05 GC Limited Broken Valve Stem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 05 GC Limited Broken Valve Stem

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
modette
2005 WK 

05 GC Limited Broken Valve Stem

Well I was cleaning the Jeep today after off-roading and I was using a toothbrush around the valve stems when one stem decided to crack at the threads.

Lucky for me Discount Tire is 1-2 miles up the road. I jumped in and went straight there as air was slowly peeing out. They had me pull straight into a bay before it went flat. Lucky they were not too busy.

Simple I tell the guy, I want 4 rubber valve stems, and band the senors. Okay no problem sir $90. Seems cheap to me and I planned to do this, in fact I was thinking of doing it anyways as two of my tires would slowly go down in air in a weeks time. I'm guessing now the stem has been cracked for a time and I had read about the issue here and elsewhere.

Now the Discount Tire guy said and showed me a newer sensor that is rubber and claimed it would work even after I mentioned not all the WK's were the same frequency. He either blew me off as dumb customer or since I had researched this they have come out with some for the older WK's. Anyone know? They wanted $70 each...seems like an okay price but I really did not even want the system to begin with. Seeing as I rather not even have the sensors and was planning to buy a programmer and turn the system off the banding of the TPMS seemed a good way to go so they are still there should I sell the vehicle. Plus the sensors have been working and one was rebuilt not long ago due to a flat I got and they insisted to rebuilt it for extra of course.

I know I'll be asked "did you have metal valve stem caps", yes I had aluminum ones. Aluminum on aluminum do not corrode (they were higher quality then Autozone). Oh and they never froze on or were hard to turn off, like I said it broke when the toothbrush bumped it softly. A very poor design for a vehicle made to off-road. Hence why I was already considering changing them out a pretty brittle part.

Oh well I'm now on the normal style valve stems. I will have the spare changed over when I get new tires this fall. I have the chrome spare, so I assume it has a TPMS in it.

I just thought I share some pricing for people.

modette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.