05 GC Limited Broken Valve Stem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 05 GC Limited Broken Valve Stem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 03-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
modette
2005 WK 

05 GC Limited Broken Valve Stem

Well I was cleaning the Jeep today after off-roading and I was using a toothbrush around the valve stems when one stem decided to crack at the threads.

Lucky for me Discount Tire is 1-2 miles up the road. I jumped in and went straight there as air was slowly peeing out. They had me pull straight into a bay before it went flat. Lucky they were not too busy.

Simple I tell the guy, I want 4 rubber valve stems, and band the senors. Okay no problem sir $90. Seems cheap to me and I planned to do this, in fact I was thinking of doing it anyways as two of my tires would slowly go down in air in a weeks time. I'm guessing now the stem has been cracked for a time and I had read about the issue here and elsewhere.

Now the Discount Tire guy said and showed me a newer sensor that is rubber and claimed it would work even after I mentioned not all the WK's were the same frequency. He either blew me off as dumb customer or since I had researched this they have come out with some for the older WK's. Anyone know? They wanted $70 each...seems like an okay price but I really did not even want the system to begin with. Seeing as I rather not even have the sensors and was planning to buy a programmer and turn the system off the banding of the TPMS seemed a good way to go so they are still there should I sell the vehicle. Plus the sensors have been working and one was rebuilt not long ago due to a flat I got and they insisted to rebuilt it for extra of course.

I know I'll be asked "did you have metal valve stem caps", yes I had aluminum ones. Aluminum on aluminum do not corrode (they were higher quality then Autozone). Oh and they never froze on or were hard to turn off, like I said it broke when the toothbrush bumped it softly. A very poor design for a vehicle made to off-road. Hence why I was already considering changing them out a pretty brittle part.

Oh well I'm now on the normal style valve stems. I will have the spare changed over when I get new tires this fall. I have the chrome spare, so I assume it has a TPMS in it.

I just thought I share some pricing for people.

modette is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.