G/2 Core44 front JK axle housing - surprised - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > G/2 Core44 front JK axle housing - surprised

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesThe Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 04-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
RWKHaus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

G/2 Core44 front JK axle housing - surprised

Well I have built many many Currie rockjock44's and dozen or so, Teraflex Tera44's. But Currie can take months to get. Teraflex also runs out of stock at times. So, G/2 having come out with their JK front replacement housing, opened up another avenue. My only issue is that anything Transamerican (G/2, Procomp, smittybilt, etc) is the worst when it comes to customer service on the wholesale side. Any issues can take weeks to get resolved and then gets passed on, and no one is happy.

I finally got my hands on one of their Core44 housings a few days ago, to build. Now I am lost as to why they offered up the Metric (rubi replacement) carrier center, and not the SAE that allows any traditional carrier, to start. But, the Metric has been avail like 6 months and still no SAE.

SO bought everything for a JK 35spline D44 front build, based around their Metric center.

I have been happily surprised.

First I have to say, for a company that is owned by a company, that imports I would say 95% of all their products for all their companies, this housing center and cover is Made in The USA. I dont know if they use USA made tubing for the tubes, or if the end forgings are USA, but would assume they are, since they boast on the, Made in The USA fact when advertising their Core44. And the brackets, IDK either, but again would expect them to be also made here.

The housing has one major "gimmick", spanner carrier preload adjusters. They actually are very nice. Kinda odd to start, but all makes sense with why each bolt and such is where it is.

The cover is aluminum and odd shaped, so proprietary, but Nice. The tubes are a bit smaller then Tera, but same dia as Currie. Brackets are Nice. Welds look robotic and strong, with thick material. The end forgings (inner C's) are robust. It comes powdercoated, and with upper CA bushings. Another nice touch that is unique is the LCA mounts have square cams included with new LCA hardware. So, there is 3 or 4 poss caster adjustments avail in just the mounts.

The ARB install was a breeze. I had to get a housing locker plug kit for the ARB to Core44. It was only a few bucks. It could have been machined/threaded a bit better though. I had to get out the tap and cut the threads some to allow the ARB bulk head to actually fit/thread in. The Carrier preload adjusters are unique as mentioned. The bearing caps are Huge and have a predetermined seal housing hose exit location though them. SO I dont know how a Yukon Zip might line up if going that route, or a how a E-locker would even work with it. But maybe thats why only the metric housing is out so far. So they only have to worry about stock Rubi locker or the ARB locker, and it lines up fine for those.

The axle shaft seals are just dana 60 and thats nice, rather than some custom #.

Setup was Exactly as Currie RJD44 takes, in shim selection and thickness and dead on, first setup.

It has some different style coil bucket pads and bump stop pads, than any others I ever seen. Billet bump stop pads are bolted thru the coil pad, to a billet lower piece that the spring pig tail sits on. Hard to explain. I will take some pictures. But it allows the spring to sit in a progressive groove and not just a flat pad. Very nice looking, with good purpose also I think.

I havent seen anything really on this housing yet on the forums, but I am more in the TJ and XJ areas. Thought I would pass this along to anyone interested and considering a Core44. I will be installing it in to a JK in 2 days. I might report back with some criticism or some more praise, I dont know yet. But it looks like it should be a direct bolt in.

I would say at this point, G/2 did alot better than I thought they would have, at their first attempt on a aftermarket axle housing.

Unread 04-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Awesome write up. Thanks.
Unread 04-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
RWKHaus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Well a few more pictures. Doesnt seem like many are interested at this time. But I think this housing is a Firm contender for the Front D44 JK crowd.

And a few more points of poss interest.
The upper mount is bolted on, and can be removed if needed for a truss system etc.

The housing center/cover is wider and the cover sticks out slightly, so a aftermarket stabilizer bracket has to be positioned with care, or it will touch the cover when turning left.

Unread 04-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.