DIY Hardtop Hoist System - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > DIY Hardtop Hoist System

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #16
radsavage2000tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone had any problems of warpage of the hardtop from it hanging for extended periods of time?

radsavage2000tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #17
TJWilley
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's fiberglass. It isn't going to warp, but it would not survive a fall very well. If you entend to leave it hanging, be sure your hooks are not going to slip off.
TJWilley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #18
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey007 View Post
Great idea, I'm going to try the boat winch.
Great idea with a boat winch! i think i will do the same thing as well. My only concern is lowering it down because once you release the winch the crank will want to pull out of your hands. Just a thought but i think i might be over thinking it
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
radsavage2000tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The boat winch I have has a ratio of 4.1:1. The handle should not slip out of your hand, you have a pretty good amount of torque with that ratio. Correct me if I am wrong.
radsavage2000tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
TJWilley
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsavage2000tj View Post
The boat winch I have has a ratio of 4.1:1. The handle should not slip out of your hand, you have a pretty good amount of torque with that ratio. Correct me if I am wrong.
It has never been a problem for me. I have used mine several times now, and you use the ratchet when you are removing the top, so no danger of it slipping there. If it were to be an issue, it would occure when you are putting the top back on and you have the lever flipped so you can lower the top into place.

Again, I have done this many times and it has never been a problem. The top isn't as heavy as a boat. That winch was built for bigger loads.
TJWilley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #21
outlawsix
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What is the distance from the rear of the hoist frame to where it balances out at on ya'll lift systems for TJ's?
outlawsix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #22
Jhkinin
2012 JK Wrangler 

A big "Thank You" to the author of this thread.
I bought a hand crank winch (1,000 lb rating), 4 new tie downs, 10' unistrut (for T-bar), foam padding, and some miscellaneous hardware. A total of $60 and few hours labor and its done. Currently its hanging free but I plan on adding some lag bolts, chain and 2 x 4's so I can take the weight off the winch/t-bar.
Jhkinin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #23
JaredL

Do I need the t bar? I have no idea where to get something like that made up.. Has anyone tried just using a rope "x" or anything? I don't want to store the hard top hanging. I just want to be able to get it back on in the fall.
JaredL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #24
1320quick
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredL View Post
Do I need the t bar? I have no idea where to get something like that made up.. Has anyone tried just using a rope "x" or anything? I don't want to store the hard top hanging. I just want to be able to get it back on in the fall.
I've built 2 lifts in the past 4 months using ideas from this thread. For the lift I built for my TJ, I welded up a "T" using 1 1/4" square tubing. When I just built one a few weeks ago for my dad's LJ, we made an "I" using Uni-strut and just bolted it together one both ends using 1/2" grade 5 bolts. I think it was like 4' on each end and 5' in the middle. So I guess to answer your question, I guess there is more than one way to do this and it's all about what you want. If you don't have a welder or know someone who does, you can always use uni-strut and bolt it together to form the "T".
1320quick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #25
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhkinin
A big "Thank You" to the author of this thread.
I bought a hand crank winch (1,000 lb rating), 4 new tie downs, 10' unistrut (for T-bar), foam padding, and some miscellaneous hardware. A total of $60 and few hours labor and its done. Currently its hanging free but I plan on adding some lag bolts, chain and 2 x 4's so I can take the weight off the winch/t-bar.
Nice job. I need to do this!!!
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
ExtremeLED
ExtremeLEDLightBars.com

1999 TJ Wrangler 

A real cheap version is to use just a rope hoist like this one $6 and 2 ratchet straps (these are $17 for 4, but you can split it with a friend...so $9). Then a rope cleat ($4) to tie off the rope when it is up and finally an eye lag bolt (or 2 if you want to spread the weight, but I just use one for a TJ top).

Total Cost: $20
(most people seem to have extra ratchet straps laying around...so you could really end up costing you only like $10.)

Take one ratchet strap and run it front to back and tighten it just to be snug. The run the other from the middle of the side window over to the middle of the other side window...just lift the top a little and place the hooks under the edge.

Hang your hoist using the eye lag bolt(s), mount your rope cleat on the wall. Lower the hoist hook and hook it under the ratchet straps where they intersect on the top so that both straps are in the hook. Hoist away.

Besides being cheap... you can hang it close to the back wall as with the straps, you can close the rear window...something you can't do with metal hooks.
ExtremeLED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #27
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

I did this with my titan's camper shell. The pictures and final product are towards the end.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...l-storing.html
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #28
MudDigger2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

test

just testing
MudDigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #29
xxxxxxxxxxxxhilde
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my take - straps and eye-bolts into rafters. A Jeep-produced video (linked somewhere on this forum) mentioned the weight of the hardtop was around 140 lbs.

xxxxxxxxxxxxhilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #30
xxxxxxxxxxxxhilde
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The hard-top hoists range from simple to complex. Here's my stab at one - eye-bolts and straps.
xxxxxxxxxxxxhilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.