Easy way to trim Factory Flares - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > Easy way to trim Factory Flares

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 12-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
jr5684
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did the same on my 87 wrangler, except I had a fifth of whiskey and no gloves. Results, it looks great and some how I still have all of my digits!

jr5684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Diablo 331,
Dude, that was some awesome freehand work. I was just thinking of trimming mine. I installed some 7" wide ones after I upgraded my wheels a few years back. I have been getting sick of the current look and I came across your thread and was impressed with your work.
Unfortunatly, I am all too familiar with my freehand work and I personally would not attempt this myself. I do however work well with tools and machinery. I am contemplating a way to use a router with some sort of a guide or "jig" to assist me with a controlled cut and achieve the desired results. I just had to compliment you on your great craftsmanship. My hands aren't as steady so I will be looking for a mechanical aide to steady the router.
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #18
monkeee2002
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richd1963 View Post
Diablo 331,
Dude, that was some awesome freehand work. I was just thinking of trimming mine. I installed some 7" wide ones after I upgraded my wheels a few years back. I have been getting sick of the current look and I came across your thread and was impressed with your work.
Unfortunatly, I am all too familiar with my freehand work and I personally would not attempt this myself. I do however work well with tools and machinery. I am contemplating a way to use a router with some sort of a guide or "jig" to assist me with a controlled cut and achieve the desired results. I just had to compliment you on your great craftsmanship. My hands aren't as steady so I will be looking for a mechanical aide to steady the router.
I marked mine along the straight edge using a "jig" of sorts.
Mind you, I only trimmed about 1-1/2". I nailed 2 pieces of wood together in an "X". Slide one board along the inside of the flare, pinch a boxcutter on the other side of the board to score a line along the fender.

I also used a paint stripping wheel in a drill to get an even radius in the corners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.