DIY Mirror Relocation Brackets -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > DIY Mirror Relocation Brackets

Jeep Wrangler TJ 8.8 Axle Swap Kit24-Hour Columbus Day Sale from Morris 4x4 Center!!!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Closed Thread
Unread 07-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
1995 YJ Wrangler 
DIY Mirror Relocation Brackets

I was in need of some mirror relocation brackets because I love going doorless but hate not having mirrors. I had read many threads containing other bracket solutions and none of them struck my fancy. Then while standing in the garage one day... ! Factory mirrors are mounted on hard doors by way of the upper hinge bracket!

Here are the parts needed:

2 - Upper hinge brackets off of hard doors pre-93
2 - Factory YJ mirrors
6 - 1/4" x 20 x 1" allen flat screw
6 - 1/4" x 20 nylon locknut
4 - 3/8" external tooth lockwasher
2 - 3/8" lockwasher
2 - 5/16" x 18 keps nut (nut with external tooth lockwasher attached)
Satin Black rattle paint

(I will document the process for the passenger side, just duplicate for the driver side)

Step 1:
Remove the hinges from your hard doors *If you have purchased the brackets, skip this step

Step 2:
Place the stock mirror mount on the hinge, line it up with the two existing holes and trace around it.

Step 3:
Use whatever cutting tool you would like and remove excess material. I dont have tons of tools, so I used a jigsaw and a dremel with a cut-off wheel to finish it up. *NOTE* cut to the inside of the line so that the bracket is slightly smaller than the mirror mount

Step 4:
Place the mirror mount on the bracket and mark for the third hole.

Step 5:
Drill out the hole.

Step 6:
Spray some primer on the hinge so that the cut ends wont rust.

Step 7:
Follow that up with the paint. It doesnt need to be perfect, most of it will be covered by the mirror mount.

Step 8:
Attach the mirror mount to the hinge bracket using 3 of the 1/4" x 20 screws and the nylon locknuts.

Step 9:

Using 2 of the external tooth lockwashers, 1 standard lockwasher and 1 keps nut, attach the assembly to the upper hinge on your Jeep.

Be sure to place the washers as so;

--------- External tooth lockwasher
--------- Standard lockwasher
--------- External tooth lockwasher

The lockwashers keep the assembly from turning in the hinge hole.

Step 10:

Re-install the mirror the mirror mount.

Step 11:
Sit back, relish in what you have just done and enjoy a frosty beverage YOU DESERVE IT

attentionwhore is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.