SKIM "Sentry Key Immobillizer Module" install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > SKIM "Sentry Key Immobillizer Module" install

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #16
vilseck21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Total cost with shipping and 2 OEM dealer keys was 157.00 from Buy Mopar Car Truck Parts | Genuine Discounted Mopar OEM Auto Parts | Mopar Accessories

vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #17
Disconnect
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I did it last month (thanks for a great writeup!) and now I have a P0633-SKIM KEY NOT PROGRAMMED IN PCM
but otherwise its great. (Dealer sucks. A lot. I'm gonna find a better one to fix it. This guy took an hour, managed to freak out the ECM so that it told him he'd have to wait 2 hours and try again, etc. Fortunately he hadn't tied them together yet, so it wasn't -actually- unhappy..)
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #18
Disconnect
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and if the mod could append (oops)

A cheaper source of keys is either ebay or the quadratec rock keys (they are about $20). Be careful about locksmiths that can "program" replacement keys - what I saw in another thread is that they are just cloning the old key, so you still won't have enough keys to program a new one..
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #19
joules102
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So what did your dealer have to do to get it installed? I have called the 800 customer service number, talked to the service advisor, talked to a tech, looked it up on dealer connect website and they all tell me it can not be done if it did not come with the skim from the factory. Trying to get a PIN is like pulling teeth...

My irritation level is off the hook talking to those folks. I ask them what the non skim ECU part number is, they resolutely repeat the same statement that they made just prior. If it did not come with SKIM then it cannot be done, everything else is beside the point.

Anyone know a good dealer that can help with this in the LA area?
joules102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #20
Disconnect
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dunno about a dealer out there, but the procedure is basically as listed earlier:
- put it in, DO NOT HOOK IT UP.
- go to dealer, with pin.
- Dealer plugs in scanner, plugs in skim reader, enters skim setup menu (didn't see how specifically)
- bond skim to ecm with pin (I don't recall if it is bond, join, program, etc. but it was fairly obvious. and its not the "replace skim module" one, its "bond new skim" or some such)
- program keys to skim from same menu
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #21
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry it took so long to respond to "What did they do?".
Dealer #2 followed the FSM trouble shooting process.
As told by the tech, "When the DRB tool was hooked up, I got a "no communications" message. I followed the "No communications trouble shooting" section. Found a dirty connector at the airbag module. If any connections are loose or dirty, this will cause a no communications message, and no programming can be done. DRB cannot talk to the ECM. Connector cleaned, DRB talks, programming and reinstall of pieces took about 10 minutes".
The FSM describes how to install a SKIM system with programming. As described in the OP writeup, it is really easy. The tech just has to read that section. The harder part is getting the service writer to understand it can be done.
At this dealer (Bill Boruff - Sparta, Tennessee) the Service Manager understands the product, and was "hands on" supporting the tech. Even though they are about a 1 hour drive from my house, they will get my business.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #22
maddiver
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just did some digging around and I can't seem to find a SKIM module (also known in the parts lists as an "ignition immobilizer module") for any TJs before 2002.
Anybody know if they made them for the 1999 or 2000?
maddiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #23
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Based on my parts listings, 2001 is the first year where an immobilizer module appears. The list also indicates it is a new part that year.

2000 indicates immobilzer module "not required".

97 - 99 do not name an immobilizer module in my parts list.

HTH
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #24
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1 View Post
Based on my parts listings, 2001 is the first year where an immobilizer module appears. The list also indicates it is a new part that year.

2000 indicates immobilzer module "not required".

97 - 99 do not name an immobilizer module in my parts list.

HTH
Try looking at a 99 Sahara. I know my old 1999 TJ Sahara had the SKIM Immobilizer on it.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #25
maddiver
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You are both correct.
I did some further digging and found the SKIM module by a different name located elsewhere on the parts list. The part number for the 2000 module is:
56009712AC - which, has now been updated to 56009712AF. My local dealer has them for 62.55 +tax. They guy in the parts department wanted to argue with me. After he made his "you can't do that" speech I said: "Hey, I'll worry about that. Are you going to sell me the part or aren't you?" He got pissy but sold me the part. Then, when I went to the service manager to get it installed he got a kick out of the fact that I was adding it. When I told him about the parts guy you'd have thought I him with a baseball bat. Apparently the parts guy has a problem telling people what they can and cannot buy for their jeeps.
Oh welllllll -
maddiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #26
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconnect View Post
Dunno about a dealer out there, but the procedure is basically as listed earlier:
- put it in, DO NOT HOOK IT UP.
- go to dealer, with pin.
- Dealer plugs in scanner, plugs in skim reader, enters skim setup menu (didn't see how specifically)
- bond skim to ecm with pin (I don't recall if it is bond, join, program, etc. but it was fairly obvious. and its not the "replace skim module" one, its "bond new skim" or some such)
- program keys to skim from same menu
So if i order the SKIM and keys, and install myself (not hooked up until dealer has it), where do i get the pin number?

