WK Grand cherokee 3.0 CRD oil change/ fumoto drain valve install - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 02-19-2016, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
2008 WK 
WK Grand cherokee 3.0 CRD oil change/ fumoto drain valve install

Just got my 08 CRD and needed to do some basic upkeep. I looked around and couldn't find any write ups with pictures, and Haynes/Chilton manuals donít have anything on the diesels.

Things you will need: 10 quarts of 5w-30 Synthetic Engine Oil that meets Chrysler Material Standard MS-11106 or Mercedes Benz MB 229.51 (i used Total Quartz INEO Long Life), oil filter (I used FRAM CH10323), and to make things easier for next time I got a Fumoto F316L Engine Oil Drain Valve (14mm-1.5) which makes it easier and cleaner to do the oil change

1) So first off get the jeep up on some ramps/ or jack stands.

2) Then I removed the skid plate...there are 4 bolts (1/2in socket) you only need to loosen the 2 near the front of the Jeep. The back two bolts fully remove. You can then push the skid plate towards the front of the jeep and it will drop down.

3) In the engine bay you want to go ahead and take the oil filler cap off.

4) You can then use an oil filter cap tool (itís an 84mm and 14 flats tool. that or you can use an adjustable one like i have) to remove your filter which is located on the right side of the engine bay. Then you just slide the filter off. Then remove both seals and replace with new ones. 1st pic is where the filter is located (removed in pic). 2nd pic shows the filter removed. 3rd and 4th pic show the locations of the two seals

5) Now to drain the oil..(1/2in socket) the reason Iím installing the Fumoto 90deg drain plug is cause when I drained the oil it hits the crossmember and sprays everywhere (1st pic...caused a HUGE mess), so I used the Fumoto drain valve (2nd pic). Once the oil is drained you can then install the drain valve and clean up the mess (3rd pic).

6) Almost done. Now you just need to clean out the residue oil in the oil filter housing. Once cleaned you can now put the fresh oil in the jeep. I put 5 quarts in the oil filler and the other 5 quarts in thru the oil filter housing. Heads up oil in the filter housing goes really slow. Once filled replace your oil filler cap and then the oil filter once those are tightened up you just need to put your skid plate back in place and bolt it in. The bonus to the Fumoto drain valve is that now next time you can simply hook a tube up to the valve, open it and dump your oil directly into your oil pain with no mess and without having to remove your skid plate. This will make the job much easier. Hope this helps someone out! Also remember to let the jeep sit for about 15min after the oil change it allow the oil to make its way thru the engine.

7) Last of all where to get the parts. I ordered my stuff from amazon because I have prime and it was much cheaper that way for me and I got it all in 2 days. Here are some links to the items I bought:

Fumoto drain valve- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o01_s00

04 WJ V8 SE 6in clayton, 35 KM2's, TJ Rubi wheels, 242HD SYE, 4.56, armored and winched

08 WK CRD S-Limited stock pulling DD/towing duty
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.