Not open for further replies.

7/29 Q/A Session - 2007-2008 MK

59K views 108 replies 19 participants last post by  JeepEngineers 
#1 ·
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

This Q/A Topic: Jeep Patriot and Compass

· Direct your questions to the JeepEngineers team

· Let the JeepEngineers team supply the answers

· Keep all questions on topic and related to the Jeep Brand. Off-topic posts run the risk of being removed by forum moderators

· Limit each post to one question. This makes it a lot easier for us to manage during the session and a lot easier for readers to digest afterwards.

· Review existing posts to avoid repeat questions.

· Questions aren’t answered in order of post; you’ll need to allow some time for us to respond.

· There is no need to repost a question. At the end of the session, we check for unanswered posts. An answer will be posted in reply IF the question is on topic and is not redundant.

· If you have something to say to one another we ask that you communicate via PM or within another thread discussion.

· We can’t answer questions regarding Specific Dealer concerns or Future Products

· We’ll do our best to help, but we are not always able to diagnose specific vehicle issues over the internet

Go ahead and post your questions!!

See less See more
#2 ·
With the possible demise of the Compass (no scheduled production date set for 2009) does this mean that you guys will turn your efforts towards a more off-road capable Patriot? What’s the status on the one that Rocky Road Outfitters is involved with?

#4 ·
With the possible demise of the Compass (no scheduled production date set for 2009) does this mean that you guys will turn your efforts towards a more off-road capable Patriot? What's the status on the one that Rocky Road Outfitters is involved with?
Unfortunately we can't answer future product questions....

:cheers2:

What would you guys like to see? Just toss out your ideas. We may not be able to respond or acknowledge each suggestion, but we'd like to hear them!

#3 ·
From Rends:
Are internal fixes planned or done to fix the Patriot roof leaks and the flapping hood problem. Guess these are the 2 major problems still not mentioned in the Patriot TSB lists other than the drain tubes.

Thanks.
Rends

#7 ·
THe big question I haven't been able to find ANY answers to:

Supposedly on our trail rated CVT 2 patriots, theres some gasoline-octane sensing features that optimizes timing or something down these lines. I called chrysler and my dealer and noone has been able to help. What exactly is this feature, how does it work, and what real benefit does it offer?

#9 ·
The trail rated patriot has a unique engine calibration when you are in off-road mode that optimizes performance with premium fuel. Works fine on regular, just slightly better w/ premium. no sensor, other than the engine knock sensor.

#8 ·
Jeep Compass Rallye package...

Who there deserves the credit for getting/having the foresight of The Jeep Compass and Patriot? Brilliant! :thumbsup:

I'd love to Thank them and send them a letter. :cheers2:

Thank You.
Thank You.
Thank You.

#10 ·
Who there deserves the credit for getting/having the foresight of The Jeep Compass and Patriot? Brilliant! :thumbsup:

I'd love to Thank them and send them a letter. :cheers2:

Thank You.
Thank You.
Thank You.
That's great to hear. What specifically do you like about the vehicles?

#13 ·
FDII - Under the front suspension, behind the engine skid plate are two metal tubes that hang below the frame. Three of four ends of the tubes are attached to flexible rubber hose and the fourth appears to be connected to the power steering. The tubes run across the width of the Patriot. I think they're power steering hydraulic lines.

These two lines hang below the frame and are susceptible to being hit while offroad.

I'd like to bend them up closer to the body before a rock bends them for me. I'd use tube bending tools as to not pinch the tubes.

What are the risks behind bending the tubes and brackets mounting them?

Even better, why were the tubes not designed slightly higher? Is there an fluid mechanics reason for them to be below the power steering?

#52 ·
FDII - Under the front suspension, behind the engine skid plate are two metal tubes that hang below the frame. Three of four ends of the tubes are attached to flexible rubber hose and the fourth appears to be connected to the power steering. The tubes run across the width of the Patriot. I think they're power steering hydraulic lines.

These two lines hang below the frame and are susceptible to being hit while offroad.

I'd like to bend them up closer to the body before a rock bends them for me. I'd use tube bending tools as to not pinch the tubes.

What are the risks behind bending the tubes and brackets mounting them?

Even better, why were the tubes not designed slightly higher? Is there an fluid mechanics reason for them to be below the power steering?
They are the power steering rack lines. They sit just behind the front K-member slightly above the ground plane. I have had the Patriot on may off-road events and have never caused any damage to the lines.

