Tj Cowl Induction & Snorkle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > Tj Cowl Induction & Snorkle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
Unscathed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Cowl Induction & Snorkle

Tj Cowl Induction & Snorkle
It's my first write-up, I will ad more pictures later.. as well as fix mistakes.
(I didn't realize I was supposed to post this in the write-ups area)

I started this project some time ago, looking at different write ups which made it a lot harder then it ended up being because you had to source junkyard parts and crap. Since sourcing the parts was a pain in the butt, I made this write-up so anyone that wanted to take a trip down to Autozone, could get everything they would need.

I have this installed and it works nice... I will add my mileage/horsepower benefits later.. as I just really did this to get clean cold air, instead of the warm dirty air it pulls from under the hood as well as a type of snorkel for deeper water driving & protection.. So far it
has provided better throttle response as well as some minuscule gas mileage increase.

DIY Stealth Snorkle/Cold Air intake:
Cost: $75

Novice install time from prep: 30-60 minutes

Requires the following:
Hole saw
Drill
Silicon
And the following products:

1- Cone Air Filter – Part No. 9192 – 19.99

1- 90 degree elbow – Part No. 8698 - $9.99

2- Air Intake ducts – Part No. 8148 - $5.99

1- Air hose 3” x 3 feet – Part No. 8741 – $19.99

2- Intake Tube Coupler’s – Part No. 8771-6 – $7.99

4- 2.5” to 3” hose clamps around $4 bucks

STEP ONE
Take the two Air intake ducts and attach them back to back using Silicone sealant so you have two ends away from each other to attach pipe to. Hold them together for a couple hours or a day to ensure a nice hold. Cut away any silicon that may appear in the center

STEP TWO
Take off the air induction cowl which is held on by 7 screws and two wipers.
4 of the screws are along the window sill – 1 is in the center of the vent on the hood.

2 more screws are actually where the hood meets the cowl. you have to lift the hood to get to them.

The wipers have this little lip on the backside, closest to the cowl that you just pull down a half inch to let you pull off the wiper arms.

STEP THREE
After you remove the cowl, you will see the cowl basin area, wiper motor, and AC/Heater shield duct. Depending on where you put the hole and where the air filter ends up, depends on if you will need to take out the AC/Heater shield. Keep in mind, you will need something to prevent water from flowing down the vent and onto your floor boards if you remove the little air-dam that covers this hole...

I took mine out, but I don’t think I needed to after all was said and done.. but anyway. Take it out for now. measure up and cut a whole in the firewall/cowl area so that one end of the Air Intake ducts fits through.

Drill out the firewall for the four bolt holes that you will see in the air intake ducts you attached to each other. This will allow you to mount the intake to the firewall/cowl area. I would put a little silicon where the intake duct meets the firewall) and put the bolts through and tighten it up.

STEP FOUR
Take the 90 degree elbow
and one of the Intake Tube Coupler’s

Attach one end of the rubber coupler to the air intake duct that is inside the cowl area.

Attach the other end of the rubber coupler to the 90 degree elbow (which the opening should be facing the passenger side) and then attach the Air filter
to the other end of the 90 degree elbow.

The inside is pretty much done. Depending on the clearance of the air filter, there is a small chance you may need to use a 5lb hand sledge to pound down some metal inside the cowl area. And before you close up the cowl area, turn on your wipers to make sure your motor arm will clear the 90 degree tube. Slight pipe adjustments will fix any clearance problems you will have.

Then bolt down the cowl and you are done with the first half of the project.

The second half will differ a little on how you do it…

LAST STEP
If you have the stock ABS pipe, you can cut it down as close as you can to the throttle body, keeping in mind that you will still need petcock so the vent line can still run from the valve cover.

At this point, all you need to do is take the 3” x 3 foot Air Pipe (http://www.autozone.com/images/produ...spe8741003.jpg) and run it from the intake coupler you just attached to the firewall, to the pipe headed to the throttle body.

I have this intake riser that I think can be found on 97-98 TJ's.. and the only reason I have it was because I bought it trying to do some other custom stuff, otherwise I would have just cut off the tube running to the stock box and piped right up to it.

If you want to see what the clearance looks like from the sides:

And that is pretty much it!

