Contico Tuff Bin installed in Unlimited w/ rear seat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > Contico Tuff Bin installed in Unlimited w/ rear seat

UCF Tax Refund Sale - Last One of the Year!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Contico Tuff Bin installed in Unlimited w/ rear seat

Contico Tuff Bin installed in Unlimited w/ rear seat

As we all know the Wrangler is the perfect vehicle. That said even the perfect vehicle has its flaw, which for the wrangler is a secure storage space large enough to fit all our toys that go along with the Jeep.

I wanted something I could lock up, as well as easily remove for when I needed to take full advantage of the Unlimited’s trunk area. After looking at different option$ I decided to give the Contico Tuff Bin a try. It looked to be just the right size to fit behind my Unlimited’s rear seat, and it was much more affordable than the alternatives.

I stopped by Lowes and picked one up.

This seemed to be the perfect solution I was looking for. Tuff, lockable, easy to remove, and affordable!

Well as luck would have it, it was just a tiny bit too big. I could close the tailgate, but was unable to secure the rear window. I also could not lift up the lid due to it pressing into the rear seat.

So time to modify my multi thousand dollar jeep to fit my $55 box.

I pulled the carpet and rear seat and started to look at moving the seat forward. Lockable storage takes precedence over passenger leg room, heck they should buy their own jeep instead of always riding in mine.

After breaking a cheap torx bit I went and bought a set with a lifetime guarantee, and I finally got the brackets out. Turns out there are seven different holes in these brackets and only four bolts. I moved the 3rd bolt back one hole, which was 2.75”. This moved the bracket and seat forward 2.75”. I put the seat back in and test fit the Contico Bin again. It fit much better. Unfortunately I lost 2.75” of leg room for my rear passengers, but that is only 0.75” less than the SWB TJ.

I decided to go ahead with modifying the brackets to fit the storage bin. I marked up the bracket and re positioned two holes to reuse the threaded holes in the floor. In the following picture the original bolt placement holes are circled. The 3rd bolt back got moved back one hole( the 2.75” dim.) and I drilled 2 new holes which are the circles with a + in them.

Here you can see the new holes compared next to the other bracket. (The 3.5” Dim. is the distance between mounting holes.)

Here you can see the bracket in its new location. As well as the old storage area for my air hose and emergency polo shirt.

I did not want my cramped passengers to bang their heels on the bracket’s overhang in the foot well so I decided to trim it off. I left all the original holes so I can revert to stock locations should the need arise.

I hit the places where I drilled and cut the brackets with some paint and replaced the wonderful torx bolts with hex head bolts. I do not remember the size right now but they were metric.

The brackets went back in only using 3 out of the 4 bolts. The 4th bolt hole could be drilled through the floor with a backing plate and nut but I did not do this at this time.

Well now everything fit beautifully. The door will close, I can fit the window bar in the slot, and open the lid without it hitting the rear seat.

Well now I had to prevent someone from lifting my box with all my gear out of the back, although its pretty heavy as is. My solution to this was 2 cable clamps 8 links of chain, aluminum backing plate and some locks. Already had everything but the locks sitting around.

Drilling holes in my new box.

Inside, showing the backing plate.

What the front looks like.

The lose ends of the chain have since been locked to the tie down brackets in the back. This will prevent someone from lifting the box out and keeps it secured to the floor when hitting the tougher curbs at the mall. Yet I can remove the box by unlocking 2 locks.

Right away I noticed a problem with the engineering of this box. It was a ***** to open with one hand! As you can see in the picture below there is no lip to lift the lid with, well I added a little handle so you can twist the knob and lift up with the same hand.

Lastly I picked up a set of 4 mater locks and keys that had plastic around the body so they would not bang and scratch up my tailgate, all of which are all opened with the same key.

Over all I am pretty happy with this solution. It fits my budget, fits my jeep with a little modifying, and was the answer to what I was looking for.

I have not tried to lower my top with this box. I think it will interfere slightly with it and it may not sit quite as low. That said I don’t drop my top all that often, usually I remove the doors and lose the side windows, but keep the top for the shade, and plan to run a safari top all summer when I can afford it.

And here she is with locked up.

Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
JeepGuyBrian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Just stumbled upon this when doing a search... Very cool project and a great idea! Well done, and thanks for a great write-up!
JeepGuyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
wrubicon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Trunk

I put the exact box in my 2006 TJ Unlimited, but instead of modifying the Jeep,
I cut out the section of the box that was in the way with a grinder. The box fits perfect, but if I want to lock the box with a key I need to open the back door, but If I use locks I can leave the door closed and still have access to the trunk (box).
And to secure the box to the frame, I put a 1/4 inch cable through the tie downs already present on the bed, drilled two holes on the back of the trunk and secured the cable from the inside of the box with two cable clamps like the ones you used.
both way's work just fine, I was just to lazy too do what you did.

Looks good..
wrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Firedog13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just recently purchased that exact same box, and for the same reason. Its one of the few boxes that actually fits well in the back of the Jeep. Most are either too wide or much too small. I like the way you secured it to the floor. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the bottom of the box and securing it into the same location of the backseat seatbelt buckles. My rear seat will be removed.

I also like the way you fashioned a lift handle for one handed operation. I may have to copy this idea.
Unread 06-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
fullhouse

interesting!great project, just wanna know how long you get on that?Does it give a new record?
fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a big heavy duty lockable rubbermaid container i've been considering using for stuff like: extra serpentine belt, fluids, recovery gear and other jeep related stuff. I'm trying to make use of the space my unlimted has and then make some more with exterior racks and such.
Unread 09-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
gumby4life53
2006 LJ Wrangler 

delta toolbox

With the same desire to use the space tj's don't have i purchased a delta utility chest. i wish i found your article first. i paid more for mine($105 on amazon) but needed less mods. for 5 bucks at the local hardware store i upgraded the standard lock to a tougher one. the delta toolbox is watertight, lockable and fits into the back of my lj without modification. there are 2 mounting brackets bolted to the jeep and the toolbox mounts to the brackets. they are locked to the brackets from inside the box. with 2.2 cu. ft. of space it is smaller but it holds tools, recovery gear, dry clothes and i still have room between it and the backs seat for beach chairs or whatever. it also has a small tool tray which is great for air gauges, multi-tools or anything else small that goes right to the bottom. it's just another option to lock up/store that extra gear without worrying about theft. its one of the best things i've done to my jeep so far. great detailed writeup and pics.
gumby4life53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
CaptD

2013 JK Wrangler 

Your thread gave me the idea to try this in my 2DR JK. I removed my back seats and voila, it works great! I now have lots of room to store tools and recovery gear. I did a variation on the mounting; I used coated, SS cable and wire rope clamps located inside the box to keep it secured. I'm keeping an eye on the holes to make sure they're not getting enlarged. If that starts to be a problem I'll make some backing plates. Cheers!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.