#17 ·
Here is my suggestion:

Give us a more capable MK. On another forum, several people have tested their Patriots off-road, and reported problems with power and traction. It seems that once there is too much strain on the CVT, it ceases to send power to the wheels at all.

I loved the idea of the Patriot when it was being released, but I have waited to see how they would perform. So far, I'm not as impressed as I had hoped. There must be a way of packing more capability into a vehicle without sacrificing gas mileage.

Perhaps a "Rubicon" or "Renegade" model Patriot would solve some problems. Something with a true locking differential, more articulation, a higher bumper, a beefier suspension, and some more power.

I'm sure people would pay for more...I would.

#20 ·
FDII - What is the maximum additional angle the CV joints can take? With lifting the Patriot with a 2-1/8" body lift similar to the Rocky Road Outfitters, the CV joints are flexed more than stock FDII. What is the stock angle at the CV joints and what is the maximum the CV joints are designed to flex to?

I'm just trying to evaluate the risk of lifting the Patriot IFS.

#54 ·
We don't recommend lifting your vehicle. The trail rated Patriot has been lifted 1 inch vs. the base vehicle. Going further would exceed the range that the CV joints are intended to work within.

We are interested in customers expectations for off-road use and continue to work towards satisfying these expectations.

Do you want the lift for capability or for appearance reasons?

#30 ·
Well, of course we can't discuss future product and powertrain offerings, but Mopar does offer a "Rally" kit with some different body panels and driving lamps that can be added to any Compass...

#29 ·
the only thing that is really keeping me from them is I feel a 4cyl gas is not going to give me the power I need, the patriot really reminds me of the Cherokee more than anything else, but it is seems low to the ground and underpowered to really push it. Like every jeep-engineers discussion, people would love you for a small diesel(you knew it was coming).

I really want one to try and off road, but I know that jeep is going for a diff niche...I guess that works. Overall I really enjoy the exterior styling.

#78 ·
Try one out on road (test drive, rental) and you can see for yourself what the performance is like. Remember that it is a 4 cylinder, but it will save you $$$ on gas. It's a trade-off. As for ruggedness, the trail rated version is lifted one inch, has skid plates, tow hooks and has the low range CVT.

#31 ·
Gas mileage. That is all. I guarantee if you could get the same gas mileage in a Wrangler, FJ Cruiser, Hummer, etc, you would lose at least 1/4 of your Patriot sales.

Right now, it is one or the other: gas mileage or capability. There is really nothing that has both. Give me a Wrangler that gets 24 mpg, and I'd never look at a Patriot. Give me a Patriot that is a bit more rugged, and I'd never look at a Wrangler.

#43 ·
Autostick is very easy to use. When you are in Drive, move the shifter either to the left or right and the transmission will pick the proper ratio. then you can shift up or down as you please. when you want to leave autostick, just hold the lever to the right. autostick is useful for driving in the mountains or passing when you want to optimize performance - it can be a lot of fun.

#33 ·
Is it possible to run a program to retrofit the AutoStick features on one that didn’t have it previously? We can do the mechanics and electrical but only the dealer can do the programming and it’s not available as a conversion. Also how about the FD II with and AutoStick package?

#50 ·
Is it possible to run a program to retrofit the AutoStick features on one that didn't have it previously? We can do the mechanics and electrical but only the dealer can do the programming and it's not available as a conversion. Also how about the FD II with and AutoStick package?
No plans to retrofit autostick - hardware and software change. As for FD2, autostick will not work - you need the discrete low to activate the off-road mode along with the 4WD lock switch.

#36 ·
With the understanding that you can't address the rumors or future products:

What I would like to see (And that I think would sell well):

Three different variations of the Compass:

1. True Compass Rally.
Body kits are cute but for some of us, what is under the hood is just as important. A good intercooled turbocharged 4 with the AWD and a properly geared 6speed. The buggy needs to be ruggedly built and have enough protection underneath to handle rocks and other road debris. Built in facilities for a roll cage would also be nice.

2. Diesel Compass, AWD with 5 speed manual for the US. Fuel Economy is a heck of a lot more important than speed.

3. Hybrid AWD Compass. The platform is perfect for a hybrid. Note the AWD. Here a hybrid CUV is worthless without it.

NOTE: Skid plates should be readily available for bolt on on all models.

