Reduce Underhood Temps- Exhaust Wrap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > Reduce Underhood Temps- Exhaust Wrap

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
TXjeepTJ

What if you prepped it extremely well, put on a few coats of high temp. rust proof paint - then wrapped it?

TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #17
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm wondering about this as well. I wrapped the pipes on my bike and got an extra kit to do my brand new Edelbrock Header that I'm installing. I've been putting off the installation, because I'm not 100% sure if I should wrap it or not. I was worried how nasty it would get with me wheeling. I'd use High Temp header paint to prep it, wrap it, and then seal it with the silicone spray that comes with the kit. Anyone do this and not have their header rot out in 2 years and how does it hold up to washing it? Not pressure washing with extreme force, but just some engine degreaser and the hose once every couple of months.
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ive knowticed none of the hightemp paint really holds up. Ive even done the bake on high temp and used our oven at work after about a month the paint came off. i think the only option is to get ceramic coating, but that in it self acts like a heat retainer.
Blue WK club #5
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ, random leafspring budget lift ith 33s on 16s and V8 swap.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ --SOLD.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #19
tehgregzor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9465 View Post
the stainless steel that rusts. made in china i suppose.
Perhaps it was sever corrosion due to oxidation, and not rust?

Yeah...chinese metal sounds like a more likely explanation ha.
tehgregzor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehgregzor View Post
Perhaps it was sever corrosion due to oxidation, and not rust?

Yeah...chinese metal sounds like a more likely explanation ha.
Oxidation is rust.

Stainless steel can and does oxidize or rust, it is far more resistant then carbon steel, and was probably a poor grade of stainless.
Weeeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #21
75SV1

I wrapped a set of headers back in the late 80's. Tehy did rust quite severly. They did reduce the underhood heat, a lot. In that car a 75 Bricklin, it was way worse than a jeep. Stick your head in an over for comparision. I then had the headers Jet Coated. It reduced the heat almost as much as the header wrap. They still look new. Although I haven't driven the vehicle much. Headers get hot, so I don't see why or how a bit more heat would crack them.
There are two types of Stainless, 300 series and 400 series. One if magnentic (the cheaper one), and the other non-magnetic. I think they use the magnetic one in headers, as it is easier to bend. And yes, I have seen SS rust. It was a revolver that was in a flooded basement.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #22
richardshd

The wrap made by COOL IT sold at NAPA has a high heat coating spray that you put on over the wrap to protect against moisture, abrasion and keeps the wrap from deteriorating. The guys that had their pipes rust probably didn't use this spray right? Just a thought.
richardshd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #23
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardshd View Post
The wrap made by COOL IT sold at NAPA has a high heat coating spray that you put on over the wrap to protect against moisture, abrasion and keeps the wrap from deteriorating. The guys that had their pipes rust probably didn't use this spray right? Just a thought.
Wrong. I coated mine with that. I painted the header before wrapping. And after wrapping. Maybe I didn't coat it enoguh, but I doubt that. I haven't had much if any probelms with JET coat or the Armour coat on the Pace Setter headers.
Tom
Unread 10-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #24
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

There are 2 kinds of stainless steel ferrous and non ferrous. Ferrous is more likely to rust but will not rust out under normal conditions. All stainless will rust when covered. So the wrap prevents oxygen from getting to the stainless causing it to rust.
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #25
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastheJeeper View Post
There are 2 kinds of stainless steel ferrous and non ferrous. Ferrous is more likely to rust but will not rust out under normal conditions. All stainless will rust when covered. So the wrap prevents oxygen from getting to the stainless causing it to rust.
Uh, no. All steels are ferrous, ie iron based. That defines steel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel
The alloying of stainless steels give different types. Oxygen causes rust, ie Iron-oxide. The problem with the wrap is that it traps moistier (water) next to the steel. It prevents it from evaporating. This accelorates the corrostion process know as rust.
Tom
Unread 12-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #26
taynina
2009 JK Wrangler 

That's why it isn't called stainfree. StainLESS. I've seen 316 SST flash rust plenty of times. It all depends on what you're using it for.
taynina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #27
Idwheelthat
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old tech article but I think I can shed some light on the moisture issues being experienced by some.

There is a silicone spray the OP mentioned in his write-up, this is a coating that creates a waterproof seal after wrapping headers. Make sure header wrap is completely dry with a heat gun. Also, I wouldn't worry about having the rattle can ceramic paint baked, it will bake the first time you use it.
Idwheelthat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
100kclub

jet hot coatings hehehe
100kclub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #29
Dean7276
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kclub
jet hot coatings hehehe
X2. Excellent product!!
Dean7276 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #30
nateyz2000
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idwheelthat
I know this is an old tech article but I think I can shed some light on the moisture issues being experienced by some.

There is a silicone spray the OP mentioned in his write-up, this is a coating that creates a waterproof seal after wrapping headers. Make sure header wrap is completely dry with a heat gun. Also, I wouldn't worry about having the rattle can ceramic paint baked, it will bake the first time you use it.
Most header companies put a warning on wraping them, it causes them to deteriorate at a faster pace because they get so hot without being able to have air flowing around them, make sure you are wrapping the ones calling for it not all... Just what I learned...
[CENTER][B][I]Keep on Keep'in on[/I][/B][/CENTER][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Blue"]Built Not Bought #595[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[CENTER]<><[/CENTER]
nateyz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.