Head Gasket Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > Head Gasket Replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 08-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Vertical Norm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Head Gasket Replacement

This was my first major repair and I found it fairly difficult to get instructions for someone without extensive mechanical knowledge. i'll assume that the reader has little mechanical experience as well.

Before you read any of the following, it's vital to ALWAYS document what parts came off of what. Use ziplock bags to put bolts for different things in them and label the bag. Never leave your bolts or nuts laying loose on a table unlabeled.

First things first: grab a camera and take a few shots from different angles around the engine compartment. You'll thank yourself later on when you're holding a mystery piece in your hand and haven't the foggiest idea where it came from.

Disconnect your negative battery terminal.

Drain your coolant. If you've never done this before, it's very simple. located at the very bottem of your radiator on the passenger side is a small metal plug. simply unscrew this plug (not all the way, just enough for there to be a steady stream coming out) and let the coolant drain into a bucket placed beneath it.

Remove your air intake. It's not necessary to remove the box part, just the tube that attaches it to the intake.

There are several lines that run to your throttle body. 2 lines without cruise control and an extra line with cruise control. all of the lines need to be removed. they should all simply snap or pop off of the throttle body. to remove them from the bracket simply pinch the inside part and force outward. these lines most likely are also connected to a plastic bracket located on the valve cover. remove them from that and tuck them aside somewhere away from the valve cover. make sure they will not pop out. While you're at the intake, remove the line running from the back of the valve cover to the intake.

Remove the hose connecting the coolant reservoir to the radiator. i'd recomend disconecting it at the radiator end. the entire coolant reservoir is removable by pushing it outwards and pulling upwards. if yours looks anything like mine did, i'd highly recomend giving it a good washing.
<<>>

Disconnect the hose connecting the radiator to the thermostat housing. it's easier to disconnect it at the radiator end. remove the fan shroud. 4 screws at each corner hold it in place. remove the heater hose from the thermostat housing. remove the thermostat housing.

Time to loosen the serpentine belt! chrysler had two methods of doing this. one is through the power steering pump and the other is a tensioner spring located under the alternator. with the power steering pump method, there is a bolt located at the bottom of the power steering pump. by loosening this bolt, you loosen the tension of the belt. the other method (the one i have) is with a tesnioner spring. to loosen this place a 1/2 inch socket drive into the hole and rotate in a clockwise direction. once the belt lacks tension, simply remove it from any of wheels.

Remove the power steering pump from the intake manifold. no need to remove the hoses just set it in the corner there, making sure it's upright.

Remove the two bolts attaching the alternator to the head.

Remove your spark plugs. if you have a distributor, DON'T FORGET TO LABEL which corresponds to which cylinder.

The following part is by far the most difficult part of this entire procedure; disconnecting the intake & exhaust manifold. there are five bolts on top which are very easily accessible. there are six bolts underneath which will take you a very long & aggravating time to remove. 2 of the 6 are accessible from on top but the other 4 you have to go under the vehicle and snake your arm up there. With some wacky extensions and improvisations, you'll be able to remove them.

Now remove the valve cover bolts. in addition to all of the bolts there may be 2 nuts also holding it on. remove those as well. It's not very visible, but there is a "hidden" bolt in the back of the valve cover so don't forget about that one. To take it off, some force may be required. A soft face mallet works best. DO NOT PRY VALVE COVER OFF WITH A SCREWDRIVER! Doing so can damage the gasket or other components.

Take off the valve cover gasket. I'm not sure how many jeep vehicles this applies to but my valve cover gasket is reusable. If you have a reusable one just clean it up, other wise you'll have to get a new one.

This step is optional though if your engine has any age on it, i'd recommend it. Paint the valve cover. To do this, wash it out with soap and water getting all of the dirt off. Use a metal scrub pad or sand paper to coarsen the surface of the valve cover. Wipe clean, prime it, paint it. Make sure to use HIGH HEAT PAINT ONLY!

<<>>

Now remove the push rods. Loosen the rocker arms in pairs (ie:1/4 turn for the exhaust, 1/4 turn for the intake) While doing this, make sure you're holding the pushrods, because you wouldn't want them to fall into the engine. As you're removing the pushrods, it's vital that you have SOME WAY TO MARK WHICH PUSH ROD CORRESPONDS TO WHICH ROCKER. The best method i've found is to find a small box, punch 12 holes in a line in the top of the box, and label it front and back.

Remove the head bolts. To do this you will most definitely need a breaker bar. Some of them are different than others and i'm not sure if they need to be put in the same hole but i always do just to be safe and things usually end up fitting back together better when i do that. The manual says the headbolts may be reused once but no more than once. If there is paint on any of the bolts, this means they have been removed and reinstalled already and you need to buy new ones.

Now it's time to remove the head. Before doing so, make sure there are no electricals attached to it anywhere and if there are, remove them. Double check again that absolutely nothing is attached to the head because you wouldn't want to make an unexpected run to the auto store. You'll notice that on the very front and rear of the head there are two bolts that protrude out and into the headers. Pull the headers back and if they don't stay in clearance of the bolts you have to secure them using straps or have a friend hold them back. The head is very heavy and the best way i found to lift it is to put your fingers into spark plug holes and exhaust holes.