I would be rather sorry to hear of Compass production ending. I am one of many Compass buyers that would not have bought a Patriot instead. The styling is simply too bland.

#42 ·
Are the interior deminsions of the Patriot simular to the XJ?

In a 5spd Patriot, what are the final drive gear ratios? Looking to replace a stock 93 Cherokee with the 5spd Patriot and would still like to be able to access certian remote camping areas. Would this be a wise choice?

Do the Patriots have any provisions to run well at +10,000 feet? I only ask because I have seen very few Patriots here in the high country of Colorado.

What is the largest factory tire size that comes on a Patriot?

I really believe the Patriot would be a good addition to the Jeep family of mine. Although, from reading testimonials from owners, their desire for more power has me concerned.

#64 ·
Are the interior deminsions of the Patriot simular to the XJ?

In a 5spd Patriot, what are the final drive gear ratios? Looking to replace a stock 93 Cherokee with the 5spd Patriot and would still like to be able to access certian remote camping areas. Would this be a wise choice?

Do the Patriots have any provisions to run well at +10,000 feet? I only ask because I have seen very few Patriots here in the high country of Colorado.

What is the largest factory tire size that comes on a Patriot?

I really believe the Patriot would be a good addition to the Jeep family of mine. Although, from reading testimonials from owners, their desire for more power has me concerned.
1st 3.77, 2nd 2.160, 3rd 1.414, 4th 1.026, 5th 0.810, r 3.42, Final Drive 4.12 , Remember the Patriot is naturally aspirated. The Patriot does meet all on road demands at +10,000 feet. 215/65R17 is the largest tire. This is a 28" dia tire.

#44 ·
how about coming up with more Compass MARKETING. i live in Central Indiana and the ONLY ad i can remember seeing that focused on the Compass was the one that seemed to be aimed at the younger generation OR Hispanics.

WHY NO ADS? you can't sell them if you can't see them on TV!!!! :rolleyes:

#49 ·
how about coming up with more Compass MARKETING. i live in Central Indiana and the ONLY ad i can remember seeing that focused on the Compass was the one that seemed to be aimed at the younger generation OR Hispanics.

WHY NO ADS? you can't sell them if you can't see them on TV!!!! :rolleyes:
I'm sorry to hear that. How did you find out about our product? Do you own one?

#46 ·
Us MK owners are just like any other Jeep owners, we always try to get more out of them than what the factory builds because most of us are NOT your average owners, we want more. Can the CVT handle 225 HP or maybe a little more? Just looking to nudge things a bit with out dropping a Hemi in the back seat.

#55 ·
With all the hype over the rear speakers that fold down, why is there no type of low voltage cuttoff / low automatic engine start. Do you know how often my battery dies? I have to carry a jumper box with me at all times...

#57 ·
I also would like to thank you for building a fine AWD economy buggy!

Fuel economy is the number one issue on most peoples minds. These buggies give reasonable fuel economy with AWD which allows those of us that commute up to 100 miles a day on cow paths a fighting chance in winter.

So again, thank you!

Now get to work on the AWD SMALL hybrid!!!

#58 ·
If and when you guys decide to kill the Compass there will be more build capacity at Belvedere to increase the Patriot production. More capable off-road manners should be a priority and will certainly stimulate the interest of the XJ crowd who are looking for replacement vehicles. The Patriot does a pretty good job of capturing the XJ charisma and style but is emasculated in the performance area. While it may seem bizarre there is also an interesting opportunity to share the powertrain from the Calibre SRT with a Patriot in tuner trim. This could be a econo version sibling of the Grand Cherokee SRT which has already worn out its welcome with the marketplace. Recognizing that these low volume projects are very costly there would be tremendous synergy with the Calibre SRT which could make th project both viable and profitable. It would also add some extra spiff for the marketing guru's to get more excited about the Patriot. Keep up the good work and hang on to JTE as long as you can. I am a retired Jeeper and have a lot of respect for what you guys are dealing with in the current management.

#66 ·
No doubt the diesel would benefit some customers, depending on your usage patterns. The issue is the cost associated with meeting the regulations here in the U.S.

I guess the question we'll throw back to the MK forum is: How much would you be willing to pay for a diesel option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.