Tj Cowl Induction & Snorkle - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > Tj Cowl Induction & Snorkle

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 07-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #16
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm doing this as we speak! Parts at Autozone; $45

lostone73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #17
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscathed View Post
You may also consider putting a cowl scoop on your rig backwards so the opening faces the windshield. You would get better airflow and keep the majority of any rain out of the cowl area all together. It has something to do with how the air hits the windshield and creates a vortex, which forces air into the cowl better then if it was facing forward.

That is what I may do next.
Yea, no. You want it to face forward. You're thinking more along the lines of a raised cowl hood, which is designed to draw air in through the cowl, and down around the engine for cooling, and also to reduce vacuum drag... cars with a raised cowl will still use a normal intake a top a carb or whatever they have. What you are looking at is a scoop, or a bird catcher as we liked to call them several years ago. It's more for looks than anything on a cowl of a Wrangler.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I just completed this mod as well. For the people like me that love a little science to go with it, this is my findings.

I drove around for about 4 days in stock form with my scanner hooked up and recording IAT data. this is what I found.

STOCK AIRBOX-UNMODIFIED- 99 degree Houston days with 96% Humidity (gathered over 4 days)

IAT while doing 60 mph on freeway for 15 mins= 138degreesF
IAT After 10 mins Idling in traffic= 178 degreesF
Highest IAT Achevieved= 181degreesF
Coolest IAT Achieved= 111 degrees

Ok, now onto UNSCATHED's mod, which I did nearly the same but I used my stock rigid ABS intake tube.(you will notice my PCV hose is not connected yet in photos, but is now) I also installed the plastic hoodscoop over the grill.

IAT while doing 60 mph on freeway for 15 mins= 99-101 DegreesF
IAT After 10 mins Idling in traffic= 129 Degrees F
Highest IAT Achevieved= 154 Degress F
Coolest IAT Achieved=consistant 2-3 Degrees above ambient!

All in all very happy with this mod, I notice a difference in throttle response as well as a cool new growl she never had before! Enjoy the pics!
Bert
Unread 08-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

here are my results.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/DSC04582.jpg
Unread 08-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #20
Damstr8

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Spectre Performance just released their spin off this. It's nice when a company sees what the owners are doing and and puts some work into a product. Best part is the filter is removable in the engine compartment.

$159.99 from Quadratrec for the for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4.0L Engine
Damstr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i know this thread hasent been open for awhile but i just thought of an idea to help keep any snow, rain, etc. from getting into the air filter if it is mounted inside the cowl. you could use any filter, maybe certain sizes/shapes would work better than others, and have a cover that is open on the bottom. for example, if you have a cylinder shaped filter, you could use something like a metal coffee container or a bucket, attach it to filter somehow so that it hangs over the filter with space between the bucket and the filter, leaving the only way for air to get in being the bottom. so from the bottom view, the air filter would be a smaller circle and the bucket would be ~2" bigger diameter circle. most of the rain or water would just fall through as long as you are not submerging the filter itself.

any opinions? ive been wanting to do the cowl intake mod for awhile myself but i go through mud and it rains alot here in florida so this was a substantial problem to me.
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #22
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i did this and im going to back to stock setup. the intake is so much louder than normal. annoying in my opinion.
Unread 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #23
Ekbrown37
1997 TJ Wrangler 

HELP ME OUT HERE.

I have a 97 2.5L..

Im going to swap a 4.0 throttle body on ( yes its a mod to get a little power...) So could i do this mod to my 2.5L with the 4.0 throttle body???? or would that be too much air going into the motor?
Ekbrown37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #24
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nope that would work fine
Just make sure you swap all the sensors
(iac, tps, etc) from your 2.5 throttle body to the 4.0 piece going on
Otherwise it will idle a little funny and act a little strange
That's what it did on my wife's 2.5 untill I swapped the sensors
The more air you can get in and out of the engine the better
Better volumetric efficiency is always a good thing
Every little bit helps

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum while swearing about how my rig is not done
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #25
D3f4ult
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekbrown37
HELP ME OUT HERE.

I have a 97 2.5L..

Im going to swap a 4.0 throttle body on ( yes its a mod to get a little power...) So could i do this mod to my 2.5L with the 4.0 throttle body???? or would that be too much air going into the motor?
The actual intake method has nothing to do with fuel to air mixture. As said many times before the stock intake is very unrestrictive. The main reasons of doing the cowl mod are for colder air and/or to relocate the air intake higher on the body in order to make water fording safer.
So yes you will have more air added to your fuel to air mixture but it will be due to the throttle body not the intake method.
Does that make sense?
D3f4ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #26
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i am going to be doing this mod soon... I have a rugged ridge "CAI" on my 2.5 TJ and the intake tube gets super hot from crossing the engine bay... i am going to use the intake tubing, cut and fit existing aluminum tubing to cowl, and stick a AEM dryflow filter under the cowl... i also have one of those scoops facing the windshield already so i am not worried about water... the tube gets so hot i can not touch it! even w/ hood vents...
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #27
GregStephens2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am running the Spectra and a cowl scoop/cover.
I recently did some puddle jumping during some flooding after all this damn rain we keep getting in the north east.
I pulled the filter afterwards and it was bone dry.

Puddle jumping ='s 12 to 20 inches of water and splashing it well over 20 feet in the air and all over the jeep.

Silly I know but my 7 year old Love's it!
Unread 10-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #28
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

good to know! i am going to be doing mine tonight so i can post some pics...
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #29
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

so i just installed my DIY cowl intake... it went on pretty easy... here are the parts i used:

AEM dry flow filter (same size as first post)

spectre 3 inch silicone coupler

spectre 3 inch 90* elbow

2) spectre 3 inch intake mounts

spectre 3 inch intake hose

4)1/4 20 - 1 inch- stainless bolts with washers, lock washers and nuts

4 hose clamps

I already had a rugged ridge CAI so i cut the intake just after the breather for the valve cover and since it was already 3 inches wide and had a 90* coming out of the throttle body I simply used the intake hose to make the bend to the cowl where i mounted the intake mount... used the 90* elbow on the other side and mounted the filter and put the cowl and wipers back on...

notes:

I am going to install a cowl scoop facing the windshield to minimize water... it has been raining for the last 3 days but the cowl area is still dry but this will just be a safety.

the filter needed a little bit of massage work so the cowl would fit... i used a 16 ounce rubber mallet to make room for the filter... i also had to give the filter one good bump so it did not contact the cowl... the filter fits but it is a tight squeeze.

i drilled my hole as low as I could... there is a body ground mount where i put my 3 inch hole and i simply relocated that to another bolt. I also have a 2.5 4 banger so i had to be careful with my wiring loom while i was drilling the 3 inch hole as well as the 4 1/4 holes for the bolts.

I had to trim my AC plastic shroud inside the cowl so the filter would fit... a hacksaw worked perfect on the plastic

the cowl intake is LOUD!!! actually really loud... not sure if I like this or not... I am going to drive it around for a while and see but first impressions of the noise are not good... i think it sounds "cool" but this will get old really quick... i eventually would like to do the hummer stack so maybe this will help... the filter will get its own "box" and i could always add sound deadening material in the cowl area and on the backside of the cowl as well...

other than that I will report my findings and post some pictures soon... with my new hood vents and shortened intake i think there will be less heat soak on the intake which was my main reason for moving the filter to the cowl and using the plastic flex tube... i like how this is a true CAI and wish I had done this sooner! the noise though is the only issue i have with this so far...
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

could you show some pics aparke? im interested in doing this as well as possibly some hood vents
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s

Last edited by NaeKid; 10-22-2011 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Moderator: Approved post
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.