2" receiver tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 2" receiver tire carrier

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
Runnerboy

2" receiver tire carrier

Have you fellas ever seen anybody use a 2" reciever spare tire carrier? I know a drawback of this would be not having access to the tailgate but thats no a big deal. Would it look hideous if I were to take a a 2" hitch and put a peace of 2" tube going straight up on it and fab a mounting plate for the wheel? Workin in a machine shop it shouldnt be hard to come up with something. That away I wouldnt have to worry about a whole new carrier and could still have access to my hitch if need be. Ofcourse departure angle wont be great..but for a pavement pounder who cares? But then again it might just be a stupid idea...

Runnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

not a terrible idea really, but it has plenty of downsides, most of which you mentioned. i think the main key here would be to keep it mounted as close to the body as possible. they do sell these and yes i have seen them on a wide range of vehicles. if you went offroad, you would pretty much need to take it off because it would cause more trouble than it's worth; however, when you do that, you loose your spare tire which is obviously a no-no, so really it comes down to you.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Runnerboy

But say if I where doing 4-wheeling..the rear seat will be out anyhow, couldnt I just take it off and set it inside? Its not like Im going to be rolling over or anything so it wouldnt be any danger in a loose tire laying inside.

I have seen them sold at autozone for around $85, thats just for the carrier, it doesnt have a place for a ball on it. Does modifying a reciever sound like a good idea? I might go as far as making some sort of quick discount system for it so I could just pull 1 pin and lift the tire off and have quick access to the tailgate. I guess the biggest problem will be how much its going to wobble around. 2" hitches usually have some play in them..
Unread 12-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
jmanimal

I have a bike rack for a 2" receiver that is really close to what you are describing. It has a hinge where the vertical meets the horizontal (into the receiver) and a removable clevis pin. It hinges straight down so you can open the gate. Hard to describe, but where the vertical meets the horizontal, there are triangular plates on each side. The plates are only welded to either the vert or horiz. and use the pin to attach to the other. Couldn't be that hard to make. Ill try to find a pic..
jmanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
Runnerboy

jmanimal I would really appreciate a picture when you get a chance. I think I understand what your saying but it would still be nice to be able to get some design ideas
Unread 12-30-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
smokeybear
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The wobble/rattle problem is easy to fix. Drill and tap a hole in the bottom of the reciever on the opposite end of the pin from the tire carrier (or trailer ball or whatever). Run a bolt - maybe half inch or so - up there solid against the stinger. It will prevent rattling.
Unread 01-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
jmanimal

Here you go. The longish extended part on the bottom rear is meant to hold a baby receiver (class 2?) If I were to use something like this offroad, I would not include that length.

jmanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
Runnerboy

Thanks for the pic..it makes perfect sense really! I guess I can start gathering materials at work tommorow! Thanks
Unread 01-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

One thing to keep in mind is the tremendous amount of leverage a spare tire is going to have over the supporting structure you're going to make. It's going to take some heavy thickwall square tubing, a strong design, and a welder who knows what he's doing.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #10
Runnerboy

I figured I would use 2x2x.25 for the upright piece along with 1/2 plate steel for the triangled hinge section with grade 8 bolts backed with washers on both sides..should that do? Plus I figure if I stick it in with some nice bevels on the edges rather than mig then I should get good deep penatration. What you think? Plus all this shouldnt effect the hitch since the most I will haul is a 600lb 4-wheeler..
Unread 01-01-2006, 06:44 PM   #11
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

since you are good at fabrication, you should find someone with a "real" swing-away, that you like, and reverse-engineer that carrier . . . (see Jerry's motto, above) . . .
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #12
Runnerboy

I need some math help. Ive figured up my demensions before when making 4-wheeler spacers on a cnc machine but Im having trouble with the jeep bolt pattern because it is 5 lug instead of 4 like the 4-wheeler. I need to know how far the bolt holes are apart (like a cordinate) ie (2.4,3.5) from a common center point...anyone who can help me with this I could greatly appreciate it. The reason I want it to be so precise is because I will be doing it on a milling maching at work tommorow and I want everything to have a good fit...
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #13
Runnerboy

on second thought..does the bolt pattern 5x4.5 mean that it is 4.5" from each stud diagonally or does it mean that they pattern is 4.5" on diameter?
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
fr3db3ar

5 on 4.5 means a diagonal measure if you skip a stud on each side of the stud you are measureing from..... IE starting with any stud as #1......4.5 to #3 and #4

#2 to #4 and #5
#3 to #5 and #1
#4 to #1 and #2
#5 to #2 and #3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.