wingless' Factory Transfer Case Skid Plate Well Nut Replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-26-2015, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

wingless' Factory Transfer Case Skid Plate Well Nut Replacement

My vehicle was special-ordered w/ the Up Country Suspension Group.

That includes the skid plates, for the front suspension, the gas tank and for the transfer case.

My transfer case skid plate has remained in my garage for years because the rivet nuts used to retain the bolts into the blind holes on the transmission crossmember and on the "frame" tube had deteriorated and failed.

My attempts to replace these rivet nuts had been unsuccessful. The factory documentation shows usage of a special tool. Without that tool, I tried using the bolt and a wrench to bulge the nut, no good.

Now the Mopar M10-1.5 rivet nut parts are almost made from unobtaineum. I found one vendor. They have only ten of the Mopar 6502 662 well nuts remaining in-stock. I have not found anyone else w/ this part.

There are other vendors with an M10-1.5 rivet nut in their catalogs, in steel, stainless steel or aluminum, but I don't know the availability or the Minimum Order Quantity. The steel Mopar 6502 662 dimensions are: OD - 12.45mm; Body Length - 16.80mm; Head Diameter - 13.63mm; Head Height 0.82mm and thread size M10-1.5 ISO. Here is a vendor listing a compatible part.

A special rivet nut tool was designed and fabricated to install this M10-1.5 rivet nut. It is very similar to this tool except mine works w/ this M10-1.5 fastener.

The tool worked exceptionally well! The blind fasteners all seated properly into their blind holes.

Now I will be able to replace my transfer case skid plate.

M10-1.5 Rivet Nut and Transmission Cross Member Blind Hole

Custom Rivet Nut Tool

Tool at Start Position

Tool at Finished / Bulged Position

Bulged Rivet Nut

Transmission Cross Member w/ Two New M10-1.5 Rivet Nuts

Name:  Rivnut.gif
Views: 190
Size:  315.8 KB
*GIF image credit to RivitNutTool.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
My vehicle was special-ordered w/ the Up Country Suspension Group.
The 6502 662 rivet nut is used on my 1994 ZJ Grand Cherokee to attach the factory transfer case skid plate.

This is a three-point attachment, w/ two fasteners in the transmission cross bar and the third in the driver's side "frame" tube.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-19-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

When I examined the factory-installed rivet nuts, then compared them to those I installed, I found that the factory barely bulged the rivet nut and I bulged the nuts to a much greater amount.

This is determined by examining the distance from the surface to the threads on the factory-installed rivet nut and on the rivet nuts that I installed.

Also, this factory-installed rivet nut that I removed shows very little bulge. This rivet nut worked okay until I drilled it out for removal, then it spun w/ the drill bit.

My latest experience w/ my tool revealed that it is MUCH easier to bulge the rivet nut while under the vehicle and the blind hole overhead. I used my floor jack and a socket to push the tool hard up against the vehicle, then rotated the bolt pulling the wedge to bulge the nut.

That worked GREAT!

The nut was rotated until the torque increased, by feel, then I stopped attempting the bulge the nut.

All three rivet nuts were inspected and all appeared identical for the distance from the threads to the surface and the interior appearance of the bulge.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.