Nutsert Removal and Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > Nutsert Removal and Install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
BDuece

Nutsert Removal and Install

After I installed my 2.25 budget boost I noticed driveline vibrations. So I wanted to lower my transfer case. When I tried removing the 6 bolts holding the skid plate up, only one came out. The other 5 loosened slightly and spun without lowering. When I attempted to tighten them up they kept spinning.

To remove the 5 spinning bolts I needed a 2 foot pry bar and an impact wrench. I put a floor jack under the skid plate, leaving an inch gap between the jack and the skid plate. Working from one side at a time, I inserted the pry bar between the frame rail and the skid plate. As I asserted downward pressure I was able to loosen the bolts. Each bolt would loosen about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch at a time. I would move from one bolt to the next until I had the 3 on each side removed. Once both sides where removed, I jacked the skid plate back into position and supported the transmission with a floor jack. From there I removed the 4 nuts holding the transmission mount and removed the skid.

Here is what the frame rail with the old nutserts looks like. On my 97 they are tack welded at the front and rear of each nutsert.

To remove the old nutserts I used a grinder, a drill with a 9/16 drill bit and an air chisel. The hole in the frame rail is 5/8. I did not want to make the hole any bigger. I used a 9/16 bit and drilled through the existing hole. From there I used a grinder to remove the tack welds. Once they were removed I used an air chisel to pop out the nutsert. This was a little overkill. I probable could have used a hammer and a screwdriver. Once they where out the hole in the frame was untouched. I used the grinder with an 80 grit sanding wheel to grind the rust off of the frame rail.
<<>>

It’s a good idea to prime and paint the frame now.

To install the new nutserts I used the tool pictured below. Thanks to Mrblaine who took the time to call me on the phone and explain how to make the tool.

You can use a 5/8 nut instead, I used the drilled out 9/16 because it fit better over the star lock washer.

If you have a welder I would recommend tack welding the nutserts in place. ( I Did this after I installed them) If you don’t I would recommend putting red loctite around the outside of the nutsert sleeve where it will meet the frame when you insert it into the hole. Once the loctite dries it will help to keep the nutsert from spinning in the future.

Once you insert the tool and nutsert into the frame, its time for a little work out. My arms were screaming by the time I had the fourth one installed. Holding the nut on the tool steady, tighten the bolt. I used an 18” ½ drive ratchet. It gets tough quickly until the nutsert starts to collapse. Once it starts collapsing, it becomes easier until it meets the frame. Tighten the nutsert firmly into place. (90 to 100ft lbs) Once you think its installed tap on the nutsert with a hammer and retighten them. Afetr I installed 2 nutserts I had to replace the star lock washer. By the third nutsert install the washer was too flat to work. Repeat as necessary!

****Newer wranglers use 12mm bolts and nutserts. You will have to make adjustments for your application.****

BDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
pigpenn
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i was just wondering where you bought the new nutserts from?
6 inch rough country long arm
2 inch bl
35 x 15.5 Swamper TSL SX soon to be 38 TSL
Isuzu Dana 44 rear, welded soon to be 14 bolt and a chevy dana 60 front
[COLOR=Yellow][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]YELLOW JEEP CLUB MEMBER #22[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
pigpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I welded Nuts to Washers, washers to a piece of angle Iron, and welded the Angle Iron to the frame, after making room for the nuts to fit up inside the frame. I went one size larger on the bolts/ nuts.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
LouC
2007 WK 

I bought a nutsert installing tool (basically like a big rivet gun) from a local tool company here in LI and I found that they sell brass colored nutserts that have a knurled outside barrel that grips a lot better than the smooth ones that ChryCo used...I'd use those instead.....
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Not to drag up an old subject, but does anyone have any info on where to buy the nutsets and the tool to install them?

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
WranglerMangler
2002 KJ Liberty 

is this what you are looking for?
Nutsert Tool Kit
WranglerMangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Makes one consider removing each bolt once per year and applying never-seize. Kind of like changing the oil every once in a while.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
99XJBeast
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How do you use the tool? That's my only question.
99XJBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
99XJBeast
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What is the purpose of the loose spinning nut, like how do you actually use the tool?
99XJBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
stevefarling
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The nut, star washer, and nutsert, become one unit when you tighten the bolt. By using a wrench on the nut you can stop the nutsert from turning while tightening the bolt to compress the nutsert. I hope this makes sense.
[FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][COLOR="Silver"]SILVER JEEP OWNERS GROUP - MEMBER #61[/COLOR]
stevefarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
Yuri
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So they go in from the bottom? That makes more sense now. Thanks for doing this write-up for us!

This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway: Why couldn't you just re-weld the existing nutzerts? If the threads were messed-up, you could have run a tap through them. Could this have been done?
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
So they go in from the bottom? That makes more sense now. Thanks for doing this write-up for us!

This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway: Why couldn't you just re-weld the existing nutzerts? If the threads were messed-up, you could have run a tap through them. Could this have been done?
With the *relative* ease and cheapness of replacements, I'd rather replace them than deal with trying to fix them.

Unread 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So the nutsert slides freely in to the existing hole and colapses (pinching the frame to stay in place) when you tighten the bolt?

Why Jeeps are Better.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxQhuwMNOVs[/url]
SolidBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBrass View Post
So the nutsert slides freely in to the existing hole and colapses (pinching the frame to stay in place) when you tighten the bolt?
You sir are correct.

When I fixed my rear bumpstop on my XJ with them, I practiced on an old door first.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.