Pikes Peak Trailers Off Highway Utility Trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > Pikes Peak Trailers Off Highway Utility Trailer

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Keith
Admin

Pikes Peak Trailers Off Highway Utility Trailer

Nestled in the beautiful Rockies is a new start-up company aptly named Pikes Peak Trailers, complete with a stunning view of the Peak just feet away from the shop. Started by Dave and Jen Williams Pikes Peak Trailers solves the problem that most 4x4 and especially Jeep owners have, complete lack of cargo space. The first prototype which is featured in some photographs was built to provide cargo room on multiple cross country adventures done by the couple. After thousands of grueling highway and offroad miles friends and locals started inquiring about getting one made and the concept was born to create a company to offer them.

Dave contacted me several months ago with his product and I instantly liked it. As a CJ owner space on trail rides is a luxury I lack so having a light weight cargo trailer, especially one that is trail capable was an ingenious idea. What drew me in quick was the cedar side construction. I had seen somewhat similar ideas before, but nothing that had the aesthetics of wood sides. Also Dave tongue-in-grooves the boards plus runs a bead of silicone to seal them giving both weight reduction and moisture control.

We drove from San Marcos, Texas to their shop which is literally in the mountains close to Pikes Peak. Just about the most beautiful location for an off roader with trails all around to test on. The trailer was waiting for us just freshly finished.

On initial inspection I could tell they went to lengths to make sure all the components and frame could hold up to abuse. The trailer frame and box frame is all two inch steel. Axle is a 2500lb rated kit with sprung over axle leafs plus they added shocks to limit bumps with it being such a short wheel base. Dave explained fail-safe after fail-safe of using cotter pins, pressed bolts and other techniques to ensure all significant hardware could not fail. All in all I felt safe about the 1000 mile adventure back home with the trailer.

Aesthetically I liked the trailer even more the original trailer Dave sent me pictures of. They used a much lighter stain that gave the trailer a cleaner appearance. I also preferred the full fenders used compared to the half fenders on the prototype. Lots of finishing touches were added to squeeze more utility from it. A rear hitch to attach a bike rack to, multiple tie downs both inside and outside the cargo box, hi-lift jack mounts and an extra front area to mount a jerry can too. Plus, they included several mounts for the sides to install as I wished other items such as a shovel, axe, etc.

We had a long road ahead of us and it was getting dark fast so we had to unfortunately decline Jenís offer of buffalo meatloaf and hit the road. Backing out their snow slick driveway was a challenge with the trailer being so short but it was a quick learn to get the feel of it.

I had some concerns about its ride quality with such a short wheelbase, especially because Colorado has 75 MPH highways. After some light pedaling down the Interstate we got the package up to 75 and after a short while actually forgot at times it was back there. It was like that the whole way home, about the only time you noticed it was back there is when you hit a large dip in the road going at a slow speed, the trailer would hop a bit. Other then slow speed hop it was a flawless, smooth ride all the way back home. We towed it with a small V6 and it had no issue whatsoever dragging it at highway speeds even through the large hills of Colorado/New Mexico.

Overall Iím impressed with the trailer. Itís stout construction throughout for is great for the trails and perfect suspension is balanced to handle fast highway driving. The wood sides shed some pounds and give it uniqueness while not sacrificing much security or integrity of moisture invasion. While I only tested in on the highway I have no doubt of itís trail worthiness and look forward to seeing the review of the lucky JeepForum member who wins this beauty.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice trailer overall!
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Amazing! Great work to Pikes Peak!

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
qvfd153
1981 CJ7 

Beautiful, simple, and great design!!
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Pikes_Peak_Trailers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments everyone and thanks to JeepForum.com for their support!

Each trailer is made from scratch by hand. No jigs, outsourcing, etc.

If you have any technical questions you can post them here or in the vendor thread I made where I will be posting pics of new builds, discussing ideas, etc. Here's the thread -

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/p...tions-1142823/

Happy Holidays to All!

Dave
[email]dave@pikespeaktrailers.com[/email]
Pikes_Peak_Trailers is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.