15 or 17" wheels.....the long term opinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 15 or 17" wheels.....the long term opinion

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
dinosaur12

15 or 17" wheels.....the long term opinion

Yes I did a search but still have questions.

My current setup is a 05 Rubicon LJ that has 17 JK wheels on it (from PO). Short term I want to get some 33" tires on it and then long term (2years) put 35's on it. I want to buy one set of wheels and be done with it. Here are my points/questions.

1 - Short term the 15's look good but it looks like there are starting to be less and less of a section of 15" tires. I could be wrong about this but just seems that way from my searching

2 - This is my DD, maybe hit the trail 1 time a month and am no means hardcore. With 17" wheels I would have an easer time balancing and keeping them in check on the road. 15" would be better off road with more sidewall flex

3 - Really 16" would be a good comprise but there is not much out there tire wise

4 - Long long term I have been thinking about doing a vanco brake kit and these require a 16" or larger. Not sure I will need or do this but I like the option of being able to do so.

5 - 15" are a lot cheaper......

So what is your feedback on this?

dinosaur12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Much of this is going to depend on the tires you want to run. Like you said 15s are stepping aside to larger wheels but only certian tires. On my truck I have 18s and am thinking of dropping to 17s as the tires are cheaper and better selection for my size and load range E.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur12 View Post
My current setup is a 05 Rubicon LJ that has 17 JK wheels on it (from PO). Short term I want to get some 33" tires on it and then long term (2years) put 35's on it.

1 - Short term the 15's look good - sidewall flex
2 - With 17" wheels I would have an easer time balancing and keeping them in check on the road.
3 - Really 16" would be a good comprise
4 - Long long term I have been thinking about doing a vanco brake kit and
5 - 15" are a lot cheaper......
1. If you're doing something in a DD that NEEDS that much sidewall flex or you won't make it, then your definition of "what makes a trail appropriate for a DD" differs greatly from mine. 1" more rubber before the rim starts crunching on rocks is a good thing with 15s though.

2. I find my 17s feel a lot better (even at a modest size tire like 33s) than my 15" rims did on the road and freeway.

3. No it wouldn't. 16s cost very nearly as much as 17" tires and rims, and have a lot more limited options for tires. The only real reason to runs 16s if you ask me, is because you already have some TJ Rubi Moabs and want to keep them.

4. You can do Vanco kits on 15", 16" and 17" rims. I have it for a 15", and even that is a vast improvement over stock.

5. Can't argue that.

How about get some 33" mild AT tires on a set of 17" wheels for the street, and then get some 35" more aggressive tires on 15" wheels for the trail? Best of both worlds?
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I switched to 17's from 15's some time ago in part because the tire brand/size I wanted was not made in a 15" rim, and it looked, even back then, like 15" size options were becoming more limited.
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.