The filter can be changed to whatever anyone wants.. if they have one preference over another. I just put this together to keep it simple. Sounds awesome when you press the pedal

Top down view:

You may also consider putting a cowl scoop on your rig backwards so the opening faces the windshield. You would get better airflow and keep the majority of any rain out of the cowl area all together. It has something to do with how the air hits the windshield and creates a vortex, which forces air into the cowl better then if it was facing forward.

That is what I may do next.

Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
harriscal
1994 YJ Wrangler 

did u say that air box ther that u have is of a 97-98 tj
harriscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Gibson57
2004 TJ Wrangler 

so is this another " snorkle " mod? Like is water a lot less likely to get into the cowl area?
Unread 09-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
ksfiremedic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Does your filter get wet when it rains
ksfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

can you attach a snorkel to it if you need to? otherwise it looks good
Unread 09-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

suggestion

I like this mod. very good writeup too!

my idea is to cut the vented part of the cover and add a hinge and a latch (maybe one of those magnetic push to open latches) to allow it to fold open so you could attatch a snorkel pipe sticking up for those who find deep water.

question: so there was an increase in mileage? what is the difference in the sound of your jeep?

Thanks!!
SHAKEnBLAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
FeetsDragon
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had planed on this so when I seen the pic's I was off to work. My TJ looked different than his so those 2 Air intake ducts didn't work for me and I didn't use the slinky hose either. I just bought a 90%, a 45%, an intake tube reducer, and extended my PCV hose. Turned out cheaper, especially if you do the math on all those products that are listed to buy. I can supply pictures if wanted and the sound is a little bit louder when you get on it. Thats fine for me. They also say to put the cowl scoop on backwards due to the vortex by the windshield and I'm sure it helps keep water out to.
FeetsDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
TJoshX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am interested as to what happens when it rains, more-so when it snows. I live in Maine... will snow be a problem.

cheers,

Josh

2002 Inline 6 TJ-X 4.0, D30/D35 w.4:56s
2inch BDS Full Coil Suspension, Incubus 511 Rims, 33inch Mickey Thompson ATZ, Bestop HighRock Front (w/Stainless Grill Guard) and Rear Bumper, KC SlimLites, Custom "TJ" Tail Light Covers

When I Die, Bury me in my JEEP. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of! : )
TJoshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
TJoshX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Double...sorry

2002 Inline 6 TJ-X 4.0, D30/D35 w.4:56s
2inch BDS Full Coil Suspension, Incubus 511 Rims, 33inch Mickey Thompson ATZ, Bestop HighRock Front (w/Stainless Grill Guard) and Rear Bumper, KC SlimLites, Custom "TJ" Tail Light Covers

When I Die, Bury me in my JEEP. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of! : )

Last edited by TJoshX; 09-23-2008 at 06:36 PM..
TJoshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
FeetsDragon
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJoshX View Post
How about when it snows?

Josh
I am new to all this air intake stuff but what seperates this from any snorkel? I believe snow would travel through a snorkel. My guess is the only concern is a flood of water that exceeds the amount that can drain out the bottom before reaching the filter. That being said the factory breather draws from the fender well just above the wheel. So dont get too deep I guess. The cool thing is if people are really scared of the water then they could silicone a plastic wall or weld a metel one.
Unread 10-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
Robz2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cool design , ive also built a custom homemade air intake using the stock air box. Let me know if you want me to send pics
Robz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
Socaljeep1

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Neat idea man...but now I suppose it takes longer to visually check or change the filter. I live in a dusty climate so this is a concern to me as I clean my filter after each trail ride. I would worry that a person might get lazy about checking the filter because of the amount of time it would require. But any way I'll give you props for being creative.
Socaljeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 05:24 AM   #13
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What happens when you wash your Jeep ???
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
FeetsDragon
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
What happens when you wash your Jeep ???
Mostly the Jeep becomes clean and the rest of the water drains out the bottom of the cowl. You could probably pour a 5gal bucket it there but I don't want to try it and I also don't plan on driving under water either. It still gets crappy gas mileage though.
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #15
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Funny, I just bought the exact same parts at Autozone (except for the air cleaner) in hopes of doing the same thing. Nice to know it works. I might add another 90 degree elbow and extend the filter up through the cowl Hummer style.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.