2012 Wrangler Unlimited stock upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 2012 Wrangler Unlimited stock upgrade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
rockrb11
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 Wrangler Unlimited stock upgrade

I purchased a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport in August 2012. I got the most basic package and I want to upgrade from the 16in. wheels and tires that barely fill out the jeep. I'm possibly looking for a bigger rim, maybe 17in. and a bigger size tire to help fill out the jeep and make it a little more aggressive looking. All while keeping in mind I dont use the vehicle for off-roading and most of the miles are commuting to work via highways. So I would need a tire that is practical yet bigger than what I currently have. Being a new jeep owner and new to this forum... any suggestions?

rockrb11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrb11 View Post
I purchased a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport in August 2012. I got the most basic package and I want to upgrade from the 16in. wheels and tires that barely fill out the jeep. I'm possibly looking for a bigger rim, maybe 17in. and a bigger size tire to help fill out the jeep and make it a little more aggressive looking. All while keeping in mind I dont use the vehicle for off-roading and most of the miles are commuting to work via highways. So I would need a tire that is practical yet bigger than what I currently have. Being a new jeep owner and new to this forum... any suggestions?
Rockrb11,
To fill out the Jeep a little better, look into a 33" tire. That will be the next step up for your Jeep. You can also look around in the forsale section and see about a set of either Rubicon or Sahara take offs. those will have the larger wheel you are looking for and also have a little bigger tire.

If you want a good tire for the street, you will want to look for an All-Terrain tire. There are a few really good A/T's out there, such as the BFG All-Terrain. It will last forever and behave great on the road. If those seem to aggressive for you, look at the Toyo Open Country All-Terrain. Again, they will be great on the street and give you the look you are going for.

Hope this helps, shoot me a PM if you need any other help!
-Zach
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
DiscountTire
Vendor

Definitely look into a new wheel and tire package. The stock 16" wheels are narrow and have a high offset that tucks deep into the fenders. If you want to stick with a 16" wheel, look for a wheel that is 16x8.5 with a -6mm offset (4.5" backspace) and a 285/75R16. This tire size will bolt right up without any modifications and will fill the wheel wells nicely. As for tires, there are a lot of great options in the 285/75R16 but I would recommend looking at an all terrain. The Falken Rocky Mountain ATS II has a 50,000 mile warranty and it does great on and off road.

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Useful Links:
Tire Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Wheels & Tires 101
DiscountTire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.