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Currie Control Arms Install Tips
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
UncleWilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #27
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWilson View Post
So if i order the SKIM and keys, and install myself (not hooked up until dealer has it), where do i get the pin number?
Nevermind. 1 day later with more sleep to re-read the thread and i understand now that the dealer can see it using the vin.. ah ha

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Currie Control Arms Install Tips
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
UncleWilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #28
phoenixkeyguy

Hello all!

I am a locksmith in the Phoenix area and I thought I would reply with my two cents here...

this is a great addition to your ride that will greatly increase the security of your vehicle.

RedRubiconLJ has done his homework on this subject.

Dealerships will charge exorbidant prices because they have you "by the balls" if you lose a key
and your ride is stuck at their shop. Its true you have to have 2 working chipped keys before you
can add the 3rd-8th keys. Keys range in prices and you don't have to just buy them at your dealership.
A locksmith in your area can provide you the nessecary keys for cheaper *lets say $25-$35 to duplicate
the cuts of your chipped key onto a not yet working chipped key.

QUOTE:
"Be careful about locksmiths that can "program" replacement keys - what I saw in another thread
is that they are just cloning the old key, so you still won't have enough keys to program a new
one."

True there are some locksmiths that will do this!! A reputable locksmith in your community will
have some kind of programmer tool (advanced diagnostics or TKO) that plugs into the OBDII port on your
Jeep and can ORIGIONATE keys just as the dealer would. Typically it costs around $100 a key.
They also can clear fault codes and a number of other things!! Be wary if they aren't going
out to your Jeep to 'program' the keys, they are just cloning them then.

Dealers 99% of the time they will

charge you 1 hr of shop time to add keys that you can do yourself in about 30 seconds!!

Just follow the instructions in your users manual for adding the 3rd-8th keys.

Also if you do this install and accidently plug your SKIM module in, instead of towing your Jeep to the

dealership and having to get your car fixed during business hours only; you could call a reputable

locksmith who can come out and do all the key programming and get you set up (even in the middle of

the night) and may even be cheaper after all said is done without missing work or additional trips to
the dealer!!

QUOTE:
"I have called the 800 customer service number, talked to the service advisor,
talked to a tech, looked it up on dealer connect website and they all tell me
it can not be done if it did not come with the skim from the factory.
Trying to get a PIN is like pulling teeth..."

The reason for this is because the pin is what unlocks your vehicle and allows all the components
to work with your car's computer and a would be theif can use the pin to program a new key and
steal your ride. It is almost impossible for an individual to get them to give you a PIN # over
the phone...

The dealership has a computer program that runs your VIN and are able to pull up the PIN in
seconds. A decent locksmith will have access to these systems as well and will be able to get your
PIN in a few minutes.

If you already have 2 working ORIGIONATED keys, you can buy additional keys/key blanks from
a "cool" locksmith probably cheaper than you can find online and get them cut/duplicated so theyre
ready to add.

The key model for a 2007-2009 Jeep that is chipped is a Y164-PT (very common locksmiths will carry this key for about $20 uncut/unprogrammed)
The key type for a 1998-2006 Jeep that is chipped is a Y160-PT (very common locksmiths will carry this key for about $15 uncut/unprogrammed)

these two when programmed correctly are considered origionals to your car's computer

I hope this helps you guys!! Just if you do need a locksmith to help you make sure they know you would
like keys ORIGIONATED and not CLONED!!!!
phoenixkeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
DanFelix

Good stuff, thanks for everyone's input.
DanFelix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #30
worminator

new post?

Sorry but i'm new to this and can't find how to post a new topic?????I have a 1997 cherokee and recently it has developed a click click repetetive noise when the headlights are on note not sidelights just headlights wondered what this could be.......sorry 4 going through this route..wormy
worminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
key , programming keys , skim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.