WJ Doorman Heated Pad Install Write-Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > WJ Doorman Heated Pad Install Write-Up

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Gibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Closed Thread
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
maloj2003wj

2006 WK 

WJ Doorman Heated Pad Install Write-Up

Today i finally fixed my heated seat!!!!
Here is the write up!!!!

So, since i got my 02 Overland my driver's heated seat was never working.
Last week i pulled the seat apart to see where the problem was: and guess what it is the good old heating element wiring totally burnt and ripped apart:

I did some research and found that most people just solder it back together. But i think the damage was so bad that soldering wouldn't really work, and i was too lazy to get the soldering tools in order, and actually solder it myself, I'm not very good at it. So i went ahead and order the doorman alternative from rockauto. I got both elements that they sell the one for the back and the one for the bottom. The bottom one includes 3 pieces: 1 center pad, and 2 side pads. The back one is just one pad.. (i ended up not using it at all)

So today i decided to install it. I wouldnt say that you need 2 people for this job, but it gets a lot simpler when you have someone that can hold the seat, unless you can get it somewhere where its not gonna move. I live in apartment in NYC so i don't have a luxury of having a garage and doing my work there =(

These are the tools that i used:
Needlenose Pliers
Regular square pliers
A razor
small flathead to remove the harness from the motor

and don't forget to get a loyal friend to help you with this

Step 1.

Get your seat to a safe place:

Step 2.

Disconnect the harness from the motor on the right side of the seat:

Step 3.0

Pull the leather off; There are rubber sorta clips on the bottom of the seat on the left side, in the rear and on the front bottom.. You will need to push and pull, some of them can be tricky. On the right side by the motor there is a plastic clip that attaches the seat cover to the metal bracket, take that off too.

Step 3.1

You will need to work your way opening the brackets(metal rings) that attach the seat cover to the cushion do it carefully. i had to cut one bracket because it was a complete circle with no way of opening it. You can cut all of them if that's easier for you, and replace them with the ones doorman provided with the heating element. I'll tell you know its not gonna be easy!

Step 3.2

Pull the seat cover off the back cushion. There are 3 rubber clips that hold it in place on the inner side 1 in the center and 1 on each side. I forgot to take pictures of that.. Sorry. Anyway i found out that the back side of my heating pad was intact... so i decided not to replace it, and send the other heating element back to rock auto.

Step 3.3

Remove the old heating element, use razor as needed. Mine came off very easy!

Step 4.

Adhere the doorman replacement pads, make sure you pass the wire through first, and connect them together...

as you can see the 2 harnesses on each side interconnect with the doorman heating pad... one harness from the heating pad goes back to the main power.. and there is one right in the center of the picture that is not connected to anything, this one is used for closing the circuit if you do use the back heating element from doorman.. I just left it hanging like that.

Nice and neat =)
Now time to bring the seat to the car to see if it actually works...
TADA!!!!!!! IT WORKS!
the bottom pieces fire up real quick, the original one in the back takes a little longer...

Now bring the seat back inside the apartment and close it up. For this you wanna have someone helping you. It's really hard putting those metal wires back in place with the brackets...

I did use 3 of the brackets that doorman has provided the are ok.. as far as the "pliers" they provided total crap.... I'd rather have them give me a better price on the pad instead of this stupid $h*t!!

After you done with putting it back together bring it to you car and

Voila!!!!

i hope that this was a good write up its the first one im doing...
If you need instructions on taking the seat off the car you can probably find them on wjjeeps.com or just search here on forum.
Thanks for you attention =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.