How to Recalibrate your Digital Speedometer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > How to Recalibrate your Digital Speedometer

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
tcox
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How to Recalibrate your Digital Speedometer

i saw a few months ago where somebody was wanting to use one of these but was not sure on how to set it up. i have since installed one on my TJ and would like to share how to do this. if you have a gear driven speed-o-meter this doesn't pertain to you. however if you have a tone wheel in your t-case, like that of a Rubicon or on some after market SS SYE kits, than this may be of some help.

so in your tone-wheeled jeep with larger tires and different diff gears this is important so you know how fast or slow you are going and how many miles you are racking up. you do have other options like the thing from superlift (about 200) or that other thing that somebody else makes (also about 200). or you can buy the SGI-5 from Dakota Digital for about $80 from places like Summit.

with all that said and done it is time for the install.
1) pick a good location to mount the box. you will want some place that is safe from attack by water and other elements but that is also easily accessible to adjust the calibration at a moments notice. i used the side of my glove box right next to the dash speaker.

2) find a place to tap 12V+ when the key is in the on position. this will go in the cleverly named "power" port
3) find a good ground for the unit. this wire shall go in the "ground" port
4) run the wires for your input and output terminals. i found using a hunk of good ole speaker wire was a wise choice as there needs to be a wire going from, and to the speed sensor and this just keeps the wire running to a minimal.

5) this is the no turning back point. cut the signal wire (i chose to cut it on the vehicle side of the wiring harness) and leave enough room for a butt connector on each side of the cut (the signal wire on my application was the tan/brown wire. this may not be true for all sensors).

strip both ends of the wire and get them ready for the butt connector. now take one side of the speaker wire from step 4 and splice it to the pre stripped end of the signal wire. take the other side of the speaker wire and splice it to the other pre-stripped end of the signal wire hanging from the jeep. basically what we have done here is add a long piece of wire to the signal wire. NOTE: you will want to know which side of the speaker wire is attached to the sensor, and which side is attached to the computer.

6) go back to the SGI module and attach the wires. you will want to use input for the piece of wire attached to the sensor. and for the wire connected to the computer side, use output 3. NOTE: this should hold true to all jeeps and Chrysler vehicles but dont hold me to that.

7) set the 4 small white switches
switch 1 on
switch 2 off
switch 3 on
switch 4 off

8) installation is complete. time to make sure you didn't screw anything up

start the jeep and drive it. if the little green light blinks as you roll all is well. this means the signal is running through the little black box and back out to the jeep. another good sign is the speedometer is giving feedback.

if all is well it is time to calibrate the do-hickey. do this however you like as long as it is safe. the tried and true grab your closest friend with GPS and can follow directions and communicate properly seams to work for me. please be aware that there is some lag between the GPS and the speedometer. it is probable best to do the calibration on long flat roads with no stops.

mash the up and down buttons accordingly until the display reads the correct speed. i think that should cover it. happy jeepin!

tcox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
deltabravo

I know a few Rubi owners that have tried that doo-dad (took me a while to figure out that you were talking about the "dakota Digital" unit) and they have mixed results.... usually the thing acts all sorts of screwy. Maybe they reworked the electronics in it and upgraded it since they used it.

good write up and photos... but maybe at the very start you might have mentioned that you were installing the "Dakota Digital" speedo recalibrator....
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
slippy1

talk about screwy installed one with a friend on my tj and now every once and a while it seems to spike, and send the needle around to 180 and put the miles on like its actually going that fast, even while sitting at the lights checked everything twice, just might have to live with it, any thoughts? simon
slippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
longarm

Thats funny, my local dealership told me $75.00 to recalibrate my 05 rubi. They said something about a flash to the computer.
longarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
jboy416
Wrangler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

works fine for me...sure it spike once and a while but its $80 compared to the $200 the truspeed is worth
Unread 02-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
BulldogTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread man! Ill be doing mine next week on my 98TJ! Right now Ive got a Check Engine Light on because Ive got no SPEEDO!!!!!! That light is bright!

[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Orange"]'98 TJ 4.0L, AX-15 5spd, NP231, RE 4.5 rear, 3"&.75" BB front, JKS discos, 33x12.50 KM2s on Rock Crawlers, 3.73s, Dana30 front, Dana 44 rear, JB Conversions SS SYE, JKS HD Tierod, Warn 8274 Winch, Front Stinger and Rear stinger w/ tire carrier, Rokmen Corners, Aluminum Radiator, LED tailights, Rock Lights, KCs, K&N airfilter, Optima Redtop, Cobra CB and a Sony soundbar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
BulldogTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

help me out...

quick question, do i have a speedo gear in my 06 sport 6spd? if so, i have 3.73's and am moving up to 33" tires withing the next month. what gear do i get?

otherwise, i need one of those electronic converters, right?
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
BlackSCRunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by longarm View Post
Thats funny, my local dealership told me $75.00 to recalibrate my 05 rubi. They said something about a flash to the computer.
Can they really do this? Does it only recal. to factory specs or does it account for larger tires and/or gearing changes? Why don't more people do this? Cheaper than the gadgets and 1 less thing to break. Anyone actually had a dealer do this successfully?
BlackSCRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
ziaholic
180 lb Gorilla

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSCRunner View Post
Can they really do this? Does it only recal. to factory specs or does it account for larger tires and/or gearing changes? Why don't more people do this? Cheaper than the gadgets and 1 less thing to break. Anyone actually had a dealer do this successfully?
The computer in a TJ does not have very many options to re-flash. The gear ratios top out at 4.56, and the tire sizes don't go very high either.

I had a thread a couple years ago that discusses the ability to flash a TJ using the SuperChips tuner. Conclusion: great for a JK, not so great for a TJ.

(here's a link)

JK ... flash it.
TJ ... speedo-gear or recalibrator per the OP

Video: Moab '05 GoldenCrack MyStockRubi
Video: Moab '07 GoldenCrack MyLiftedRubi
ziaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.