TJ Blower/Heater Switch Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > TJ Blower/Heater Switch Replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler WeatherstrippingJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Closed Thread
Unread 12-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
er2ergrn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Blower/Heater Switch Replacement

Replacement of the blower/heater switch in a 1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Symptoms:
1) Speeds 1 and 2 worked
2) Speed 3 didn’t work
3) Speed 3 (Hi) worked initially but would quit working and a simple wiggle of the switch would correct this.

Tools required:
1) Flat bladed screwdriver
2) Phillips head screwdriver
3) 6mm nut-driver
4) Switch Omix-ada 17903.04

Explanation of problem:
I bought my Wrangler used with an 160,XXX miles on it and I figured I would need to do work on it. Well when I bought it the heater switch would periodically quit working and all I would have to do would be to wiggle the switch and it would work. This only applied to Hi speed. The other speeds worked right all of the time. When Hi quit working altogether, I figured I would need to replace the switch because the lower speeds worked. Normally the resistor pack being bad would be Hi working and lower speeds not working. It could have been the blower or wiring also but I figured that with having to wiggle the switch and I could get it to work that would preclude these things. I decided to check the condition of the wiring (i.e., looking for charred wires or distorted plastic from too much heat) when I had everything opened up and make that decision then.

Ordering Part:
I first needed to locate a switch. I looked all over and was finally able to locate the part number I needed. I ordered mine from Ocono-Offroad. It came with free shipping via USPS. It came in less than a week at Christmas Time. I found it several places other than this one, but the price was more and still had to pay for shipping.

Brief description of steps:
• Head to parents for the heated garage
• Pull into garage and disconnect the battery
• Pry up top dash insert
• Remove ash tray
• Remove screws holding front bezel on
• Remove screws holding Climate Control panel on
• Disconnect the wiring harness from blower switch
• Remove and install new switch
• Put back together in reverse

Detailed description with pictures:
First we will need to disconnect the battery (battery is normally located under the hood). No pics were taken or needed for this stage.
Now get your flat bladed screwdriver and pry up the top insert that goes the whole length of the top front of the dash. The insert is only held in by spring clips so gentle pressure should be all that is needed.

Next we will need to remove the front center bezel to gain acces to the climate control panel. There are three screws for this. Two screws are on the top and one is behind the ashtray.

Now you should be able to gently lift out and up to remove the center bezel. This will give you access to the climate control panel, which is held on by four screws. Remove these and pull the panel forward.

At this point I decided by looking at the state of the wiring that I would only replace the switch and not worry about the blower at this time.

I then disconnected the wiring harness from the switch. I just squeezed the two tabs together and wiggled the plug until the harness came loose.

The next step was to remove the switch from the panel. It is held on by one screw on the back of the switch and the knob on the front. The knob can very easily be removed by gently prying the knob off of the shaft of the switch. I didn't take a picture of this but I didn't really think one was needed. If someone wishes to see this I can take a pic simulating this but at this time I will not. Once the knob is removed and the screw as well, you can work the switch around until it pops out. I had a little difficulty doing this part and cracked my casing around my panel. I believe this can be avoided by first pushing on the bottom of the switch (side opposite the retaining screw), to release it from its catch and then lifting the switch out.

At this point all you need to do is install in the reverse order making sure that all the wiring harnesses are plugged back into the panel!!!!!!! I tested the switch at various times during the reinstall to make sure nothing came loose or got pinched off and it was working until for some reason we had the panel screwed back on and nothing worked. Come to find out there is a secondary harness on the far right of the panel that had pulled out (it can be seen if looking closely at photo six showing the back of the panel). We re-plugged this one back in and everything worked, problem solved.

That is the way to replace the blower/heater switch on a 1999 Wrangler Sahara. If anyone feels there is a point that needs clarifying or a better pic taken feel free to pm me.

Tom

er2ergrn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Tags
blower motor switch , heater controls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.