SKIM "Sentry Key Immobillizer Module" install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > SKIM "Sentry Key Immobillizer Module" install

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

SKIM "Sentry Key Immobillizer Module" install

Just did this today
Given the number of Jeeps being driven away without our permission (Stolen) lately I and several others in my local club have decided to add the factory SKIM set up to our Jeeps. This will prevent your jeep from being hotwired or a non chipped key being duplicated and used to steal it. When a non coded key is used it will kill your Jeep after about 2 seconds.
Doing this is very simple.

I bought the below keys and module to help deter the theft of my Jeep. Please consult with your Jeep dealer using your VIN # to determine part numbers specfic to your vehicle. The following part numbers came from my receipt and are for a 2005 TJ/LJ;
Key blank # 5018699-AA
SKIM Module # 56010209-AD

The SKIM keys are grey and thicker than the black non SKIM keys.

Here is the install process;

Once you get the parts together remove the top and bottom half of the steering wheel covers, by removing the 2 screws at the bottom of the steering wheel as indicated. There are 2 screws at the base of the steering wheel;

and 2 screws on each side of the steering column for the dash piece. The dash screws are longer and thinner so keep them separate from the steering screws. The panel has two metal clips at the top so you need to pull lightly and they will pop out once the screws are removed.

Once you have all that removed take your module and place the ring over the ignition. It slides over snuggly and seats up against the back of it;

Then rotate it down as needed to slide the clip onto the steering column support;

Take note of the small plug not being used and snip the tape holding it to the harness;

That is the plug that will be used by the dealer ***DO NOT PLUG IT IN*** Just remove the tape to make access for the dealer easier.

Now drive to your dealer of choice. They will need your VIN to get the PIN code to program your keys. They just enter it in their computer and it pulls it up. No need to call anyone. They will need the DRBIII tool for 05 and newer or scangauge for 04 and older.

Once they have the proper tool and code they will need to take that loose plug and connect it to the SKIM module and activate it first by placing your VIN in the module via their tool.

Once the SKIM module is recognized/activated they can place the key in the ignition, turn it on, (Not start) and enter the PIN code and hit "yes". If you have more than one key they just repeat the previous sentence. Now you are done.

When you start your Jeep with a key you will now see the yellow/orange "No Key" symbol next to the cruise light on your dash. It will stay on until it sync's the key and module/computer. One of 2 things will now happen, the light will go off and let the Jeep continue running because a good key is being used or stay on and shut off the Jeep because a non chip key or bad key was used. It will do this in about 2-3 seconds.

If you brought your screwdriver with you you can place all the plastic back together or go home and finish it up.

I bought 3 keys. The reason is that if you have one key go bad you can replace it and program it yourself as long as you have 2 working keys. If you only have 2 keys and one goes bad you have to have the dealer program the new key.

To program a new key if you have 2 good ones, you simply place one good key in the ignition and turn it all the way on but do not start it. You repeat this with the second good key, then you use the new key and your all set. This procedure is in your owners manual. The system will keep track of up to 8 keys.

If you want to test to see if your Jeep shuts off after the install is complete, take your old key and start the Jeep. It should shut if in about 2 secs. DO NOT do this several times. After the 3rd or 4th unsuccessful attempt, it will lock you out of the computer and your Jeep will need to be towed to the dealer. Im not sure on the exact number of tries but it will lock you out if you do this too many times.

I want to thank my daughter for the ability to use her finger(s) as pointers during the making/installation of this project.

I would also like to Thank Huffines Jeep Plano for their help with this.

Fine print and disclaimer: Please consult with your Jeep dealer in regards to your parts. Part #'s could vary. If you connect the spare plug to the module before getting to your dealer you have done so at your own risk after having been advised not to and are responsible for your own towing and repair charges.
NO Child labor laws were violated in the making of these pictures. No children were abused, injured, harmed, or placed in danger in anyway during the making of this writeup.

RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
hollyhellrazor

does anyone make a coded keypad kinda like the transporter movies im good at remembering numbers but i lose keys alot and i def dont want a bunch of coded keys running around just in case someone can get my VIN off the keys or somthing next thing you know there's a stolen jeep with my VIN runnin around
hollyhellrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
cmorra68
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Can you give a rough estimate on cost for this? Did the dealer charge to program the keys at all?
Unread 05-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'd also like to know what it cost.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
TJ Willy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice write-up.

Looks expensive. I went with the poor man's approach and hid a kill switch that disables the fuel pump.

And seriously, has times gotten so bad we have to have children labor laws in our disclaimers? Wait... don't answer that...
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
TJ Willy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ok... so not sure what happened to my post... but here goes again:

Nice write-up. Good pics and illustration.

Looks expensive. I chose to go with the poor man's approach and put a kill switch on the fuel pump.

And seriously, have times gotten so bad we have to put child labor law disclaimers in our write-ups? Don't answer that... - they probably have.
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
06JEEP-IL

Would really appreciate any details regarding costs? My dealer said, and I'm not kidding you, "we're not supposed to do this.... $1000"
Also wondering if anyone know if the SKIM MODULE may be pulled off a junked jeep? There's an 06 here, that was totalled.
06JEEP-IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Great writeup! Costs???
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cut-fold-rear-lower-quarter-panels-right-way-1007865/#post9237914"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way![/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-2000-xj-build-fully-armored-fully-capable-979162/#post8964962"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Verdana"]My 2000 XJ Build[/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/B]
Paraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
jeepnkal
2001 TJ Wrangler 

cost??????
jeepnkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like the SKIM module list price is $96.10 and the list price for the key is $54.60 (each). The big variable is what the dealer will charge to do the programming - figure on being charged a minimum of an hour of shop time.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is something I just posted up...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/loud-twist-kill-switch-mod-1005521/

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

RedRubiLJ did an excellent write-up. I did this exact thing in Jan 2005 (probably could find the write up, but not as nice as this one) to my 2002 after many people said; "It can't be done". Took the dealer less than 15 minutes from time he took my keys until he handed them back. SKIM worked as expected. Paperwork took longer than the tech.
BUT:
I just bought a 2005 Rubi LJ. I bought the same exact parts as listed by RRLJ, went to the same dealer and the same tech on Tuesday afternoon. In less than 5 minutes he came back to me and asked "Do you have a ride home". I thought he was kidding. Wednesday afternoon "we need to order an ECM". Thursday afternoon "ECM arrived, we have the Jeep running, but we can't clear a light on the dash, need the Jeep another day".

Saga to be continued.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Brought the Jeep home. Sentry key (SK) light is on all the time in the instrument cluster, sentry key module is in the cup holder disconnected, Sentry Key is disabled. Svc Mgr asked me what I wanted him to do. In addition, he asked me to pay for the ECU. The tech obviously needs some help, more than he was getting (tech stated that 2 different factory tech advisors at Jeep said, "That was a 2002, this is a 2005; some can't be done, can't help you further"). Svc Mgr asked what I thought was fair. I "asked" him to get personnally involved. There are people in Jeep tech further up the food chain.
My logic: Sentry Key is a factory option,asleep until enabled along the assembly line or when a DRB tool tells it to wake up. There is a PIN number to access the programming of the ECU, SKIM keys are programmed/activated, there is no separate part number for a ECU w or w/o SKIM. Therefore, can't be too hard. If a vehicle on the assy line does not activate properly, it is sidelined and sent to a special crew. When Jeep was ordered, if the SK box option has been checked on the order sheet, this would have had a SK. Wiring harness has the pigtail, ready for the module to plug in.
Comments?
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Took the Jeep to another dealer. This one recommended by a retired Jeep manufacturing troubleshooter. Problem solved in one hour, SK works as expected, no lights on in dash, except for the short time the SK is "thinking".

Saga closed. RRLJ did an excellent write-up.
Unread 05-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #15
CherokeeOwner
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1 View Post
Took the Jeep to another dealer. This one recommended by a retired Jeep manufacturing troubleshooter. Problem solved in one hour, SK works as expected, no lights on in dash, except for the short time the SK is "thinking".

Saga closed. RRLJ did an excellent write-up.
So what did they do?
CherokeeOwner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key , programming keys , skim

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.