U-Joint Axle Shaft Overhaul w/ Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > U-Joint Axle Shaft Overhaul w/ Upgrade

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 05-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

U-Joint Axle Shaft Overhaul w/ Upgrade

I finally replaced my weak CV shafts found in ZJ with stronger U-joint axle shafts.

One day I found a pair of old XJ axle shafts with ABS that needed new u-joints on e-bay and $80 and one week later they were mine.

Of course, after hanging out with you guys I couldn't just OEM rebuild them so modding began.

First I had to decide on what u-joints I would want to run with my D30. D30 axle shafts come stock with 5-297x u-joints. There are plenty of choices : OX, CTM, Spices etc but after estimating $$$ of my project "want" got replaced on "need" and "can afford".

For example great Ox u-joint - $130 or even better CTM joint -$205 .

My choice fell on Spicer 5-760x u-joint, used by Superior in their Super 30 kits. It's good affordable ($23 shipped) u-joint that also used in Dana 44 axles and supposedly 20% stronger than the 5-297x style. 760x has the thicker body with even thicker sections near the cross shafts and the cross shafts have more metal in them.

After doing some research on u-joints I've noticed all BIG u-joints come with full circle snap ring vs. just OEM Spicer c-clip. Even Superior replaces c-cips with full circle ring for 760x in their Super kits. Believe it or not these full circle clips add a lot of strength to the joint because they prevent the cap from walking out which is perhaps the most common cause of u-joint failure.
So where would I find snap rings? Our friend- Home depot.

1 3/16" external snap rings would do the trick. Bolts/nuts section, 3rd drawer from the bottom, $0.70 each.

Unfortunately, the stock Spicer outer shaft wasn't designed to accept full circle snap rings. If you compare Warn shaft to the stock Spicer you will see how more material was cut away at the base of the yoke allowing the use of full circle snap ring.

zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

So what do we have to do? Right, make stock axle look like Warn one.

I made about 1/8-3/16 cut in the yoke just deep enough to clear snap ring

I used sawzall but if you have band saw it would be even easier. Here is the final product:

You may ask is removed metal would make the shaft yoke weaker. I would say no as inner shaft's yoke does not have that additional metal. By modifying outer shaft we will just make it as strong as inner shaft and we all know that in general an assembly is as strong as its weakest point. It looks like Spicer engineers designed that lip to keep C-clip from spinning anyway.
I won't go into details how to assemble u joint cuz there are lots of write-up on it and it's pretty simple. But this is IMPORTANT. Place snap rings on the cross of u-joint behind the rubber cap prior installing u-joint in the yoke.

Oh yeah, don't forget to get a snap ring pliers. They will make this job a snap

And finally I used some galvanized spray to keep whole assembly from rusting

And there you have it!

Unread 04-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
bankrboy30

I'm up for that -- definitely seems like my way to the 760's and what is the worse than can happen I end up getting beefed up axle shafts somewhere down the road. I'm going to do it this weekend.
bankrboy30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Smokey007

Your tools look really new!
Smokey007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

So hows it holding up im getting ready to rebuild mine and think this is the way to go
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazz View Post
So hows it holding up im getting ready to rebuild mine and think this is the way to go
I sold my ZJ a while back. I saw in on the street one day so it's still kickin
I'm planing to do the same thing on my 12 JK once it's time to do ball joints and will have axles out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.