11/28 Q/A Session - 2008 Jeep Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Engineering - Q&A > 11/28 Q/A Session - 2008 Jeep Liberty

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Closed Thread
Unread 11-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
JeepEngineers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,041
11/28 Q/A Session - 2008 Jeep Liberty

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

This Q/A Topic: 2008 Jeep Liberty

· Direct your questions to the JeepEngineers team

· Let the JeepEngineers team supply the answers

· Keep all questions on topic and related to the Jeep Brand. Off-topic posts run the risk of being removed by forum moderators

· Limit each post to one question. This makes it a lot easier for us to manage during the session and a lot easier for readers to digest afterwards.

· Review existing posts to avoid repeat questions.

· Questions aren’t answered in order of post; you’ll need to allow some time for us to respond.

· There is no need to repost a question. At the end of the session, we check for unanswered posts. An answer will be posted in reply IF the question is on topic and is not redundant.

· If you have something to say to one another we ask that you communicate via PM or within another thread discussion.

· We can’t answer questions regarding Specific Dealer concerns or Future Products

· We’ll do our best to help, but we are not always able to diagnose specific vehicle issues over the internet


Go ahead and post your questions!!

__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]JeepEngineers[/SIZE][/FONT] "INTRODUCING THE GREATEST JEEP[SIZE="1"]®[/SIZE] LINEUP EVER"
[I][URL="http://www.jeep.com/"]http://www.jeep.com/[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeep.com/en/experience/community/have_fun_out_there/"]Have Fun Out There![/URL]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/jeep"]Check out Jeep on Facebook[/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/thejeepchannel"]Check out Jeep on YouTube[/URL]
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/groups/jeepexperience/"]Check out Jeep on Flickr[/URL][/I]
JeepEngineers is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
XJK
The Guru of Nothing
 
XJK's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca
Posts: 6,699
Thank you guys for coming once again

My question is. did you guys put any thought into making the 08 Libby a SA design? or was that decided against from the start?

-Kyle
XJK is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533
 
grogie's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 7,253
Hello! First, my wife and I have an '04 KJ Limited that we really enjoy, and it's a nice compliment to our '06 TJ. The KJ has been problem free and you guys did a great job engineering it. When we bought it, it was just what we wanted and have had no regrets, as for paying under 30k, it has an awesome four wheel drive, the V6 fits it fine, nice ride, has plenty of room inside, and it has a sharp interior. The only reason I can see that we'll sell it when it's paid off is to upgrade to a WK with either a CRD or HEMI for more towing power.

Question: SelecTrac: We always use the full-time four wheel drive whenever the roads get wet. I know that it should not be engaged at over 55 mph, however is it fine to use the full-time at over 55 mph, such as on the interstate during a rain storm at 65 mph (not on snow or ice at that speed of course ). Plus is there more wear to the KJ by using the full-time a lot?

Thanks!
__________________

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533
 
grogie's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 7,253
Next: I recently upgraded tires from the stock size 235/70/16 to 245/70/16. I had heard that this slightly larger tire size would not rub (on a forum), however I do get a rub from the front driver's side tire, when backing and turning the wheel all the way to the right (sounds like it is rubbing on the inside of the wheel well). As the rub really doesn't bother me, is there anything that I can do to correct that (besides going back to previous size )?
__________________

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,494
On my 07 Ram, there are instructions in the manual to "program" the truck to unlock ALL doors when the driver opens their door. There are also instructions to turn of the seatbelt reminder tone.

These instructions are not found in my father's 06 Lib manual, and I was wondering if there is a process that can "program" both of these functions since they are DC? Mainly the All Unlock feature. It's a PITA to get to the rear door and find out it's still locked. If this is not something the owner can do at home, can it be flashed by a dealer?

Thanks...
__________________
-Craig-
95 Rio Grande
07 Ram 1500

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
JeepEngineers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
Thank you guys for coming once again

My question is. did you guys put any thought into making the 08 Libby a SA design? or was that decided against from the start?

