03' Rubicon Body Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 03' Rubicon Body Lift

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-13-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
02JEEP
1997 TJ Wrangler 

03' Rubicon Body Lift

I recently purchased a 2 inch body lift for my Rubi. I later found out only by looking at performance accessories website the 02 & 03 lift are completely different. I called 4wheel parts and they had sold me the wrong lift. The 03 lift doesn't even come out til next week. Any tips for puttin on body lift what to look for?? Never done one just my suspension lift.

Jeep in a Box-Used Jeep Parts
https://www.facebook.com/jeepinabox
02JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 03:40 AM   #2
tj2kbob

Boy i would not go more then an inch to 1 1/2 max..remember the body lift really screws up your CG and makes you more prone to tipping...plus the taller the body lift, the more stress yuo put on those body bolts..

I am not telling you what to do, but just think about it..
Unread 02-15-2003, 07:25 PM   #3
macb

all in this forum pretty much agree that 1" BL is the most you should
go...otherwise you really want a suspension lift or at least a BB.
it's ok if you are a street jeeper that doesn't plan on using 4wd.
but you can apply a lot of stress to the bolts when offroading and
a true suspension upgrade will greatly increase your capability but
a BL will not.

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
macb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 10:57 PM   #4
93jeepyj2.5

I run a ::gasp:: 3" BL and go wheeling 1 or 2 times a week....no problems what-so-ever, but maybe thats just me. IT had it on there when I bought the Jeep. I wouldnt have put it on there b/c I think its ugly.

Who here actually broke a body mount from a BL anyways??? Not saying that it wont happen, just very few people have done it and its kinda over specualted if you ask me.

-Heath

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 11:04 AM   #5
JeepinBlue24

tj2kbob-

The center of gravity issue doesn't hold true. You are only raising the body not the whole drivetrain. Therefore there is less going up making things unstable. You are keeping a large lart of the weight lower to the ground, between the wheels. A 3" body lift will have a lower CG than a 3" suspension. Pending all else stays the same.
36 or 38 IROKs

..and keeping the 4banger until she dies!
JeepinBlue24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 10:00 PM   #6
tj2kbob

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepinBlue24
tj2kbob-

The center of gravity issue doesn't hold true. You are only raising the body not the whole drivetrain. Therefore there is less going up making things unstable. You are keeping a large lart of the weight lower to the ground, between the wheels. A 3" body lift will have a lower CG than a 3" suspension. Pending all else stays the same.
Sorry, I don't buy that..when I put on my 1 inch the Jeep drove and turned much different.. I could tell it was raised..It makes the entire steering and susp feel unstable. Enough so that I almost pulled it back off and I have told others to do more susp lift and not waste time with a body lift..
Unread 02-18-2003, 10:03 PM   #7
tj2kbob

Quote:
Originally posted by 93jeepyj2.5
I run a ::gasp:: 3" BL and go wheeling 1 or 2 times a week....no problems what-so-ever, but maybe thats just me. IT had it on there when I bought the Jeep. I wouldnt have put it on there b/c I think its ugly.

Who here actually broke a body mount from a BL anyways??? Not saying that it wont happen, just very few people have done it and its kinda over specualted if you ask me.

-Heath
A YJ and a TJ susp are completely different..therefor they would react different to a large body lift like that. I have seen many folks do the 3 in on Yj's but never on a TJ. And yes it does put extra stress on the mounting bolts. I may never have a problem, but I would rather be safe then sorry.
Unread 04-27-2004, 03:18 PM   #8
JeepinBlue24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2kbob
Sorry, I don't buy that..when I put on my 1 inch the Jeep drove and turned much different.. I could tell it was raised..It makes the entire steering and susp feel unstable. Enough so that I almost pulled it back off and I have told others to do more susp lift and not waste time with a body lift..

I am not saying that it wont change the center of gravity at all, I am comparing a 3" body lift vs a 3" suspension lift. The Body lift will change the center of gravity less than the suspension. COG can be though as how much mass there is and how badly it wants to get lower to the ground.

If you were having that much trouble with the body lift causing you to feel unsafe, i would double check the bolts, mounts, links, anything that may have been changed or moved. 1" shouldn't feel unsafe at all, we have installed them on plenty of TJs, and quite a few trucks.
36 or 38 IROKs

Unread 04-27-2004, 03:49 PM   #9
JeepinBlue24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2kbob
And yes it does put extra stress on the mounting bolts.
...but not enough to cause issues.

I have only seen one episode where "supposedly" the bolts have failed on a body lift due to an accident, on the internet that is...and you aren't even certain that the bolts failed. I have seen a couple hwy speed accidents with fullsize trucks with 3" body lifts and they didn't shift one bit. I have seen plenty of rollovers with trucks and jeeps with body lifts, and never a problem. This is all what I saw, not read or heard about from someone who knows someone who knows.....

A little jeep with a body lift with so many mounting points body to frame will not be affected by stress on bolts. Full size trucks will fill their truck beds up all day with 3" body lifts and putz around and never have trouble with mounts or bolts breaking. I know people who beat the living piss outta their rigs and not one has ever seen a body lift failure except fan shroud relocation brackets and small stuff like that. Usually install errors. If there have been failures due to body lifts I would love to learn about them.

My old 01 Ram had 3" body and I filled the bed and never had sheering issues when breaking or accelerating. My old Toyota was fine too, I beat the crap out of that tough little truck, it had a body lift.

I choose not to have a body lift on my TJ since I don't need one, and I don't like the little gap between the body and frame. But those are personal choices.
36 or 38 IROKs

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.