16x9 or 17x8 wheel/ tire combo decision time. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 16x9 or 17x8 wheel/ tire combo decision time.

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
SierraNovember
2010 JK Wrangler 

16x9 or 17x8 wheel/ tire combo decision time.

OKay, so here it is. I have come to this decision.
315/75R16 DuraTracs on ATX Ledge wheels which are 16x8, or........
315/70R17 DuraTracs on ATX Artillery wheel which is a 17x9 wheel.

I like the Ledge as far as cosmetics better than the Artillery. But I am pretty sure the 315/70R17 will not fit safely on the 17x8 size wheel. (They do not make the "Ledge" in a 17x9, only 17x8), So if I have to go with the 16x9 to get the "look" I like a lot better, and if the smaller tire is a bit less, should I go that route? Can anyone confirm this? Also, if I order this package from say TireRack or 4wheelparts, do they know the backspacing is okay with an AEV 2.5 inch lift? Or do I need to be worried about that on my own as well? I am getting ready to order something and just dont want to F it up before getting your input! Thanks a million.

I have a Dark Charcoal 2010 Rubicon, so the Teflon looks really nice with my paint. Hence the wheel decision. But if you guys know of another tire to run on a 17x8, I will gladly look into them instead of focusing just on the DuraTrac.

Unread 11-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

No problem putting a 315/70/17 on an 8" wide wheel.

Backspacing should be verified by yourself. Do not trust the vendor to sell you what you need.

I would not recommend 16" wheels. Most the tires for 16" wheels are load range D or E. With 17" wheels, there are more tires with load range C options.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
SierraNovember
2010 JK Wrangler 

So to clarify, I CAN run a 315/70R17 Duratrac on a 17x8 ATX Ledge wheel? I am asking again to clarify because the salesperson at TireRack.com is saying they will not do the mounting and balancing on that setup due to the rim being too small. SO if that is the case, but I am hardheaded and dead set on that ATX Ledge wheel, should I just order everything without mount and balance and try to find a local place to mount and balance? And if I find a local place, what if they say they will not do it either? I hate being new at things like this. I see several Jeeps in the Google images under a search for "ATX Ledge Jeep", so someone has done it before. Or I can go with another tire if you know of one that would fit that wheel. The Wrangler MTR w Kevlar is a C rated tire in 35x12.5x17, weighs 64 lbs and is 311.00 per tire. I like that one as well. But again, he said it will not go on the 17x8 Ledge wheel. WTF?
Unread 11-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tire manufacturers often recommend an 8.5" or wider wheel for 12.50 wide tires. 315/xx/xx is approximately 12.4" wide.

For how we use our Jeeps , the narrower 8" wheel often works better than the recommended 8.5"-10" wide wheel. This is because the narrower wheel holds the tire bead better when the tire is run at lower air pressure. You have less risk of unseating a tire compared to a wider wheel.

The downside with the narrower wheel is you have to run lower PSI in order to get even treadwear.

There is no problem running a 315/xx/xx tire on an 8" wide wheel.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
SierraNovember
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Sir!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.