-Kyle
Kyle,

Since the existing KJ was already IFS and arguably a sales success, SFA honestly wasn't considered. The Liberty IFS is a fairly robust design and offers and excellent balance between on-road and off-road performance.

Thanks!
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]JeepEngineers[/SIZE][/FONT] "INTRODUCING THE GREATEST JEEP[SIZE="1"]®[/SIZE] LINEUP EVER"
[I][URL="http://www.jeep.com/"]http://www.jeep.com/[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeep.com/en/experience/community/have_fun_out_there/"]Have Fun Out There![/URL]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/jeep"]Check out Jeep on Facebook[/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/thejeepchannel"]Check out Jeep on YouTube[/URL]
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/groups/jeepexperience/"]Check out Jeep on Flickr[/URL][/I]
JeepEngineers is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Limitedguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1
Hello! picking up a new 08 Limited tonight. How come the automatic wipers were not out in time on the new liberty?
Limitedguy is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
jeepjeepster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: , Ky
Posts: 1,978
Was the Dana30a redesigned for the KK? It seems as if the Dana30a was not Engineered to handle offroading as many guys are finding out the hard-way.

If the dana30a is any stronger on the KK, would it be possble to swap it over to the Kj?
jeepjeepster is online now  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533
 
grogie's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 7,253
On the subject of ABS (which back in '04 I had to look hard to find a KJ with ABS): Is the rumor true that the ABS disengages when in 4-LOW, and if so, is that also true in any other Jeeps with ABS (like a TJ with ABS)?
__________________

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
JeepEngineers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitedguy
Hello! picking up a new 08 Limited tonight. How come the automatic wipers were not out in time on the new liberty?
First, thanks for purchasing a new Liberty! The automatic wipers have always been planned as a late avilabilty feature.
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]JeepEngineers[/SIZE][/FONT] "INTRODUCING THE GREATEST JEEP[SIZE="1"]®[/SIZE] LINEUP EVER"
[I][URL="http://www.jeep.com/"]http://www.jeep.com/[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeep.com/en/experience/community/have_fun_out_there/"]Have Fun Out There![/URL]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/jeep"]Check out Jeep on Facebook[/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/thejeepchannel"]Check out Jeep on YouTube[/URL]
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/groups/jeepexperience/"]Check out Jeep on Flickr[/URL][/I]
JeepEngineers is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
JeepEngineers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie
Hello! First, my wife and I have an '04 KJ Limited that we really enjoy, and it's a nice compliment to our '06 TJ. The KJ has been problem free and you guys did a great job engineering it. When we bought it, it was just what we wanted and have had no regrets, as for paying under 30k, it has an awesome four wheel drive, the V6 fits it fine, nice ride, has plenty of room inside, and it has a sharp interior. The only reason I can see that we'll sell it when it's paid off is to upgrade to a WK with either a CRD or HEMI for more towing power.

Question: SelecTrac: We always use the full-time four wheel drive whenever the roads get wet. I know that it should not be engaged at over 55 mph, however is it fine to use the full-time at over 55 mph, such as on the interstate during a rain storm at 65 mph (not on snow or ice at that speed of course ). Plus is there more wear to the KJ by using the full-time a lot?

Thanks!
Thank you for your question! Regarding operating speeds for SelecTrac AWD, it is ok to drive above 55 mph in the full time AWD mode, provided road conditions are appropriate for high speed driving. The driveline is designed to operate continuously in all wheel drive, so you should not expect abnormal wear from frequent use of all wheel drive.

Have Fun Out There!

