, and really am open to anything but not looking to go the more expensive routes if I can avoid it.

Anyone running 265/70-17s with feedback on an AT, and one that is either a C or D range tire so its not heavy as a brick, nor P rated which I read stories yea if you wheel mildly go for it, but other stories of guys being stranded on trails with one or two even torn up P rated tires on rocks.

One of the magazines showed the DC Fun Country "hybrid" but I guess they are not in production yet, and a Mickey Thompson ATZ3 that was slightly more aggressive supposed to be a cross between a mud and a all terrain....but again prototypes.

Thanks!!!

colgatefootball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Randomly found 275/7017 Cooper S/T, odd size and tire but its a slight bit taller and wider, might do trick if I can score it at right price
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

P=Metric. It is not a side wall rate.

E= are a side wall rate and are he!!a stiff on light truck.
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I thought the P prior to size means "passenger", and most of the P ones are only speed rated, not listing C, D, or E load range..and some forums on tires talk about sidewall strength of a "P" tire vs a LT (light truck) C,D, and E tire.

yea I have DC FC II D range on my TJ, they are stiff enough. Im thinking C range is plenty for my driving of my 4runner or the TJ, but most of the bigger tire sizes are E range.

For instance check out Rugged Terrains in 265/70-17....they are a passenger tire, not an LT and not load range rated, just a speed rating...but look at a BFG All Terrain in same size, you can get it in C range or E range
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Just to make things a little more straight forward...

Letter(s) before the size are intended use p, lt etc. if you're on this forum, chances are you want an lt.

Load range follows the size. I'll leave that all up to the person buying the tire, but a C range tire has 6 ply... It goes up in twos all the way to some 24 ply at a N rating.
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thanks....Yea I think I am set on C range, D at most. And trying to see if I can get a decent priced 275/70-17. Cooper S/T, looks like Falken Wildpeak might come in that, not sure about Hankook ATM. BFG AT comes in that size and range as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.