JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Technical Articles & Write-Ups (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/)
-   -   Pikes Peak Trailers Off Road Utility Trailer (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/pikes-peak-trailers-off-road-utility-trailer-1143601/)

Keith 12-20-2010 08:49 PM

Pikes Peak Trailers Off Road Utility Trailer

Nestled in the beautiful Rockies is a new start-up company aptly named Pikes Peak Trailers, complete with a stunning view of the Peak just feet away from the shop. Started by Dave and Jen Williams Pikes Peak Trailers solves the problem that most 4x4 and especially Jeep owners have, complete lack of cargo space. The first prototype which is featured in some photographs was built to provide cargo room on multiple cross country adventures done by the couple. After thousands of grueling highway and offroad miles friends and locals started inquiring about getting one made and the concept was born to create a company to offer them.

Dave contacted me several months ago with his product and I instantly liked it. As a CJ owner space on trail rides is a luxury I lack so having a light weight cargo trailer, especially one that is trail capable was an ingenious idea. What drew me in quick was the cedar side construction. I had seen somewhat similar ideas before, but nothing that had the aesthetics of wood sides. Also Dave tongue-in-grooves the boards plus runs a bead of silicone to seal them giving both weight reduction and moisture control.

We drove from San Marcos, Texas to their shop which is literally in the mountains close to Pikes Peak. Just about the most beautiful location for an off roader with trails all around to test on. The trailer was waiting for us just freshly finished.

On initial inspection I could tell they went to lengths to make sure all the components and frame could hold up to abuse. The trailer frame and box frame is all two inch steel. Axle is a 2500lb rated kit with sprung over axle leafs plus they added shocks to limit bumps with it being such a short wheel base. Dave explained fail-safe after fail-safe of using cotter pins, pressed bolts and other techniques to ensure all significant hardware could not fail. All in all I felt safe about the 1000 mile adventure back home with the trailer.

Aesthetically I liked the trailer even more the original trailer Dave sent me pictures of. They used a much lighter stain that gave the trailer a cleaner appearance. I also preferred the full fenders used compared to the half fenders on the prototype. Lots of finishing touches were added to squeeze more utility from it. A rear hitch to attach a bike rack to, multiple tie downs both inside and outside the cargo box, hi-lift jack mounts and an extra front area to mount a jerry can too. Plus, they included several mounts for the sides to install as I wished other items such as a shovel, axe, etc.

We had a long road ahead of us and it was getting dark fast so we had to unfortunately decline Jenís offer of buffalo meatloaf and hit the road. Backing out their snow slick driveway was a challenge with the trailer being so short but it was a quick learn to get the feel of it.

I had some concerns about its ride quality with such a short wheelbase, especially because Colorado has 75 MPH highways. After some light pedaling down the Interstate we got the package up to 75 and after a short while actually forgot at times it was back there. It was like that the whole way home, about the only time you noticed it was back there is when you hit a large dip in the road going at a slow speed, the trailer would hop a bit. Other then slow speed hop it was a flawless, smooth ride all the way back home. We towed it with a small V6 and it had no issue whatsoever dragging it at highway speeds even through the large hills of Colorado/New Mexico.

Overall Iím impressed with the trailer. Itís stout construction throughout for is great for the trails and perfect suspension is balanced to handle fast highway driving. The wood sides shed some pounds and give it uniqueness while not sacrificing much security or integrity of moisture invasion. While I only tested in on the highway I have no doubt of itís trail worthiness and look forward to seeing the review of the lucky JeepForum member who wins this beauty.

Pikes Peak Trailers
Phone: 719.323.1620
152 Skyline Lane
Woodland Park, CO 80863
<a href="http://pikespeaktrailers.com/">http://pikespeaktrailers.com/</a>

fjc1982 12-28-2010 03:19 PM

I'm guessing this is a contest... how do you enter?

AmbuGrl 12-29-2010 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjc1982 (Post 10692526)
I'm guessing this is a contest... how do you enter?

This is a technical write up NOT the contest. Click on the link at the top of the page to be redirected to the contest rules for entry.

Yams 12-31-2010 11:20 PM

How do those shocks accomplish anything? With 3 inches of axle travel, they wouldn't compress an inch. Frame looks weak at the tongue, for something that would be following a jeep over rocks.

Pikes_Peak_Trailers 03-23-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yams (Post 10709740)
How do those shocks accomplish anything? With 3 inches of axle travel, they wouldn't compress an inch. Frame looks weak at the tongue, for something that would be following a jeep over rocks.

Hi - I just now saw this message.

The tongue is 3/16" thick 2" sq tube. Extremely overbuilt. Weak it is not.

As far as the shocks, I am not sure what you mean. The compress when the suspension compresses and help alleviate any rebound effect that the springs have. I have trailers with and without shocks and include shocks because they help - not so much on road but more off road.

Dave.

Slaughty 06-21-2011 06:36 PM

WOW I would have to say this is the best looking trailer I have ever seen on a jeep. I am always driving through woodland park and have seen this trailer on the road. I thought it was a one of. I am definitely going to have to pick one of these bad boys up!

Slaughty 06-21-2011 06:38 PM

Is the top hatch/door removable?

brittonwj 08-04-2011 11:33 PM

That thing is a beauty. your a true arteest

rozco 08-10-2011 01:37 AM

love it. looks awesome too. plan on getting one when more money comes around

PCLS2FLY 09-02-2011 08:50 AM

I second that. A thing of beauty. Just wondering if you have any plans or could install a drop down rear door? If so what would be a round about price I would be looking at to have one built? Thanks

tcanzonieri 11-15-2011 04:17 PM

I was amazed at how reasonable the price seemed for what all is included; only 3k? Guess there is a road trip to Colorado in my future...

Wick3d_187 12-12-2011 05:47 PM

wish i could afford to buy one. But i been wanting something just like that. Would you slap me with a lawsuit if i build one? ( minus the fluff) if so do you have plans or specs i could buy from ya ?

Wick3d_187 12-12-2011 05:49 PM

SCRATCH THAT. Im buying one.

resqman59 12-26-2011 12:50 PM

Hey i like it alot, i luck up and found a m100 trailer out in the woods for 40 bucks...you gave me some good i deas thanks..looks really good

ncparsley 01-15-2012 09:14 PM

I like the trailer soo much that i decided to take a welding class so i could build one. The only thing i am a little shaky on is the axle with. would you mind divulging that trade secret. i promise i won't tell anyone else. :shhh:

The time now is 06:07 PM.