Jeep Engineering
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]JeepEngineers[/SIZE][/FONT] "INTRODUCING THE GREATEST JEEP[SIZE="1"]®[/SIZE] LINEUP EVER"
[I][URL="http://www.jeep.com/"]http://www.jeep.com/[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeep.com/en/experience/community/have_fun_out_there/"]Have Fun Out There![/URL]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/jeep"]Check out Jeep on Facebook[/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/thejeepchannel"]Check out Jeep on YouTube[/URL]
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/groups/jeepexperience/"]Check out Jeep on Flickr[/URL][/I]
JeepEngineers is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
XJK
The Guru of Nothing
 
XJK's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca
Posts: 6,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepEngineers
Kyle,

Since the existing KJ was already IFS and arguably a sales success, SFA honestly wasn't considered. The Liberty IFS is a fairly robust design and offers and excellent balance between on-road and off-road performance.

Thanks!
Im curious as to what test were done to determine how off-road worthy the KK is. Did you guys compare it to other vehicles? Use a course?

To be honest i do like the design quite a bit on the KK, the IFS is the only thing turning me away but i am very confident that you guys are heading back in the right direction

-Kyle
XJK is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
JeepEngineers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie
On the subject of ABS (which back in '04 I had to look hard to find a KJ with ABS): Is the rumor true that the ABS disengages when in 4-LOW, and if so, is that also true in any other Jeeps with ABS (like a TJ with ABS)?
For KK there is a unique ABS/ESP/BTC calibration that is enabled in 4L0. It allows for greater wheel slip speeds than 2WD/4HI operation but is not disengaged. The BTC (Brake Traction Control) allows for torque to shift to a wheel with traction by appying brake pressure to the wheel that is slipping. This is very advantageous for off-roading and requires the ABS system to be working. Thanks for the question - but I can't speak for your TJ question.
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]JeepEngineers[/SIZE][/FONT] "INTRODUCING THE GREATEST JEEP[SIZE="1"]®[/SIZE] LINEUP EVER"
[I][URL="http://www.jeep.com/"]http://www.jeep.com/[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeep.com/en/experience/community/have_fun_out_there/"]Have Fun Out There![/URL]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/jeep"]Check out Jeep on Facebook[/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/thejeepchannel"]Check out Jeep on YouTube[/URL]
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/groups/jeepexperience/"]Check out Jeep on Flickr[/URL][/I]
JeepEngineers is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #14
JeepEngineers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP
On my 07 Ram, there are instructions in the manual to "program" the truck to unlock ALL doors when the driver opens their door. There are also instructions to turn of the seatbelt reminder tone.

These instructions are not found in my father's 06 Lib manual, and I was wondering if there is a process that can "program" both of these functions since they are DC? Mainly the All Unlock feature. It's a PITA to get to the rear door and find out it's still locked. If this is not something the owner can do at home, can it be flashed by a dealer?

Thanks...
If Vehicle is a limited , you can do that in EVIC. You are comparing two different architectures. If no procedure is available for 06KJ , that must be the corporate strategy for that architecture.
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]JeepEngineers[/SIZE][/FONT] "INTRODUCING THE GREATEST JEEP[SIZE="1"]®[/SIZE] LINEUP EVER"
[I][URL="http://www.jeep.com/"]http://www.jeep.com/[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeep.com/en/experience/community/have_fun_out_there/"]Have Fun Out There![/URL]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/jeep"]Check out Jeep on Facebook[/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/thejeepchannel"]Check out Jeep on YouTube[/URL]
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/groups/jeepexperience/"]Check out Jeep on Flickr[/URL][/I]
JeepEngineers is offline  
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533
 
grogie's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 7,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepEngineers
For KK there is a unique ABS/ESP/BTC calibration that is enabled in 4L0. It allows for greater wheel slip speeds than 2WD/4HI operation but is not disengaged. The BTC (Brake Traction Control) allows for torque to shift to a wheel with traction by appying brake pressure to the wheel that is slipping. This is very advantageous for off-roading and requires the ABS system to be working. Thanks for the question - but I can't speak for your TJ question.
Is the calibration also true for the KJ?
__________________

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline  
Closed Thread
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.