Now that the head's off it's time to scrape off all of the old gasket. Get it all off of the manifolds and the block/bottom of the head. don't use a screwdriver but instead use a scraper or chisel. Also, while your heads out you should change your valve seals. This is done by going to an auto store and renting the tool. The tool will have detailed instructions so i don't have to cover them in this write-up.

Place your exhaust/intake manifold gasket on the protruding bolts of the head. Line up the new headgasket with the block and place it on there making sure it's facing the right direction. Some people say to use RTV sealant or equivalent to help the gasket stay in place but this is A BAD IDEA! DO NOT USE any adhesives on the head gasket. Place the head on the gasket and make sure not to slide it. If you didn't get it lined up correctly, lift the head up and move it over. If you slide it, the gasket could be damaged.

Torque the head to your vehicle's specs and install everything else in the opposite order of which you removed it.

*** Side Notes ***

- The thermostat housing has a gasket also which should be replaced when the thermostat housing is removed. You may choose to use RTV sealant instead of the gasket though.

- Be sure all hose clamps are tight.

- If your coolant looks old, it should be replaced.

- Dispose of all fluids responsibly and appropriately

Vertical Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Can you remove the head with out taking the intake and exhaust manifolds off?
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yes you can remove the head with the exhaust and intake on but i recommend using a cherry picker to pull that heavy sonova***** outta there
Unread 09-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
G_baller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

just did a gasket on my 93 cherokee country i just purchased for 300$!! your instuctions are very good and the exact same process and order i did the job.. Its really not that hard and if u remove the whole air box u can get to most of the bottom bolts on the manifold. I just finished the jeep last night, hooked up a battery to it and it started no belt or alternator. It didnt idle and when i let my foot of the gas it died, only had it runnin for about 3-4 seconds.. I am pleased with getting this done and would use your instuctions for sure if the job was new to me!!! have a good one, glen
G_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
F1504x2

Valve Adjustment Question

Morning,

I just have one question, how do you adjust the rockers/valves after installing the head?

Thanks, John
F1504x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
Sitnalta

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1504x2 View Post
Morning,

I just have one question, how do you adjust the rockers/valves after installing the head?

Thanks, John

They require no adjustment.
Sitnalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
fortyfreak9
1990 XJ Cherokee 

You torque them down to 19 ft pounds.
fortyfreak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
live4something
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Should you use anything on the head gasket such as a sealent or just use the gasket with nothing on it
live4something is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4something View Post
Should you use anything on the head gasket such as a sealent or just use the gasket with nothing on it
at the end of his write-up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical Norm View Post
Some people say to use RTV sealant or equivalent to help the gasket stay in place but this is A BAD IDEA! DO NOT USE any adhesives on the head gasket.

nice write-up and good work
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
gokblok
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Gasket Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_baller View Post
just did a gasket on my 93 cherokee country i just purchased for 300$!! your instuctions are very good and the exact same process and order i did the job.. Its really not that hard and if u remove the whole air box u can get to most of the bottom bolts on the manifold. I just finished the jeep last night, hooked up a battery to it and it started no belt or alternator. It didnt idle and when i let my foot of the gas it died, only had it runnin for about 3-4 seconds.. I am pleased with getting this done and would use your instuctions for sure if the job was new to me!!! have a good one, glen
I have a 93 country that i'm about to do as well, and I have a question about the FelPro gasket set (autozone.com @ AutoZone.com Enlarged Image). It includes the head gasket, valve cover gasket, intake/exhaust gasket, exhaust pipe gasket, thermostat gasket, valve seals and another gasket that I can't identify. I haven't found in the procedures I've looked at any other gaskets that I would need to replace. Does anybody know what this other gasket is? It's two bolts, with the half-moon hole above the circular hole in the picture at the link above.

Thanks for any input!!
gokblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #11
Shane1447

Just did this to an 01 i just picked up for cheap. only thing i did different was i had the head planed also. i recommend doing that if you do this job. often times when the engine overheats the head can warp, as was the case with mine. it would have cost $200 to have it checked, or just 78 to have it planed. i went the cheap route and it was uber-warped. all good now though!
Shane1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
Jeepeter

Hello,
I have a Grand Cherokee laredo 2001. I need to replace the head gasket.
Do you have to disconnect the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold to remove the manifold ?
What are the torque values for the manifold bolts ? Does the #6 & 7 bolts have a different torque value ?
Thank You
Jeepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bump... Thanks for the write up ... this is the best one I have found(by alot) .... alright project is under way .. your the man ...

I called around and no one had a valve gasket tool i could rent.... do I HAVE to have the tool to put them in?
Project1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
2010jeepJK

Awesome write up...I could have used this about 3 weeks ago
2010jeepJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
golfhunting6

awsome i will definatly be using thios tomorow to do mine and do u need that valve seal tool inorder to replace?
golfhunting6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.