YJ Full 6 Point Cage Build & Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > YJ Full 6 Point Cage Build & Installation

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 12-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Full 6 Point Cage Build & Installation

I started my build with the obvious step of removing the factory roll bars. This was not as easy as it sounds. A couple of years ago, I herculined the inside of my jeep and I covered all the torx bolt heads and plates with that stuff. It took a long time to dig it out of the bolts and to cut it around the plates. I learned a lesson that day. Remove bolts before hercing. I also learned this stuff is tough.

Once the roll bar is out of the way, measure how wide you want your B pillar hoop to be. Remember to leave room for plates and leave a little gap around everything like the door latches and in the corner where the plates are. Take your time on this step because everything else is build around this hoop.

Thanks to Terry, I learned some new tubing tricks. Here is the first couple. It is difficult measure the legs of hoops because the top of the hoop is 7” away from the leg. The easiest thing to do is place another piece of tube to give you a spot to measure from.

When you bend hoops, it is almost impossible to be perfect. Most of the time your hoop is wider at the bottom of the legs then at the top. Use a racket strap to stuck in the width.

Once the hoop is complete, I went to work on the B pillar plates. Here was the plan: have a plate on the bottom side of the boat side rockers with a piece of 1.5” DOM tube welded to it. The 1.5” tube would go through the rocker, floor board, and top plate. Bolts (1/2”) would hold everything together.

The first step was to make the top plate (the one that sits on the floor board). It was drilled with 1/2" holes and a 1.75” hole to allow the 1.5” DOM to pass through it. The top plate was placed inside the jeep and used as a guide to drill the holes on the floor board, rocker, and bottom plate.

Floor Board

The rocker was drilled with a 1.75” hole and spacers were welded.

Finished picture of B pillar plates

E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

B Pillar was set in and tack welded to floor plate.

After the B pillar was done, I bent a similar hoop that is perpendicular to the B pillar. This hoop followed the body of the jeep with a support on the rear fender wells. I made C pillar plates were made with supports for the hoop.

The C pillar plates will tie into the frame because the sheet metal on the fender is really weak. In order tie into the frame, I ordered some bushing from MORE. It comes with two T bushings, a piece of DOM tubing, 1/2" bolt, and sleeve. I used a couple of shock tabs to weld the bushing to the frame. Remember to make the top and bottom plate different sizes to avoid making a shear plane with the sheet metal.

A picture of the frame tie-in. These things were a major pain in the ***.

Unread 12-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A-pillars
The legs where made with two bends in it. I worked my bends from the floor up to the B pillar. The first is 23 degrees to follow the windshield. The second is 67 degrees with 6 degree off axis with the first bend.

The hardest part of the A pillar legs is notching the tube at the B pillar. When I did the second leg, I took more pictures of how this was done. First place a piece of masking tape where the leg will meet up with the B pillar.

Take a small piece of tube and put a piece of steel strap vise gripped to it. The strap will help you position the tube on the curve of the hoop. Eyeball the tube with the tape and tack weld it on the B pillar.

Take your tube master and get the pattern of the notch. It is easier to push the pins with your fingers than sliding the whole pipe master into position. Transfer the pattern to the work piece (A pillar leg). You need to mark the A pillar where you think the notch will be.

A pillar legs

A pillar floor plate. Since this plates sit directly over the boat side rockers, I am not worried about it punching though the floor board, so no lower plate was made.
Unread 12-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Windshield spreader bars

The seat mounts for the jeep didn't come out as nice as I wanted, but it will work. The first problem was actually mounting the seats to the cage. I was struggling with how to do it. My first thought was to have two hoops (directly under the seats) that attach to a piece of tube that spans the bottom of the B pillar. It didn’t work because of the bend radius of my bending die didn’t allow of a good seat attachments. So ended up putting another tube that spanned the width of the jeep right above the tranny tunnel. This also caused some problems because a straight piece placed the seat too high. At the same time, my bender could not bend a curved piece (place the tube lower and bend around the tunnel) because two of the bends were too close. I chose to have the seats a bit higher than the stock ones.

The other problem was to deal with the seat width. The seats have bolster near your shoulders. Which is nice, but the bolster stuck out right by the B pillar hoop (since I didn’t angle back). This really limited how far back the seat could travel on the sliders. I have enough legroom for me, but a person with longer legs will not like driving my jeep. The passenger seat was much easier since I can move the seat more inboard.

I put my new harness in the picture for some “bling” factor.

Work has been started on the rear hoop.

I was a little disappointed on the rear hoop. I didn’t leave enough room from rear passengers. If you seat in the back seat, you are going to hit your head on the tubing when I hit bumps on the trail. I took a lot of measurements before hand, but I guess I just didn’t get it right. I have two 80 degree bends on the hoop and I should have made the bends more like 85 degrees. I also should have made the hoop longer by a few more inches. I thought about making a new hoop for a long time and decided against it. I am running out of time and money. Also, I haven’t had a back passenger in about 2 yrs.

I almost got the roof done (do you call it a roof???).

Unread 12-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Used a 2000lb winch in the roof trusses to hoist the cage!

FINISHED PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 07-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #6
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Very Nice!!
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
xeastend
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Great job on the cage, looks awesome.

I'm gonna guess you have your stock tires on so you can fit in your garage? haha

LOOKING FOR 4cyl axles F/R, 4.10s, will trade for my 3.07s complete

Also need 16x8 rims with less backspacing
xeastend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
Orange_Crush
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heck yeah. That cage looks great. Great job!
Orange_Crush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 05:09 AM   #9
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Location: McGuire AFB (Ft. Dix), NJ/Oxford, NC, I can't wait until I get to leave NJ!
VERY VERY Professional looking! Great job!

Dave
Square Headlights group member #222
Armed Forces Jeeps group member #65
United States Air Force group member #12
Guns and Jeeps group member #10
Ron Paul Jeepers group member #7
yamaguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
jprs_peeprs
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet, Awsome....Nice work!

C.
jprs_peeprs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2008, 01:05 AM   #11
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

really sharp there. thanks for the showing

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Congratulations Rockdrummer93 as the November COTM!!!
The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway was here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
KDog223
2001 WJ 

Wow, that turned out really nice! What equipment did you use for welder, notcher, bender, etc?
KDog223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

nice craftsmanship
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
zachk94

Good work... Wish I could do somethin like that!
zachk94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
kurtis1971
1993 YJ Wrangler 

that looks great.
kurtis1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.